how to loosen a stuck spoke from the nipple?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

how to loosen a stuck spoke from the nipple?

folks,
    i have a flat spoke that is stuck. I tried to use a plier to hold the spoke while turning the nipple, but the spoke is stuck. I already tried putting a drop of chain lube in the nipple, no luck loosening it. Maybe WD-40 is better? Let's hear some ideas please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Are these 'Mavic' wheels??? ha!
    .... I would get some penetrating oil @ the autozone and let it sit for a night.
    BANNED

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Penetrating lubricant, not oil, is going to work better. It's thinner and is made to break up corrosion. Warm up the spoke/nipple with a hair dryer.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-...6-PB/205178591

Are you trying to salvage the spoke? A pliars is going to chew it up pretty good with how hard you're going to have to turn it. A good spoke holder will help.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    yes i'm trying to salvage the spoke if i could. Already chew up the spoke a bit (but not too bad) with the plier thing. I do have a spoke holder, but apparently the spoke is so stuck that it got twisted a bit at the transition region where its "flat" part meets the round part. Looks like it's off to Home depot for some penetrating lube.

btw, trying to true an mtb rear wheel that only has 24 spokes, and this stuck spoke is the obstacle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    A little solvent, and heat the nipple with a cigarette lighter until it is very warm to touch. That usually works for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    ok, the spoke is twisted about 90deg right at the junction between the flat part and the round part. So, is this still a usable spoke? Spoke is made of steel so I'm guessing it is still good? Should I untwist it? (assuming that I can loosen it from the nipple).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    If I was in the middle of Kansass, I would use it to ride back to civilization. If I was in my garage, that spoke is history.
    BANNED

Banned Sock Puppet
    Snip it and replace with a new spoke and nipple.

Is this the same wheel you said in another thread that you're looking to replace?
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Snip it and replace with a new spoke and nipple.

Is this the same wheel you said in another thread that you're looking to replace?
    yeah same wheel that I was considering of replacing, until I was quoted a price of $500 (ughh), and that's a cheap price for a carbon wheel.

Then I thought, why don't I try to save the current wheel and ride it until it's completely trash, then buy a new bike! I don't feel like it's a wise investment to be putting $500 into a rear wheel on 27.5er with 142mm rear spacing, when everything is moving toward 29er and 148mm spacing.

The current wheel is not bad, it's light and fast, and it's actually great for XC climbing. My only complaint is that it goes out of true more then I'd like. The trails around here definitely demand a 28h rear wheel minimum to be solid. Current one is only 24h. And after awhile, you want reliability over lightweight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    yeah same wheel that I was considering of replacing, until I was quoted a price of $500 (ughh), and that's a cheap price for a carbon wheel.

Then I thought, why don't I try to save the current wheel and ride it until it's completely trash, then buy a new bike! I don't feel like it's a wise investment to be putting $500 into a rear wheel on 27.5er with 142mm rear spacing, when everything is moving toward 29er and 148mm spacing.

The current wheel is not bad, it's light and fast, and it's actually great for XC climbing. My only complaint is that it goes out of true more then I'd like. The trails around here definitely demand a 28h rear wheel minimum to be solid. Current one is only 24h. And after awhile, you want reliability over lightweight.
    Spoken like a true retro-grouch.
    Too old to ride plastic

xxl

Your post tells me you already know the answer to your dilemma.
    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Donald Trump has never won a popular vote in a governmental election.

There are over 13 million covid cases in the United States (as of Thanksgiving), eleven months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

Banned Sock Puppet

SMH. 24 spokes is low for a rear wheel that will be dealing with the abuses of mountain biking. IMHO, it is asking for trouble. I build wheels with no less than 32 spokes on the rear wheel even for a road bike.

Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Spoken like a true retro-grouch.
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

I really don't think 27.5 wheels with non-boost hubs are going the way of downtube shifters anytime soon. But hey, if you are looking for an excuse to buy a new bike, who am I to stop you?

Here are a couple of choices for a rear 27.5 mountain bike wheel which are both $370. Not sure which type of brakes you have. These are both 6-bolt:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...NjQ2F0MTAwNDYz

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...NDYXQxMDA0NjM=
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    SMH. 24 spokes is low for a rear wheel that will be dealing with the abuses of mountain biking. IMHO, it is asking for trouble. I build wheels with no less than 32 spokes on the rear wheel even for a road bike.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

I really don't think 27.5 wheels with non-boost hubs are going the way of downtube shifters anytime soon. But hey, if you are looking for an excuse to buy a new bike, who am I to stop you?

Here are a couple of choices for a rear 27.5 mountain bike wheel which are both $370. Not sure which type of brakes you have. These are both 6-bolt:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...NjQ2F0MTAwNDYz

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...NDYXQxMDA0NjM=
    Stan's Flow is nice, like the 29mm internal width, a bit heavy but not a deal killer. Thanks for the links!

Banned Sock Puppet
    Stan's Flow is nice, like the 29mm internal width, a bit heavy but not a deal killer. Thanks for the links!
    Just noticed the Flow wheel is only available with SRAM XD freehub. The Arch is available with standard Shimano/SRAM freehub or SRAM XD.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    some good news.

1) After using that Blaster spray and letting it sit overnight, I'm finally able to turn the nipple loose.

2) but instead of trying to true the wheel further using zipties while it's in the frame, I've decided to bring it to a shop, and the tech there true it further all taking less than 5 minutes. Yep, he turned like 8 times total and my wheel is now trued to within .5mm.

(And the shop didn't even charge me).

I'm a berrry berry 'appy camper.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    .... to be continued.
    BANNED

Banned Sock Puppet
    some good news.

1) After using that Blaster spray and letting it sit overnight, I'm finally able to turn the nipple loose.

2) but instead of trying to true the wheel further using zipties while it's in the frame, I've decided to bring it to a shop, and the tech there true it further all taking less than 5 minutes. Yep, he turned like 8 times total and my wheel is now trued to within .5mm.

(And the shop didn't even charge me).

I'm a berrry berry 'appy camper.
    Good luck with that wheel. But if it's still a problem and you're looking for a budget new wheel, here's a good option. BWW builds have a pretty good reputation:

https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/MT...tom-Build.html

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    .... to be continued.
    haha we'll see how long it'll stay in true

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Good luck with that wheel. But if it's still a problem and you're looking for a budget new wheel, here's a good option. BWW builds have a pretty good reputation:

https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/MT...tom-Build.html
    thanks good to know!
    i'm hoping the current wheel will last me 2 more years (even if i have to true it annually).

Banned Sock Puppet
    thanks good to know!
    i'm hoping the current wheel will last me 2 more years (even if i have to true it annually).
    And they even have a few sales as Opus noted here:

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/wh...ml#post5472249

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    .... to be continued.
    Sometimes, if a single spoke comes loose, all you need to do is give it enough turns to bring its tension up to snuff and the wheel gets true and things hold up fine. It depends.