RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

looking for quality aero 50mm carbon rim with 18 hole drilling

I'm looking for a quality carbon rim, 50mm deep, 18H drilling.
    I've read that Gigantex makes very good hoops, but they don't seems to have them in 18H drilling. So I need some help finding such a hoop. I see some Chinese ones on Aliexpress and ebay, but I rather want to get hoops from a brand name make if possible.

changingleaf
    Lightbicycle can do almost any drilling for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    Lightbicycle can do almost any drilling for you.
    this is very helpful. thanks!

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    this is very helpful. thanks!
    Note... Special order rims are not refundable, and coming from China you're responsible for duties etc

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Note... Special order rims are not refundable, and coming from China you're responsible for duties etc
    ugh, is this their policy? I have looked so I'm just asking. Hmm but if that's the case, I might as well wing it and order direct from a chinese ebay seller who has said that 18h rim will be special order and take 10-15 days but at least I'd avoid duties all together.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    ugh, is this their policy? I have looked so I'm just asking. Hmm but if that's the case, I might as well wing it and order direct from a chinese ebay seller who has said that 18h rim will be special order and take 10-15 days but at least I'd avoid duties all together.
    For example:

https://us.lightbicycle.com/shop/700...yclocross-rim/

"Want a different blank rims without graphics or a different weave or finish? We can special order it for you from our factory!

Orders typically take 3-5 weeks, however faster shipping from China is available. Special order rims are non-refundable."

You don't save much in weight or drag going from 24h (which they stock in the USA and therefore low shipping and no tariff risk), versus 18h (much high shipping, and tariffs possibly). I'm thinking of a second set of hoops for my non-pavement rig and was window shopping them. Their builds can come with i9 or Onyx hubs--the cost for the wheel builds with the quality of hubs they spec is a sweet price point.

Otherwise...BikeHubStore has some nice deals on Gigantex 20h rims for rim brakes so long as you don't mind narrower format rims:

Gigantex Carbon Rims

BHS is quite reputable and are great to do business with IME.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    For example:

https://us.lightbicycle.com/shop/700...yclocross-rim/

"Want a different blank rims without graphics or a different weave or finish? We can special order it for you from our factory!

Orders typically take 3-5 weeks, however faster shipping from China is available. Special order rims are non-refundable."

You don't save much in weight or drag going from 24h (which they stock in the USA and therefore low shipping and no tariff risk), versus 18h (much high shipping, and tariffs possibly). I'm thinking of a second set of hoops for my non-pavement rig and was window shopping them. Their builds can come with i9 or Onyx hubs--the cost for the wheel builds with the quality of hubs they spec is a sweet price point.

Otherwise...BikeHubStore has some nice deals on Gigantex 20h rims for rim brakes so long as you don't mind narrower format rims:

Gigantex Carbon Rims

BHS is quite reputable and are great to do business with IME.
    yeah, the main reason why I'm wanting to stick with 18h rim is because this is to be a replacement rim for a wheel I cracked which is 18h with a DT Swiss hub. So I wanted to see if I could reuse the hub and possibly the spokes too. I guess trying to save a few bux.

So like you i'm window shoping for a hoop. However, I just noticed that A-Force AL33 aluminum hoops too. Hmm gotta admit these are sweet alloy rims! Hmm now I'm thinking forget carbon all together and go with a quality alloy wheelset based on this AL33 rim. Decision decision.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I built a set of wheels earlier this year based on the AL33 and have been very pleased with them. Built up easily and clincher tires go on and off very with little effort compared to other tubeless ready rims I have used.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cdhbrad View Post
    I built a set of wheels earlier this year based on the AL33 and have been very pleased with them. Built up easily and clincher tires go on and off very with little effort compared to other tubeless ready rims I have used.
    thanks for the feedback!

I have just created another thread dedicated to wide alloy wheels since I didn't want to go off topic in here. Could you go to that thread and chime in your info too? Especially if you have used the AL33 in tubeless configuration. Give us feedback on braking performance, handling, cornering, or whatever else you can think of.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/whe...nt-366159.html

changingleaf
    In my experience the Boyd rim is extremely well made and has the nicest finish, but if you're riding tubeless then the other two choices have a better shape for tubeless setup.

RoadBikeReview Member
    https://btlos.com/carbon-rims-clinch...rake-available

Their products have a 3.5-year warranty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hmm now I'm thinking forget carbon all together and go with a quality alloy wheelset based on this AL33 rim. Decision decision.
    Now you're talking!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein