Great video on aero wheels, what you need to know
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Great video on aero wheels, what you need to know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Great video, thanks for posting. Lots of nuances in the real work compound choices wheel/tire/frame combinations including interaction between the components from an aero standpoint plus rolling resistance, manageability in cross winds, comfort, reliability and weight.

I'm surprised more tire design work hasn't been done to help keep the airflow attached. Seems adding texture at the right point and smoothing the transition from tire to rim would be the next horizon.

The Flo cycling response and results were quite interesting. Interesting to see how well Bontrager stacked up vs competition.
    Last edited by Srode; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:11 AM.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Great video, thanks for posting. Lots of nuances in the real work compound choices wheel/tire/frame combinations including interaction between the components from an aero standpoint plus rolling resistance, manageability in cross winds, comfort, reliability and weight.

I'm surprised more tire design work hasn't been done to help keep the airflow attached. Seems adding texture at the right point and smoothing the transition from tire to rim would be the next horizon.

The Flo cycling response and results were quite interesting. Interesting to see how well Bontrager stacked up vs competition.
    I think one of the main issue with tire design is that it has to be designed for a specific rim in order to get an optimal airflow laminar right at the tire-rim interface. So, the tire-rim design has to be an integrated one. You can't mix and match tires and rims and expect to get an optimal airflow. That is why Mavic's design their aero wheel and tire together as a system.

now if you have disc-brake rim, then I speculating that you could use tape to tape over the tire-rim interface section, and this this all around the wheel. With a rim-brake wheel, you can't use this as the tape will be applied on the brake track. But with disc-brake rim, you'll have drag from the disc rotor, which then might negate any gain in taping.

he rates Swiss, Bontrager, FFWD wheels as good wheels. I'm also surprise to see him rate the Chinese Yoeleo wheels as aerodynamically good too.
    Last edited by aclinjury; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:03 AM.