Hubs - Shimano RS770 vs. RS470
    Banned Sock Puppet

Hubs - Shimano RS770 vs. RS470

Could someone tell me what the difference is between these?

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ.../FH-RS770.html

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ.../FH-RS470.html

The RS770 has been around for a few years whereas the RS470 appears to be new. From what I can see, the RS470 is a budget version of the RS770. They are dirt cheap in comparison.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Adorable Furry Hombre
    $55USD for a rear hub...not even Bitex can hit that kind of pricepoint. Bitex; with underwhelming engagement and "anti-notch" FH bodies that still manage to notch.

Guessing that is the OEM "we need to somehow still sell a bike at $1,500 pricepoint" hubset.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

'brifter' is a lame word.
    The difference is 300.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

xxl
    FWIW, the linked "spec" sheet shows that the 770 comes in two colors, vs. just the one for the 470.

It also says the bearing cup of the 770 is "CBN," while the 470 is listed as "Polished."

I'm not actually sure what "CBN" means ("carbon steel?"), or "Polished," for that matter.

I do note that the freehub on the 470 has a groove perpendicular to the splines, that the 770 does not have. The 770's freehub appears to have a more satiny finish.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I’m f—d.”

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    The difference is 300.
    Hahaha!!! You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to cxwrench again.

Seriously though, the price difference is considerable enough to believe there is a difference in quality, not just weight or a model number.

Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    FWIW, the linked "spec" sheet shows that the 770 comes in two colors, vs. just the one for the 470.

If the 770 comes in two different colors, that's new. I have built with these and silver is the only color I could find.

It also says the bearing cup of the 770 is "CBN," while the 470 is listed as "Polished."

I'm not actually sure what "CBN" means ("carbon steel?"), or "Polished," for that matter.

Hmmm, aren't all loose ball bearings polished carbon steel?
    Last edited by Lombard; 5 Days Ago at 01:05 PM.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Kinda like:

I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Hahaha!!! You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to cxwrench again.

Seriously though, the price difference is considerable enough to believe there is a difference in quality, not just weight or a model number.

If the 770 comes in two different colors, that's new. I have built with these and silver is the only color I could find.

Hmmm, aren't all loose ball bearings polished carbon steel?

FWIW, the linked "spec" sheet shows that the 770 comes in two colors.

All loose bearings aren't polished carbon steel, though most bike bearings are (some are stainless, some ceramic, cf. https://www.astbearings.com/bearing-materials.html) but why did Shimano make the seeming distinction between "CBN" and "Polished" on their website? As I said, I don't know.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I’m f—d.”

Banned Sock Puppet
    FWIW, the linked "spec" sheet shows that the 770 comes in two colors.

All loose bearings aren't polished carbon steel, though most bike bearings are (some are stainless, some ceramic, cf. https://www.astbearings.com/bearing-materials.html) but why did Shimano make the seeming distinction between "CBN" and "Polished" on their website? As I said, I don't know.
    OK, point taken on bearing materials, but let's just eliminate ceramic and plastic as their practical application isn't on bicycle wheels. Stainless steel and chrome steel aren't as hard or as strong as carbon steel but the former two don't rust, the latter does.