How deep is too deep for RR?

Jan 2010

How deep is too deep for RR?

I'm thinking about getting the new 2010 Easton EC90 TT tubular wheelset. They are about 1400g and 90mm deep. Would it be practical to use these wheels in RR's as well as in TT's? And how much of a factor is the weight of the rider?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    I am 80kg and I run 66mm depth in the front and the back and I've never had any issues. If you're heavy enough(maybe 90kg?), with good bike handling skills then I doubt you would see any issues either.

One thing to think about is using a smaller rim depth on the front wheel. Your back wheel is less susceptible due to the increased amount of weight on it as well as your body creating turbulence in the air before it reaches the back wheel. This is why you will see many people running 808 back 404 front or 1080 back 808 front.

All in all, I think the deeper dish you can go, the better. Therefore I think it would be reasonable for RR as well as TT.

The Trollinator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dominicisi
    One thing to think about is using a smaller rim depth on the front wheel. Your back wheel is less susceptible due to the increased amount of weight on it as well as your body creating turbulence in the air before it reaches the back wheel. This is why you will see many people running 808 back 404 front or 1080 back 808 front..
    Strange, I was under the assumption that it was because you steer with the front, and having gusts mess with that is less-than-ideal ;-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    He's 75kg
    (same post at Weight Weenies...)

Online Wheel Builder
    If you race in a windy area that may be a little much to handle. I weigh about 86 kilos and when the wind gets gusty deep wheels become more of a hassle than an advantage in a rr.

RoadBikeReview Member
    90mm is a little too deep for windy days. i race at just under 80kg on 50mm rims and on those very windy days it's hard to control the bike. If you only have mild wind then 90mm will work fine for everything.

wheelbuilder
    Control should never be sacrificed. You should run the highest profile you can control. If you are all over the place trying to keep the wheels straight you will actually be slower.

That said, I run DV46 all the time. Cancellara and others race with 808s frequently so you wouldn't be the first.

-Eric

RoadBikeReview Member
    I could be wrong but I think there's a limit in the rules for USAC road races about how deep your rims can be. Don't have time to look it up right now...

Other than the wind factor, yes, deeper rims tend to be faster.
    sometimes i sits and thinks, sometimes i just sits

RoadBikeReview Member
    Stick with 60mm or less. The extra aero advantage of the deeper 88 and 90mm wheels isn't worth the instability during high winds. Especially in a road race situation.