Low profile tires 25s
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006

Low profile tires 25s

Components,wrenching section I have been posting how I love 25 tires but I have rubbed off paint and roughed up carbonon on my 2007 Lemond Buenos Aires frame.
    Are there any low profile 25 tires that are not as tall!?
    Thanks in advance
    RC

changingleaf
    Not all 25mm tires are the same size. I think you'll have to compare your tire to other brands and models. You can find one that is smaller or use a 24mm tire or a large 23mm tire or you can use a 23mm tire on a wide rim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I believe a wider rim will effectively decrease the width of the same inflated tire, while increasing its width. could be wrong.

grizzly moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadCube View Post
    Components,wrenching section I have been posting how I love 25 tires but I have rubbed off paint and roughed up carbonon on my 2007 Lemond Buenos Aires frame.
    Are there any low profile 25 tires that are not as tall!?
    Thanks in advance
    RC
    Quality road tires are typically almost as tall as they are wide on standard rims. Beyond that the internal width of the rim tends to alter this relationship.

grizzly moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    I believe a wider rim may effectively increase the heightof the same inflated tire, while increasing its width. could be wrong.
    Fixed it for you

Edit: this may be a more accurate fix than my first attempt.
    Last edited by dcgriz; 10-21-2015 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Revise and correct initial response

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I am not sure that is the case. Look at the HED image.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Using the KISS methodology, consider getting better riding 23mm tires.

I have 23 tubeless Fushion Hutchinson that ride very nice, and lower pressure use does not risk pinch flats.

Depending on your weight, which I did not see mention by the OP... Or if wheels are tubeless capable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robt57/Me!
    Everything you read that I post is just '1' guy's opinion, try to sort it all out best you can. ;) I will try to add value in my posts, if I miss the mark please let me know using a little decorum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    We had a protracted discussion on this in a revived thread earlier this year. A wider rim can lead to both tire width and height increases.
    "When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments."
    -Elizabeth Howard West

Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    It sounds like you want a tire that's supposed to be bigger but is smaller.
    you could get veloflex who's 25s are actually smaller than other 23s I've used. Or you could buy 23s and write 25 on them with a magic marker.

I understand you like 25mm tires but that's because they are bigger. Getting smaller tires that are called 25s negates the reason you like them.

I saw the other thread also. Just face the facts that your frame doesn't take 25 mm tires and sell it or learn to live with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    ... Just face the facts that your frame doesn't take 25 mm tires and sell it or learn to live with it.
    The right answer.
    "When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments."
    -Elizabeth Howard West

Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Or you could buy 23s and write 25 on them with a magic marker.

Quote Originally Posted by Robt57/Me!
    Everything you read that I post is just '1' guy's opinion, try to sort it all out best you can. ;) I will try to add value in my posts, if I miss the mark please let me know using a little decorum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    Try Veloflex Corsas. Not only are they narrower than other 25s I've tried. But their sidewall is not as tall too giving you a low profile look.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
    OT. This made me LOL so hard. This mutt looks so much like the cartoon show I used to watch as a young kid. This was prolly in the early or mid 70s? Can't figure out the name of the show. It's about this mutt and a fighter pilot lol. I think the dogs m
    name is Muttley

grizzly moderator
    Saw the pic but frankly never studied it...till this evening and then I went to do my own measurements.
    Measured a 28mm Conti 4kSii on a 14mm rim and on a 17mm rim. The tire grew by 3mm in width and a couple of tenths in height as well. The crossectional outline of the tire changed as well. Did not dismount the tires to see how different the bead hooks may be, if they are, so I don't know if this may be a variable affecting the outcome.
    The increase in height appears to be counterintuitive at first thought but it is there although in minimal proportions to the increase in width.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Muttley it is. ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    I believe a wider rim will effectively decrease the width of the same inflated tire, while increasing its width. could be wrong.
    My experience going from a standard width rim to a 25mm wide rim is that both the width and height of the tire grows. Granted the height only grows slightly.

Almost every company makes a low profile 25. Just look for the ones labeled 23.

I loved 25's too. When I switched to my HED + rims I found that a 23mm tire measures more than 25mm when installed.

The OP could try some 25's that run small, like a Conti 4 seasons, but that would be no different than running a 23 that runs large like a Michelin. The point to the OP is don't get hung up on the number "25". You need a smaller tire on your bike. Find the largest physical size, not labelled size, that will fit. Do a search for installed tire widths to narrow down your search, I know people have recorded such things.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue CheeseHead View Post

The OP could try some 25's that run small, like a Conti 4 seasons, but that would be no different than running a 23 that runs large like a Michelin.
    I am not nit picking but I think your statement is factually wrong.

1. True: a 25 mm labelled Michelin whether Endurance or Pro4 Race runs large at the order of 70-72mm (measured flat).

2. Wrong: a 23 mm labelled Michelin whether Endurance or Pro4Race runs large. It runs very, very small approx 60mm.

3. True: a 23 mm labelled old (year <2008) Michelin Krylion runs large: 64 mm flat.

4. Wrong (agree: no first hand experience from my side): a 25 mm labelled Conti 4 Season runs small compared to a 23 mm Michelin. A 25 mm Conti 4 Season runs large and true to size approx 68 mm flat.

5. True: a 25 mm labelled Conti Gatorskin runs smallish by comparison: 64 mm flat.

OP: Please answer the following: what tyre are you using.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Tires are Bontrager AW2 25x700.
    RoadCube

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadCube View Post
    Tires are Bontrager AW2 25x700.
    RoadCube
    Still a lot depends on the shape and thickness of the rubber and a single measure does not tell the whole story, e.g. people always neglect the height of the tyre o the rim when talking about tyre size.

However, would you fancy taking a measurement of the flat tyre. I personally think everything > 68 mm for a 25 mm tyre is large.

As I already have mentioned: 23 mm vs 25 mm Michelin. Sounds small - 2 mm - right? Not so, if you take into account a whopping 12 mm (60 mm vs 70-72 mm when measured stretched out flat) or nearly half an inch in the extreme case.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    maybe consider Specialized Roubaix 23/25mm tires. It's like a 23mm tread with a 25mm casing.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    maybe consider Specialized Roubaix 23/25mm tires. It's like a 23mm tread with a 25mm casing.
    I hope they have improved on quality. Had this tyre some years ago: same piece of crap as Schwalbe tyres and very unsafe to ride and will disintegrate. The idiots from Specialized refused to honor the warranty (front and rear disintegrated) and claimed I am the first ever to have any problems with Specialized tyres. Such a bunch of wonkers: the internet at that time (4-5 years ago) was full of tyre blowouts threads of that particular tryre.

Since then I have not been taking any chances with buying anything Specialized.

The 23/25 mm Specialized tat was a very big tyre - also in height - if I recall correctly. I do not think this tyre will solve the OPs problem to be honest.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    I haven't had issues with Specialized MTB tires though.

for the OP... sounds like he needs go with 23mm tires.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    The narrowest 25c tire I have found so far is the Vredestein Fortezza Senso All Weather. It measures the same as my Conti GP4000SII 23c.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    By my measurements Bontrager AW2 measured 68 mm flat including beads.
    Thank You for responses
    RC

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Measured Bontrager AW2 25 tire at 68mm wide

RC