RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005

HED Belgium Plus Disc rims - brake track visible?

I just took delivery on some HED Belgium Plus Disc-only rims (700C size) for a new wheel build. Upon removing them from the box, I noted that you can clearly see the flat area where the brake track would normally be, except painted over. In fact, it's so noticeable that when I first unboxed them I thought the vendor had sent the wrong rims, but it was just the way the light was reflecting off the brake track that made it look silvery and machined.

Anyway, I'm not too bothered about the cosmetic aspect, it's just that I already have a set of these rims in 650b, and I can't detect any flat area for a brake track, just a smooth curve all the way to the bead seat. The puzzling thing is that they do also make a 650b version with a brake track, so it appears they went to the trouble of making a separate extrusion for the 650b Disc models, but not 700c apparently.

So does anyone know if it's normal that the 700c Disc version still has the flat area where the brake track would be? I just want to make sure I didn't get some weird counterfeit or patched-up factory seconds or something like that (I think they have serial numbers so I can hopefully also check with HED directly).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    I had a set of Belgium Blacks like that. I'm pretty sure the disc rim is the same as the rim brake rim but without the machining, or at least was. Maybe newer versions are different. When I asked Hed about it, they basically said that the rim and disc versions were the same and could be used interchangeably (though not "officially"), but mine were from 2012. You can always ask them to be sure. They were very responsive.

For what it's worth, I also had a set of Easton EA90 XD disc wheels that had a similar unfinished but obvious brake track. I think it used to be fairly common.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    The HED Belgium+ disc rim in 700c is the same rim as the rim brake rim. The brake track area is left anodized, and no machining is done to it. The rims destined to become rim brake rims get the brake track area machined. This machining takes off single digit grams worth of weight. For all intents and purposes, the rim and disc versions weigh the same.

The 650b version is entirely disc specific. They do not make a rim brake 650b rim, so the design has no accommodation for a brake track area.

Easton R90SL rims are done the same way as the HED 700c versions, but the brake track area on the Easton rims is more prominent than on the HED rims.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a pair of HED Belgium + disc rims and I can confirm the same others have. They have a flat area where the brake track would be if they were rim brake rims. I bought them from my LBS, so I really doubt they are counterfeit.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll stop worrying about it and look forward to building these up once my hubs get here.