how deep is too deep?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

how deep is too deep?

when does the benefits of an aero carbon wheel become more of a hindrance in either ride comfort or wind?

I live in a not so windy climate and was wondering how deep is to deep with carbon wheels?

they would be used for fast group rides and races I'm 6'4 and currently 210lb trying to get down to 185-190lb would I be blown around on 60+mm wheels? or is this highly over exaggerated?

was looking at a boyd package of an 85 rear and 50/58 front. or 85's all the way around

edit: forgot to say I live in Florida...climbing is non existent and the avg wind at best is around 10mph or so.

oh and anyone feel free to add pictures of their bike w/ 60+mm deep rims.

Chad
    Last edited by Nimitz; 07-26-2010 at 08:25 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In a similar vein, is a 38mm wheel noticeable? 44mm? How shallow can you go before the benefit is negligible?

Lurker
    Mar 2009
    All depends on your handling skills. If you know how the bike is going to react to a crosswind, you will be fine. I've ridden 808's with 25mph cross gusts and lived to tell about it. Prepare for internet experts to tell you that you will die because of a crosswind.

Edit: Just saw your weight, you will be fine with deep wheels. I weigh 150lbs.

Lurker
    Mar 2009
    Old bike:

RoadBikeReview Member
    both bikes look awesome! so you like the staggered setup better than say the dual 80's?

rarely will I ever see such windy conditions here thanks for the help

anyone else?

Chad

Lurker
    Mar 2009
    Thanks -- I prefer the staggered setup because I don't like the way the extra weight of the 88mm front wheel affects the handling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimitz
    both bikes look awesome! so you like the staggered setup better than say the dual 80's?

rarely will I ever see such windy conditions here thanks for the help

anyone else?

Chad
    Move a little further east ... winds over here top out at 25mph and are more like 15mph on average December through April (even over the last week).

That being said - I'm getting 66mm deep wheels.

How about this recent heat?

RoadBikeReview Member
    At your weight and the given wind conditions, you should be fine. I'm 120 and have taken my Edge 66mm front with a disc in back through a ~25mph cross wind with 30+mph gusts on my TT bike. I'm not saying I wasn't scared, but I managed to maintain control.

If you're goal is weight loss and fitness, having to work harder to stay with the pack is never a bad thing. My race wheels don't come out until race day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwhite_4
    Move a little further east ... winds over here top out at 25mph and are more like 15mph on average December through April (even over the last week).

That being said - I'm getting 66mm deep wheels.

How about this recent heat?
    Where do you live?

I'm use to the heat its never been a problem for me but yeah it's been unseasonably hot so far June was the hottest june on record in Broward county ever. I live about 10 miles from the Beach...not too much further east to go!

Chad

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you
    At your weight and the given wind conditions, you should be fine. I'm 120 and have taken my Edge 66mm front with a disc in back through a ~25mph cross wind with 30+mph gusts on my TT bike. I'm not saying I wasn't scared, but I managed to maintain control.

If you're goal is weight loss and fitness, having to work harder to stay with the pack is never a bad thing. My race wheels don't come out until race day.
    these will be used for race day, but I'll definitely ride them to learn how they feel

thanks

Chad

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimitz
    these will be used for race day, but I'll definitely ride them to learn how they feel

thanks

Chad
    Ah, perfect!!! Definitely test them out on a bad day.

LOL, there have been a lot of threads lately about wheels to go faster in non-racing scenarios.

Dr. Flats a lot
    I'm feeling the need to make a joke, but nothing is coming to mind......

Online Wheel Builder
    I think that all of the replys so far have overlooked one thing about the OP. "this will be primarily for fast group rides/races." This would make me skeptical about running a 60-80mm depth up front. Sounds like a good way to take out the peleton. Maybe you should consider the 60-80mm depth in the rear, and go with the 40-50mm depth range up front. This would give you good aerodynamic capabilites while not compromising handling.

Lurker
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery
    I think that all of the replys so far have overlooked one thing about the OP. "this will be primarily for fast group rides/races." This would make me skeptical about running a 60-80mm depth up front. Sounds like a good way to take out the peleton. Maybe you should consider the 60-80mm depth in the rear, and go with the 40-50mm depth range up front. This would give you good aerodynamic capabilites while not compromising handling.
    Lots of people race 60+mm up front and don't take out the peloton.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjdwyer23
    Lots of people race 60+mm up front and don't take out the peloton.
    I've seen plenty of racers take out chunks of the peloton without the assistance of deep rims. Just sayin'.

waterproof*
    You will die because of crosswinds!

/ taken on a fast group ride in windy Texas this past weekend... seems to work ok for this guy... local cat 1 hotshot.

* not actually a Rock Star

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not too convincing when there are bandages present.

RoadBikeReview Member
    his spokes are an odd shape too...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    I've ridden my sram S60 60mm depth wheels in 50 mph gusts and 40mph constant winds here in ND and SD and it was quite scary and I weigh 175-180 lbs. I currently have a set of easton ec90 sl carbon clinchers that are 38 mm deep and want less rotating weight and less wind affecting my bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    jesus 50mph I wouldn't even step outside to ride...lol

Chad

RoadBikeReview Member
    Seeing mjd's bikes keep making me think I should have gone deeper.

I ordered the 50mm front and rear.

Loves to Suffer
    Sh1t, just run a disc F&R and be done with it.......

Online Wheel Builder
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipp0
    Sh1t, just run a disc F&R and be done with it.......
    ^this!

MCF
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mjdwyer23
    All depends on your handling skills. If you know how the bike is going to react to a crosswind, you will be fine. I've ridden 808's with 25mph cross gusts and lived to tell about it. Prepare for internet experts to tell you that you will die because of a crosswind.

Edit: Just saw your weight, you will be fine with deep wheels. I weigh 150lbs.

Why did you sell these wheels?

Lurker
    Mar 2009
    Wife wants a bike to take to the beach the week after next. They are listed but not yet sold. I did a 45 miler yesterday afternoon on them, I'll probably order another set in a month or 2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast