Low profile 700x28c tires??
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004

Low profile 700x28c tires??

Crashed my Fuji road bike last weekend and had to replace the fork. Bought an Alpha Q CS-20 off of eBay. Nice fork, looks nice on the bike and fits great EXCEPT that the bridge is significantly lower than the original Fuji fork and now my 28c tires are rubbing on the underside of the fork. I have another set of wheels with 25c tires and they fit fine but I'd like to have the extra width of the 28s. Any recommendations for a low-profile 28c road tire or a 25c that runs a little wider? Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I think that if you ran low profile 28's, there would be no advantage over standard 25's. Are you looking for more straight line traction, I would suggest shifting to the next higher gear.
    BANNED

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I think some companies are marketing 26mm...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Are low profile bicycle tires even a thing? I'm thinking not.

Stick with the 25's, or like rideit said 26's. I know Compass makes a 26, and if they do I'm pretty sure others do as well.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    You can't really think in terms of car tires other than regarding the rubber that's glued or vulcanized on. The rubber can be flat or sort of V shaped or whatever but the tires themselves are flexible all the way around so a given width will be a given height with all tires (other than the difference in rubber thickness).

Vittoria corsas are one that is pretty low for it's width because the rubber (tread) they glue on is thin.

Wider rims might change a little. But as the light bulb effect goes away as the rim gets wider tires actually get higher profile until a certain point where they start getting lower.

Not all tires companies measure the same. The bottom line here is you can fit what you can fit regardless of that mm number is printed on the side of the tire.

I don't think Veloflex makes a 28mm clincher but if they did you could probably use it because their tires are smaller than advertised. But if a certain 28mm fits and another doesn't that isn't because the one that does has a lower profile it's because it's a smaller tires (aside from what I was saying about tread).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jkretsch View Post
    Crashed my Fuji road bike last weekend and had to replace the fork. Bought an Alpha Q CS-20 off of eBay. Nice fork, looks nice on the bike and fits great EXCEPT that the bridge is significantly lower than the original Fuji fork and now my 28c tires are rubbing on the underside of the fork. I have another set of wheels with 25c tires and they fit fine but I'd like to have the extra width of the 28s. Any recommendations for a low-profile 28c road tire or a 25c that runs a little wider? Thanks.
    With the exception of tread thickness, bicyle tires have an essentially round shape from rim edge to rim edge unless you get quite extreme on rim width vs. tire size. Therefore the only way you are going to get more clearance from a 28 is either thinner tread or a tire that is simply sized smaller despite what it says on the sidewall. Given that your tire will inevitably pick up small stones and other road debris, it's not a good idea to be riding a tire that is just an mm or so from the fork crown.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    I had a front wheel get jammed by a pebble, it felt like the brake was locked. I don’t need that much excitement!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    SOLVED!! I saw a posting on another forum about grinding off the lawyer lips and mounting the front wheel lower down in the dropout slots and brushed it off as craziness ... then I got to thinking about it and all I needed was an additional millimeter or two of clearance. So I cleaned up the dropouts, turned the bike upside down, and put some epoxy in each of the dropout slots. I let it dry and then filed it down so it was even on both sides, filling in about 2 millimeters of the dropout slot. I put my big, fat 28c tire in there and clamped it down and wah lah!! Perfect!! Plenty of clearance now. I filed down the epoxy so as to give just enough clearance that the quick release still fits without having to file off the lawyer lips.

[REDACTED]
    SOLVED!! I saw a posting on another forum about grinding off the lawyer lips and mounting the front wheel lower down in the dropout slots and brushed it off as craziness ... then I got to thinking about it and all I needed was an additional millimeter or two of clearance. So I cleaned up the dropouts, turned the bike upside down, and put some epoxy in each of the dropout slots. I let it dry and then filed it down so it was even on both sides, filling in about 2 millimeters of the dropout slot. I put my big, fat 28c tire in there and clamped it down and wah lah!! Perfect!! Plenty of clearance now. I filed down the epoxy so as to give just enough clearance that the quick release still fits without having to file off the lawyer lips.
    Not recommended.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Not recommended.
    Can you elaborate?

jpz
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Can you elaborate?
    If that epoxy cracks/chips/loosens with the constant vibration/pounding of riding &the front wheel slides up in the dropouts, it ain't gona be pretty.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by jpz View Post
    If that epoxy cracks/chips/loosens with the constant vibration/pounding of riding &the front wheel slides up in the dropouts, it ain't gona be pretty.
    Exactly. CXWrench must not have seen this yet or he would certainly have something to say about this hack.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I'm not an expert on epoxy adhesion to metal or it's cracking under pressure, but that sounds like it have good potential for learning the hard way it's kinda stupid.

Some sort of appropriate tape might actually be a decent idea though. Something that's not going to just fall of or crumble. You can deal with very slow gradual wear.

Or use a tire that fits your fork.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post

This actually sounds like a pretty good idea.

But if you are set on doing something like this it may be better to use a steel filled epoxy such as this rifle bedding compound.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...aspx?rrec=true

It is made to stand up to stand up to heavy recoiling rifles. I still think you'd be better off running a tire that fits.
    Last edited by velodog; 02-27-2019 at 02:36 PM.
    Too old to ride plastic

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I'm not an expert on epoxy adhesion to metal or it's cracking under pressure, but that sounds like it have good potential for learning the hard way it's kinda stupid.

Some sort of appropriate tape might actually be a decent idea though. Something that's not going to just fall of or crumble. You can deal with very slow gradual wear.

Or get a bike that can fit wider tires.