how to remove tire from a hookless rim?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

how to remove tire from a hookless rim?

i'm running a tubeless mtb wheelset (SRAM Rise 60) that has the hookless rim style, currently running a tubeless Maxxis Ikon 2.2 tire. Got a flat on the trail so I tried to remove the tire to put in a tube. OMG! No matter what I did, I just couldn't unseat the damn bead. Finally after about 20 minutes of trying to unseat the damn tire, I gave up and walked to the car. Got home and still couldn't unseat the beat. Got so frustrated that I used a utility razor to cut the damn tire up! (Tire was up for replace soon anyway).

So now i have a couple questions regarding hookless rim:

1. What are some tips to pop a tire off a hookless rim? Oh yeah, it's tight.

2. how do you seat a tire onto a hookless rim on the trail??? At home, I had to use a floor pump and push in 60 PSI to seat the tire. On the trail, there is NO EFFIN WAY that I could do this with a hand pump, and I would need to carry probably at least 10+ CO2 cartridges to make it the tire seat properly.

And btw, the reason why i got the flat to begin with was that I was running a tad low psi (~20 psi, 123-lb rider) and was descending fast down a fireroad and went through some rough rocks that caused my rim to "bottom out" and a hole on the tire was formed, and the rim (carbon fiber) got a small crack right at the edge (where the "brake track" would be) but I fixed the crack by using JB Weldit (I ain't gonna throw away an otherwise perfectly fine wheel!).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Maybe a spring clamp could pinch the tireand pop the bead. I don't know, but it's what I would try.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Ha...vZc266Z1z0r0cf
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I'm confused. Are you sure it's hookless? I only had one wheelset with hookless rim's and I returned it for lack of tire compatibilty.

Hookless rims have a flat inside edge of the side wall, i.e. no hook for the bead to catch on. I wouldn't think you would have trouble unseating this (getting the tire over the rimwall might be another story.

Are you sure you dont have a tubless conversion wheel? Where tape was added to a non-tubeless (hooked bead) rim to make it tubeless compatible? These I could certainly see having problems like this.

A friend bought a new bike not too long ago. It was a floor model, and sat on the shop floor untouched for a long time (more than a year - maybe two).

It came with WTB wheels that had converted non-tubeless (hooked) rim with two runs of Stans tape, and some kind of knobby WTB tire. We had a heck of a time trying to get the bead out of the rim. I finally put it flat on the ground and stepped on the tire right at the rim edge, and managed to get it to pop free. Strangely enough, only the front tire caused this trouble. The rear came off just fine with a little extra thumb pressure.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    I'm confused. Are you sure it's hookless? I only had one wheelset with hookless rim's and I returned it for lack of tire compatibilty.

Hookless rims have a flat inside edge of the side wall, i.e. no hook for the bead to catch on. I wouldn't think you would have trouble unseating this (getting the tire over the rimwall might be another story.

Are you sure you dont have a tubless conversion wheel? Where tape was added to a non-tubeless (hooked bead) rim to make it tubeless compatible? These I could certainly see having problems like this.

A friend bought a new bike not too long ago. It was a floor model, and sat on the shop floor untouched for a long time (more than a year - maybe two).

It came with WTB wheels that had converted non-tubeless (hooked) rim with two runs of Stans tape, and some kind of knobby WTB tire. We had a heck of a time trying to get the bead out of the rim. I finally put it flat on the ground and stepped on the tire right at the rim edge, and managed to get it to pop free. Strangely enough, only the front tire caused this trouble. The rear came off just fine with a little extra thumb pressure.
    Having a hook or not has absolutely nothing to do w/ the OP's problem. The diameter of the spot where the bead seats has everything to do w/ it. There is no standard for this diameter. Same goes for the tire. You can end up w/ some that are easy to work with and some that are insanely hard. I find it's easier to pull on the bead of the tire than to push. That said I've had a couple at the shop that I couldn't get unseated and had to get someone w/ stronger hands to get started.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post

Yes, i'm absolutely positive these wheels use hookless rims.
    And like Cxwrench has explained, the channel that the bead seats has no standard diameter, so a tire with a large bead can be squeezed very tight into this channel when it was mounted and seated. Furthermore, the tubeless sealant helps to make the bead even tighther embedded in this channel.

Update:
    I've installed a new tire of a different brand, Onza. The Onza tire is tubeless-ready (just like the Maxxis Ikon before it). I tried to setup tubeless but just couldn't get the damn tire to seal. Went to the local LBS to have it isntall and there was a line of 10 people waiting for service or be let in (apparently LBS is limiting customers coming in). So I decided to go home and put in a tube, pumped up the tire, and things just worked. I then deflate the tire to see how hard it would be to pop the bead this time, and to my delight I was able to pop the bead with my thumbs (it still took effort, but at least I was able to pop the bead out, good for on-trail repair). However, I still need to pump to 60 psi to seat the bead though (with a tube inside), and there's no way I could do this on the trail, but hopefully with some mileage on the tire, the bead will soften and stretch a bit so that it'll seat easier should I ever need to seat it ont he trail, but let's hope I don't get a flat again, i'm going back to 23-25 psi for the rear.
    Then took the bike out for a short ride on the train, and honestly, I cannot tell the different between tubeless and tubed setup!! I thought I'd be disappointed by the inner tube, but I felt zero real world difference. And now I'm seriously considering of going back to traditional tubed mtb setup now, and with traditional tires they're lighter than tubeless tire so that'll offset some of the weight of the inner tube. I think it's important to me that a tire setup has to be easily repairable on the trail, and right now tubeless isn't easily repairable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Maybe a spring clamp could pinch the tireand pop the bead. I don't know, but it's what I would try.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Ha...vZc266Z1z0r0cf
    I tried with a visegrip but no cigar as the tire just flex too much. Anyway, i'm switchin back to using inner tube now, which makes it easier to unseat