Handbuilt 32 spoke Wheelset vs Mavic Aksium etc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2016

Handbuilt 32 spoke Wheelset vs Mavic Aksium etc

Hi all,

I am cheap and am looking for the best value in a wheelset (within my budget, no HED Belgiums on 350 hubs for me). I am also a bike mechanic and have built a couple wheels, so I am comfortable with building wheels myself. I have a budget of about $200.

There is a set of 2017 Mavic Aksium WTS wheels with Aksion 700x23 tires on ebay for ~$200 shipped. They are 1823g.

I am also looking at building my own wheelset from Shimano 105 R7000 hubs, DT Comp DB spokes, and DT R460 32h rims. It should be about 1850g. This would cost me about $200.

Is there any reason the Mavics would be a better wheelset? I am 170lbs and like racing crits and like taking my road bike on dirt occasionally.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Build your own wheels...even if you've only built a couple they're still better than Mavic.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just make sure you open up those hubs, regrease, and adjust carefully.

The 105 hubs are amazing value and come with awesome quick releases but they neither come well adjusted nor well greased.

changingleaf
    Your handbuilt wheelset should be more durable, but the bearings in the 105 hub are not the best. I would check the bearing preload too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I'm quite cheap too and I ride a ton of miles some of which is conditions harsh on wheels.

One thing I learned over the years is that being cheap can get expensive.

I don't know how much you ride and I'm not trying to imply you'll have issues with 105 hubs because I don't know them well but if you ride a lot it might be worth stepping it up to Ultegra.

You'll definitely have those essentially forever and with your ability to build your own it'll only be like $50 when/if you burn though a brake track so spending a little more upfront on hubs may be the cheap way to go in the long run.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    One thing I learned over the years is that being cheap can get expensive.
    In the immortal words of Al Kreitler: "The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a good price is gone."

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda Guy View Post
    I am also looking at building my own wheelset from Shimano 105 R7000 hubs, DT Comp DB spokes, and DT R460 32h rims. It should be about 1850g. This would cost me about $200.
    This would be a far, far better wheelset than the Mavics, hands down! As Jay said, if you can spend a bit more, get the Ultegra hubs. Ultegra hubs have what is called digital adjust. What that means is that you can adjust the preload with your fingers (digits) and don't need cone wrenches.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda Guy View Post
    Is there any reason the Mavics would be a better wheelset?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    Your handbuilt wheelset should be more durable, but the bearings in the 105 hub are not the best. I would check the bearing preload too.
    105 hub bearings will still be far better than the Mavic Aksium bearings. And DT460 rims are far better than anything Mavic.
    Last edited by Lombard; 02-01-2019 at 04:48 PM.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

[REDACTED]
    If you have any skill in wheelbuilding, you're better off building yourself than going with Velomine. Velomine doesn't even stress relieve their wheels.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    If you have any skill in wheelbuilding, you're better off building yourself than going with Velomine. Velomine doesn't even stress relieve their wheels.
    There's nothing to prevent one from doing that when they get the wheels. Maybe the OP can, but I can't even get the parts for close to what Velomine sells a completed wheel for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro