Installing studs !

Printable View

• 02-07-2019
    zipp2001
    Installing studs !
    Hey its my first time installing studs so there was a little learning curve, but once I used my vice it went really smooth. I bought some studded tires for my Fat bike this year and figured I would use the Fat bike all winter, The tires I bought came with the studs already in and have 220 per tire. They have really made riding outside this winter possible, because we have had tons off ice and very little snow this year. That being said I figured why not let the 29 plus bike enjoy some fun outside also. Besides it's a better bike and a little more forgiving on the rough trails. The tires I bought didn't have the studs mounted so that was my afternoon project, and a fun learning experience.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OpAWifMLDA
  • 02-21-2019
    Lombard
    Interesting. Whatever keeps you on the bike. :thumbsup:

Though for me, I switch to a pair of xc skis, snowshoes or Microspikes for the winter.
  • 02-22-2019
    bmach
    To much work for me. I would buy them already studded.
  • 02-22-2019
    Lombard
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bmach View Post

I believe he couldn't find those tires already studded.
  • 03-05-2019
    BobbyNee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bmach View Post

yep, that's what I was thinking! But it's an interesting experiment to try if you have the time.
  • 03-06-2019
    davesupra
    I found it easier to install the studs with the tire mounted on the rim. I pumped up the pressure to ~15 psi and went to work. I mixed a little dawn dish soap in a cup of water and dunked the stud in that before installing. It's still a lot of work, and hard on the hands.