Hey Vittoria,
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Vittoria,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007

Hey Vittoria,

Why don't you make a damn tire that fits on a rim. It can't be that hard nor do your prices justify you saving a little rubber. I for one will NEVER purchase one of your tires.

Ya dirty son's of *****es.

Hucken The Fard Up !
    You will be losing the pleasure of riding the best tires on the market then....
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    I use pretty much only Vittoria tires and I've become accustomed to them. I'm pretty efficient at installing them now, it takes me a very reasonable time to overcome their tightness.

I guess I'll be an ace at changing flats when I switch over to another rubber company

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Vittoria makes very good tires. I also have a high regard for the Torelli , Schwalbe and there are a few others. You may want to check and see if your rims are on the list of "Rims that are hard to get tires on". :-)

PS: Don't try Michelin or Conti's either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Learn how to put a tire on a rim or pay someone to do it for you. Its not that hard.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Just last week glued tubulars for the first time (had always used Tufo tape previously). Had no problem gluing the Vittoria Evo Crono CS II's onto the Zipp 303 wheels.

eRacer
    I have use Vittoria Rubino Pro Slicks for years and I love them.
    Easy to mount, smooth roll and corner, and durable.
    For me they are terrific tires and can be obtained at good prices.
    John Lapoint / San Diego
    God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Kbiker 3111 "Learn how to put a tire on a rim"

You quit making asinine assumptions and I will pay someone to mount a tire on the bike I built from the ground up.

You have just been added to the list of things I no longer want anything to do with.
    Last edited by Clyde250; 02-11-2010 at 04:08 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I use all sorts of Vittoria--- not issues here. What are you using for rims?

RoadBikeReview Member
    What rim?

Cat 6 rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde250
    Why don't you make a damn tire that fits on a rim. It can't be that hard nor do your prices justify you saving a little rubber. I for one will NEVER purchase one of your tires.

Ya dirty son's of *****es.
    I was able to get Vittoria tires on Shimano rims by hand fairly easily. They were a really tight fit on Neuvation rims, but I could muscle them on. I'm pretty well settled on Conti GP4000s on Neuvations now, and those are lever mount only (though I've had some folks here _swear_ they could muscle any tire on any rim- more power to 'em). I just mounted a pair tonight with only one cut on my knuckles, not bad.

Clyde- if you have to lever mount a tire there is a trick. Reach up underneath the tire and guide the lever onto the rim with your finger. By doing this you can be 99% certain that you haven't pinched the tube. Since all the written advice says that you're never supposed to lever mount, they don't include that tip, but 200 lbs. 44" chest weaklings like me with no upper body strength sometimes need tools

(It's not that I don't like Vittorias, probably the best performing tires I've ridden, but a bit too delicate for the conditions we have around here- though I did like the whistling sound they'd occasionally make when punctured, almost like a cartoon; it's hard to be angry stopping to fix a tire when you're laughing.)
    To the troll mobile, away...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    as others have said, its not the tire, it's the rim... or rather the rim/tire combo to be more clear...

campy rim + michi has been the worst for me... thought i was gunna snap the thing...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    what rims?
    LANCE ARMSTRONG 2009 NEVADA CITY CHAMPION

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Mavic A319 700c
    Vittoria Randonneur 700x28

Its not even close to going on. My wife asked if it was the right size tire. I started tearing into the bead. Its not a matter of strength. I am well into the clydesdale class. Bodering on the manatee class.

Other Vittorias I have installed have been tight but managable. Open Corso on Racelites, Rubino on Mavic Cosmos, they all seem tighter than necessary.

Cat 6 rider
    Mavic A319 700c

Its not even close to going on. My wife asked if it was the right size tire. I started tearing into the bead. Its not a matter of strength. I am well into the clydesdale class. Bodering on the manatee class.

Other Vittorias I have installed have been tight but managable. Open Corso on Racelites, Rubino on Mavic Cosmos, they all seem tighter than necessary.
    Well, you might have to lever them on. Use the tip I gave above and you can be pretty sure you won't pinch the tubes. I promise you're not the first person to curse tire makers, though it may be more aptly aimed at rim makers, or experts who say you never need levers.

There may be something to your original post. I've often wondered if some tire makers don't make their tires a bit small on purpose in the hope it will save them from liability should a tire roll off a rim, and also wonder if some rim makers don't make their rims just a little big for the same purpose, then Heaven help you when you try to put the undersized tire on the oversized rim.
    To the troll mobile, away...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mavic A319 700c

Clyde, I have the exact same tire on my Sun DS2 700c rims. I am selling the rims and would like to save the tire but I have spent over an hour on trying to get them off and had only managed to get about 1 1/2 inches of the lip over the rim. My hands hurt so I have decided to bring them to my LBS and have them remove the tires. I am wondering now if I should even keep these tires or sell them? I have had other tires before (Michelin and Vrederstein Tricomp) that easier to deal with. Good luck.
    ------------------------------
    TheDarkAce

Hucken The Fard Up !
    I have Mavic A319s on my tourer

Schwalbe Marathons for summertime
    Schwalbe Snow Spike for wintertime

It is imposible to set the wire tires without levers and quite a bit of work

So it's not the Vittorias for themselves, is the wire and the wider rim.

I have Vittoria Open Corsa CX and Open Pavé on Open Pros on my road bike and those I could set them in with bare hands.

BTW I will make the switch to Vittoria Randonneurs when the Marathons wear out.... but alas, that will take quite a while....
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    My Vittoria Corsa CX, Michelin Race, Michelin Ironman, Conti 4-Season and Supersonic, Challenge Grifo - all go onto OpenPro rims (and the Vittorias onto BWW Blackset Race) and off again effortlessly with no tire levers.

Cat 3 in TT, Cat 6 in Rd.
    Dec 2007
    I've gotten vittorias onto Campy rims, using a tube one size too big for them before. It takes some work, and a lever, but their rubber is worth it.
    2012 Idaho State TT Champion: Cat. 4

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Methinks the OP has the musculature of a veal calf...
    Never any issues with OC CX here...

Moderatus Puisne

He's not making it up

They roll great, but, Vittorias are awfully hard to fit -- especially to any rim that has high sidewalls, like Campy ones.

I roll Randonneurs, Zaffiros, Rubinos and Rubino Pros, and (open) Corsas, and all of them are quite tight fits -- most especially the wire-beaded ones.

I carry steel-core tire levers these days...

RoadBikeReview Member
    It can be quite the PITA with some combo's. Eventually with a certain amount of finesse and cursing, they do go on. I know the feeling...which is why I also find tires that don't make life so trying.

Loves to Suffer
    Somehow I manage to lever tires on all the time and don't have any problems with pinched tubes. Maybe the first tire I ever mounted, but that's about it. So maybe just practice with levers, and be careful.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    I just put a set of Open EVO's on some Shamal 2way fits. It took some work, but I did it without levers. Try harder.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Guys, I tore into the bead of the tire. Strength is not the issue.. I used levers, made sure the tube was not pinched anywhere, the tire was seated directly on the rim. I am 6'3" and 265, I work out 5 days a week. The tire simply will not go onto the rim. The only thing I can think of is if the temperature (40 Degrees) made an otherwise difficult tire mount damn near impossible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast