I need/want advice on new rims
    Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005

I need/want advice on new rims

Before I get into this too deeply let me say that I'm a 76 yr old clyde. I've been riding since 1963, was a cat 2 roadie at one time, & still ride 3-4,000 miles per year. In 57 years of riding & racing I think it's fair to say that I've changed a tire or two.

In June of 2019 I bought a bike with Swiss DT wheels...E 1800 rims, 24 hole. They've been perfect! The bike came with Conti 28mm 4000's, which I have worn out. I got some 5000's & went to change them out. HAH! Using steel levers I couldn't even remove the old ones from the rim. Red faced, I took the wheels to a pro shop near me & asked them to change them. I stood & watched while 2 mechanics took around 45 min. to remove the 4000s & mount the 5000s. BTW, the 5000s are not the TLs.

That sealed the deal for me. I was getting rid of those rims regardless of how well they performed. I've made up my mind that I will absolutely NOT get any rims that are tubeless ready. End of discussion.

I've been looking at Hed c2 rims or Hed C2 wheels with thru axles. I've used Velocity Deep Vs, but they're heavy as hell. Anybody got any suggestions? And PUHLEEEZE, don't tell me how to change a tire, use a thinner rim strip, use different tires, etc. I'm 76 yearss old & my hands are getting a little arthritic, but most tires I can change without any tools at all.
    Thanks for your indulgence.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I like off-center rear rims. The Velocity A23 series has worked well for me. DT's RR411 series is similar. In non-O/C rims, I've built wheels with Mavic rims and never had a problem. Check out their "Open" series or A319 or Open Elite.

What the what???
    I too like the Deep Vs or the Chukkers for their strength, but yeah, they are heavy. I also am a fan of H Plus Son Archetype rims and currently have them on two bikes. You can get them in 32 and 36 hole, which I run. As a Clyde myself I tend to put more emphasis on strength (and prices) rather than weight.

You might want to check out prowheelbuilder.com. They have an app on their site where you can select different rims, hubs, spokes and nipple to build your own custom wheel combos. It's a good way of checking out different combinations to see what works best for you.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    I also am a fan of H Plus Son Archetype rims and currently have them on two bikes.
    Same here. Those are what came to mind and would be my first suggestion.

Your idea of Hed C2 is also very good.

I've used both those Heds and the Archetype for tons of miles (more with the Archetypes though) and would rate them even. So I'd say you don't get anything extra with the Heds to no point in spending the extra money over the archetypes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    I like off-center rear rims. The Velocity A23 series has worked well for me. DT's RR411 series is similar. In non-O/C rims,
    My current 32 spoke wheels based on Velocity A 23 rims (OC in the rear) and Campy Record hubs over 40,000 miles on them with zero issues. I can remove a Conti GP 4000 IIs easily without tools.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I've built wheels for my wife on both the A-23 and Archetype rims using 32 hole Ultegra Hubs, laced 3X. I put Conti Gatorskins on her bike because of where she rides and they are easy to put on without a tire iron and come off easily using a Pedros tire lever.

She'd still be riding the A-23 set if her mechanic, ME, hadn't used a steel cassette lockring and neglected maintenance so long that the ring rusted onto the last cog....broke a chainwhip trying to remove. Oh well, gave me a chance to build her the set with the Archetype rim. FWIW, I found the Archetype a little easier to build with than with the A-23.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Last wheelset I built was 32h Sun Assault rims laced to Chorus hubs. Now I understand Sun has stopped offering them. Too bad as I thought they were a good alternative to the Velocitys.

changingleaf
    The Hed Belgium and the H Plus Son Archetype are the two best aluminum rims that I can think of that don't have a tubeless bead. They are both u-shaped on the inside and tires should be much easier to mount and unmount on them. They are also more modern at 23mm wide so you don't have to settle for the 19mm rims that used to be standard.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    By the way OP; Ditch the Velox if you're still using that.

Tubeless rim tape, even when using tubes, such as this helps a bit with ease of getting on tires: https://www.notubes.com/shop/tubeless/valves-tape/tape

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the suggestions everybody. Due to moving to a new house I haven't had internet service for awhile or I would have responded. I haven't made a decision yet, but I wanted you to know that I appreciate all your advice.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    My current wheels that I built myself use Easton R90 SL.
    Really great rim in terms of weight, strength and depth.