Happy now, Mavic?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2019

Happy now, Mavic?

I bought a Mavic Aksium Elite UST Disc Wheelset including Yksion Pro UST 28mm tires, sealant, tubeless valves, tubeless rim tape and QR adapters to convert from 142 x 12 to 135 x 9 (and 15 x 100 to 9 x 100). I have a frame with quick-release dropouts so I was to take the thru-axle end caps off the wheels and put the quick release adapters on. I checked the instructions provided by Mavic to take the end caps off. In the picture attached, the instructions clearly state that an end cap should come off from both sides of the hub. I tried taking either of them off first manually by hands with the help of a rag and grippy gloves, but no success, both were too tight. I grabbed some pliers wrapped in a rag, same result. I even sprayed some WD-40 between the surfaces but it didn't help. Next thing was to put the end cap between the jaws of a vice (wrapped in a rag, also I put some protecting tape on the end cap) and then pull on the wheel. The end cap on the drive-side popped off quite easily. Next up, I tried to detach the end cap on the non-drive side. It was extremely tight and the wheel just slipped off the vice. Eventually I decided to give up. I then wondered if it really was possible that it would be that tight so I measured the over-locknut dimension after I mounted the drive-side end cap on the hub. It looked like the dimension was approximately 135mm so I thought maybe the end cap on the non-drive side should just be placed inside the hub and there wouldn't be any end cap that should come off on the non-drive side. I realized this had to be the case. However, the vice had bitten the end part of the hub in such a way that it was not perfectly round anymore, so the quick-release end cap could not be fitted.

I am very, very disappointed by the instructions provided by Mavic. In the picture it is clearly shown that an end cap should come off on both sides of the hub. In reality, only the end cap on the drive-side comes off. Now I have a new wheel with a hub that cannot be fitted on the frame because the adaptor doesn't fit. Are you happy now, Mavic? I can't quite understand how such a big company fail to provide with proper instructions how to take the end caps off. I will email Mavic about the issue, and see how their customer service deals with the case. As the damage was caused due to improper instructions provided by Mavic, I think they should at least offer a replacement wheel.

PS. I also checked the "wheel user guide" that came with the wheelset but it doesn't mention any instructions about axle conversions, so the pictures I've attached are the only instructions that are provided.

Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    If you look at the pictures provided by mavic, you were not to take the cassette spindle off, you took it off exposing the hub paws/ratchet system.
    You were a little brutal with the vice, IMO.
    Hope you have good luck with Mavic, not a big fan.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2019
    Hi,

At no point did I remove the freehub body so the pawls were not visible. The end cap on the drive-side just pops off easily, I attached a picture of it. No need to take off the freehub.

Wondering if there are others that had the same problem, but couldn't find anything similar on Google.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I may be mistaken, but the picture you posted shows the ratchet gears on the hub, you would have had to taken off the cassette spindle. It's been a while since I had mine apart. Are those 'teeth' on the disk side? My mavic wheels were rim brakes.
    Your second pictures show the spindle on.
    BANNED

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alestico View Post
    Next thing was to put the end cap between the jaws of a vice (wrapped in a rag, also I put some protecting tape on the end cap) and then pull on the wheel. The end cap on the drive-side popped off quite easily. Next up, I tried to detach the end cap on the non-drive side. It was extremely tight and the wheel just slipped off the vice.

OMG you put it in a vice! Sorry dude. You can't blame Mavic for that one. I'm no Mavic fan, but you can't blame them for you not knowing what you're doing.

And... that is NOT an end cap you put in the vice (and crushed). That's the axle! It's obvious from the picture. And daaammn did you gouge the vice teeth into that thing.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2019
    Well, if the picture on the QR adapter package shows that an end cap comes off from the non-drive side, then I assume that's what I'm going to do, right? Considering it's a new wheelset that I'm not familiar with, how am I supposed to "know" that "okay, the picture shows there's an end cap on the non-drive side but actually Mavic provides unreliable pictures so I shouldn't trust them, therefore I should try figuring things out on my own"?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I may be mistaken, but the picture you posted shows the ratchet gears on the hub, you would have had to taken off the cassette spindle. It's been a while since I had mine apart. Are those 'teeth' on the disk side?
    Yes those are centerlock disc splines.

Well, if the picture on the QR adapter package shows that an end cap comes off from the non-drive side, then I assume that's what I'm going to do, right?
    Yes. But it's abundantly clear you did not clamp the vice onto a QR cap. That's the axle you clamped onto. And of course... you shouldn't be using a vice

Considering it's a new wheelset that I'm not familiar with, how am I supposed to "know" that "okay, the picture shows there's an end cap on the non-drive side but actually Mavic provides unreliable pictures so I shouldn't trust them, therefore I should try figuring things out on my own"?
    If you don't know what you're doing, take it to someone who does.

But, those pictures are 100% clear. The QR endcaps come off. You were trying to pull out the axle, which doesn't look anything like a QR.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2019
    The hub was fitted with thru-axle end caps, not QR end caps. Obviously if it was fitted with QR end caps then there would've been nothing to remove as I particularly wanted to convert it to QR axle standard. The thing is that, at least from my point of view, it's not necessarily easy to distinguish between a 12mm thru-axle end cap and the axle itself. It looked like there was a small groove on the outer surface of the non-drive end cap, or now axle, indicating that it was a separate part and thus could be detached from the axle itself.

Props to Mavic for a quick response to my enquiry. They also referred to the wheel user guide that
    "If you are in any doubt how to use, assemble, maintain, repair or replace original parts then please consult your approved Mavic dealer"

Unfortunately there is not a single Mavic dealer in the country where I live (Finland) so I would not have been able to take the wheel somewhere to get a consultation.

They now forwarded the case to their service team who will give their take on it.

All I wanted was to go ride my bike with the new wheelset after having mounted the tires, why do they have to make things so difficult by handing out such vague instructions. Heck, why can't they just have a simple video on YouTube on how to perform the procedure? Before I even grabbed any tools to try remove the end caps, I searched for videos online how to do it but all I was able to find were some old Mavic videos about their 2012 MTB hub conversion from 12x142mm thru axle to 12x135mm thru axle. DT Swiss, Hope, and heck, even Novatec has proper videos about their end cap removal&installation, is it really that challenging for Mavic to make some similar videos? It's 2019...

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Well, if the picture on the QR adapter package shows that an end cap comes off from the non-drive side, then I assume that's what I'm going to do, right? Considering it's a new wheelset that I'm not familiar with, how am I supposed to "know" that "okay, the picture shows there's an end cap on the non-drive side but actually Mavic provides unreliable pictures so I shouldn't trust them, therefore I should try figuring things out on my own"?
    If you don't know you take it to someone that does. You DO NOT clamp the axle in a vice...you know what happens when you do that. I'm constantly amazed by how clueless people are with all things mechanical, but I'd much rather have someone come in to the shop w/ something like this, admitting they don't know what they're doing instead of bringing it in ruined like yours. That's always a lot more work.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Take it to a local shop. You are clearly in over your head. The second you thought of grabbing a vise should have been your "WTF am I doing?" moment of reflection.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Props to Mavic for a quick response to my enquiry. They also referred to the wheel user guide that
    "If you are in any doubt how to use, assemble, maintain, repair or replace original parts then please consult your approved Mavic dealer"

Unfortunately there is not a single Mavic dealer in the country where I live (Finland) so I would not have been able to take the wheel somewhere to get a consultation.
    You didn't need an 'approved' Mavic dealer. A mechanic in any bike shop would've known instantly.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    You didn't need an 'approved' Mavic dealer. A mechanic in any bike shop would've known instantly.

...and if they didn't know....they would have gone to Mavic's technical documents website which has an exploded view of how the hub is assembled and all the part numbers.

https://tech.mavic.com/tech-mavic/te...&macronu=30296

RoadBikeReview Member
    bummer.

another case of when DIY (do it yourself) becomes DIY (destroy it yourself)...

if Mavic provides you with any assistance for mangling your own wheel, you should give them big props.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    ... you were not to take the cassette spindle off, ...
    Would leaving the cassette spindle on had made alestico's job easier?

Russian Troll Farmer
    Wow...it's bad enough to be a 'sledgehammer mechanic', but to post pics of your ham-handed work is something else! Must be a glutton for punishment....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
    Too old to ride plastic

[REDACTED]
    Amazing how some people want to avoid a trip to the bike shop.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Huge in Japan
    Correct me if I am wrong but I'm fairly certain that the proper sequence of events in the craft of halfassery is:

-Pry at it with a flathead

-Reef on it with channel locks

-Blow torch

finally

-Vice

You went straight to vice. You never go straight to vice.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by craiger_ny View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but I'm fairly certain that the proper sequence of events in the craft of halfassery is:

-Blow torch

finally

-Vice

Or use Robogrips with the jaw covers on for less destructiveness.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member

-Blow torch

finally

-Vice

You forgot:

-Get a bigger hammer

Neophyte
    For all the snark on the thread, truthfully OP you kinda got what you get when you use the wrong tool. Hope you get it resolved without too much cost or loss of time.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
    Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Amazing how some people want to avoid a trip to the bike shop.
    This is so true.

-Blow torch

finally

-Vice

I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2019
    Haha had some hilarious time reading the replies a week after my entry, thanks all lol it is good to be able to laugh at yourself in a situation like this .

I do agree that mounting the axle on a vice was a radical move. However I think there's still no denying the fact that the illustrated instructions were misleading, especially when there is a clearly apparent groove on the outer surface of the axle (non-drive side), so I thought that was the line between two parts (end cap and axle). It turned out not to be the case. When it comes to maintenance I always try to follow instructions but this time I should've used common sense to avoid the hassle.

Mavic came to the rescue and offered me a replacement axle after their service team had gone through the case. It was very impressive customer service, hands down the best company in the field of cycling that I've dealt with. I've seen the exploded view of the hub now and disassembled it (no vice used, just a small flat-headed screwdriver!), waiting for the replacement axle to be fitted.

Hopefully this thread will be helpful for other "sledgehammer mechanics" out there (anyone? ;) ) if something is in doubt.