Inexpensive 700c Gravel Wheels
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015

Inexpensive 700c Gravel Wheels

Looking for recommendations. Have 650b's now but would like to complelment them with a less rugged set of 700c's, maybe to run 40 mm or thereabout tires as opposed to 50's on the 650b's.

Thoughts?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Be less vague

'inexpensive' is subjective.
    Some people think $200 is inexpensive. Others think $1000 is. What do 'you' consider inexpensive. Give a price range.

Disc brake? Type of mounting?

Carbon? Alum?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I think he wants roound ones , don't forget that.
    BANNED

Neophyte
    Making the assumption that you're on disc wheels, I feel like you can get OEM take-offs or extra part wheelsets for a decent price in certain places like eBay or maybe randombikeparts.com... multiple brands use Formula for their OEM wheelsets. Scott/Syncros used to use DT Swiss but now also seem to use Formula for their lower/mid-end bikes.

Example: OVAL CONCEPTS 524 DISC 700C wheelset would be an OEM Fuji wheelset made by Formula that you might find in the $200-$250 range.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    What are you calling a "gravel wheel". Extra wide rim?

I and most people I ride gravel with use what they use on the road maybe with a few more spokes so I'm not really sure what a 'gravel wheel' is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Be less vague

'inexpensive' is subjective.
    Some people think $200 is inexpensive. Others think $1000 is. What do 'you' consider inexpensive. Give a price range.

Disc brake? Type of mounting?

Carbon? Alum?

Was thinking around $400. Disc brakes. Aluminum is fine.

Budget bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Making the assumption that you're on disc wheels, I feel like you can get OEM take-offs or extra part wheelsets for a decent price in certain places like eBay or maybe randombikeparts.com... multiple brands use Formula for their OEM wheelsets. Scott/Syncros used to use DT Swiss but now also seem to use Formula for their lower/mid-end bikes.

Example: OVAL CONCEPTS 524 DISC 700C wheelset would be an OEM Fuji wheelset made by Formula that you might find in the $200-$250 range.
    That would be nice. Really something wider and a little tougher than your typical road wheel. Want to run 40mm tires so it would be sort of mid-way between the 32s I have on one road bike and the 50s on the 650b wheels.

changingleaf
    Wheels can be built in that price range with Bitex hubs and some Aluminum rims.

Neophyte
    I understand the wider is better on gravel concept, have not gotten a chance to ride wider than what I have... but I'd also say my bike with 33's can handle any terrain that's been thrown at it so far. Seems like 38s are getting very popular?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    I understand the wider is better on gravel concept, have not gotten a chance to ride wider than what I have... but I'd also say my bike with 33's can handle any terrain that's been thrown at it so far. Seems like 38s are getting very popular?

I have done some fairly rough trails on my Roubaix with 32 Gravel Kings, but the comfort and difference of going to 650b's with 50mm tires is remarkable. Did one ride in PA last year that even then I would have liked more (or a front shock system like the Lauf fork).

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I think he wants roound ones , don't forget that.
    Round ones are boring. I like egg shaped ones.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by tommybike View Post
    That would be nice. Really something wider and a little tougher than your typical road wheel. Want to run 40mm tires so it would be sort of mid-way between the 32s I have on one road bike and the 50s on the 650b wheels.
    As far as tougher, think higher spoke count - 32 spokes per wheel.

40mm or thereabout is a good width for mixed on road/off road riding IMO. But why not just use these on your existing 650b wheels or get a second set of 650b wheels? That will also give you a little lower low gearing for steep hill climbs. Right now, I'm running a set of 650b wheels I built up last winter on my gravel bike with 650b x 42 Rene Herse Babyshoe Pass Ultralights and the ride is superb.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    As far as tougher, think higher spoke count - 32 spokes per wheel.

40mm or thereabout is a good width for mixed on road/off road riding IMO. But why not just use these on your existing 650b wheels or get a second set of 650b wheels? That will also give you a little lower low gearing for steep hill climbs. Right now, I'm running a set of 650b wheels I built up last winter on my gravel bike with 650b x 42 Rene Herse Babyshoe Pass Ultralights and the ride is superb.

Well part of the reason is that the 650s are busted and waiting a warranty from the manufacturer for 2 months. Thought 700s might be useful but actually not sure I could even go 40 with them, so it may be a tire switch. It's funny I was just discussiong the Rene Herse with someone on a ride today.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Well part of the reason is that the 650s are busted and waiting a warranty from the manufacturer for 2 months. Thought 700s might be useful but actually not sure I could even go 40 with them, so it may be a tire switch. It's funny I was just discussiong the Rene Herse with someone on a ride today.
    Ahhh, another reason to go with another set of 650b's!

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Ahhh, another reason to go with another set of 650b's!

But with a 700c set and a 650 b set I could switch out and try it as a gravel mullet bike. ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Check Velomine.com. They have a few inexpensive wheel options for gravel.

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...bjltd063dnqu41

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by burgrat View Post

Thanks

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by burgrat View Post

One issue with Velomine is that they apparently do not stress relieve their wheels. They even have a note one the box saying that the wheels may go out of true after the first ride or two and need to be re-trued.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    One issue with Velomine is that they apparently do not stress relieve their wheels. They even have a note one the box saying that the wheels may go out of true after the first ride or two and need to be re-trued.
    Not good. Although I think I am taking this as an opportunity to learn how to fix my own wheels and hopefully build up a set, the site has a couple of kits. Once I get the one road wheel properly tensioned and a few test rides in, I may buy a kit or pieces and build my own. Covid hobby.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Not good. Although I think I am taking this as an opportunity to learn how to fix my own wheels and hopefully build up a set, the site has a couple of kits. Once I get the one road wheel properly tensioned and a few test rides in, I may buy a kit or pieces and build my own. Covid hobby.
    I guess there is nothing wrong with buying Velomine wheels if you know how to build wheels properly, you can always stress relieve them yourself. I just am of the opinion that a builder who doesn't stress relieve their wheels is a poor wheel builder.

If you are really looking for a "Covid hobby" as you put it, why not just build a set from scratch? That will give you a much better warm fuzzy feeling than fixing someone else's sloppy work.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    I guess there is nothing wrong with buying Velomine wheels if you know how to build wheels properly, you can always stress relieve them yourself. I just am of the opinion that a builder who doesn't stress relieve their wheels is a poor wheel builder.

If you are really looking for a "Covid hobby" as you put it, why not just build a set from scratch? That will give you a much better warm fuzzy feeling than fixing someone else's sloppy work.

That is my objective. I saw a kit on Velomine which might be a nice first step. Working on truing and tensioning a wheel on my old road bike. Once happy with that I am planning on buying the pieces to assemble a set on my own. In the meantime reading Roger Muss's book.

Banned Sock Puppet
    That is my objective. I saw a kit on Velomine which might be a nice first step. Working on truing and tensioning a wheel on my old road bike. Once happy with that I am planning on buying the pieces to assemble a set on my own. In the meantime reading Roger Muss's book.
    Great first step! Roger's ebook is probably the best investment you will make.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I did not know that. Thanks for the info. That would certainly make me rethink buying a set there.