Which Lube

Thread: Which Lube

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Which Lube

I just got a set of wheels with the WI T11 hubs and the rear hub is real noisy. What would be the best oil to use to quiet it down. I heard either Phil Wood or something similar.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Do NOT use heavy grease in an attempt to make your hub less noisy. If you wanted a quiet rear hub you should have bought something else.

ETA: I would not use oil either, it doesn't stay where it's needed and it will leak out and make a mess.
    Last edited by cxwrench; 09-14-2019 at 08:12 AM.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    T-11 are not quiet hubs to start with.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Mine are VERY quiet......when I am pedaling. They don't bother me when not.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Do NOT use heavy grease in an attempt to make your hub less noisy. If you wanted a quiet rear hub you should have bought something else.
    Interestingly, I came across someone who had a newer set of DT Swiss wheels which were very quiet, unlike older DT Swiss hubs which were noisy as f***. Or maybe it was the model?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    From the servicing instructions on their website:

6. Clean out the ratchet ring area in the hub shell so that it is free of grease. Replace pawls and
    spring as needed and coat pawl and spring pockets with a light oil or dry lube (Fig.9). DO NOT
    GREASE.

The all caps is direct copy/paste and and it's in bold when reading on their website.

Unless someone screwed up at the factory yours already have the "light oil or dry lube" so there is nothing you can (or should) do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Don't coast or ear plugs.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

ETA: I would not use oil either, it doesn't stay where it's needed and it will leak out and make a mess.
    What do you use?

I use the Shimano special grease, very light but it stays where you put pretty well. Just a bit in the WI hubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Interestingly, I came across someone who had a newer set of DT Swiss wheels which were very quiet, unlike older DT Swiss hubs which were noisy as f***. Or maybe it was the model?
    If they were the higher end DT w/ the ratchet drive they were probably recently greased. The pawl hubs are not super loud so it could've been those. The 240 type hubs will be much quieter when newly greased then get progressively louder as the grease gets older. They're louder w/ carbon rims as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

90W gear lube tends to stay in place and is quieter than regular oil.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    If they were the higher end DT w/ the ratchet drive they were probably recently greased. The pawl hubs are not super loud so it could've been those. The 240 type hubs will be much quieter when newly greased then get progressively louder as the grease gets older. They're louder w/ carbon rims as well.
    You ever work on a set of OnyxRP hubs? Even with carbon rims, dead silent. Love those hubs.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Never Give Up!

Is park Tool PPL-1 Polylube 1000 Polyurea Grease good for hubs bearings
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

Quote Originally Posted by ROAD&DIRT View Post
    Is park Tool PPL-1 Polylube 1000 Polyurea Grease good for hubs bearings
    Loose ball bearings like Shimano or Campy? Sure.

.je
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a tube of Lubriplate 1200-2 (NLGI #2, Lithium 12 Hydroxy grease), for heavy-duty construction equipment.
    Is this grease suitable for Shimano loose-ball wheel bearings? I'm guessing it's not, and that regular white lithium grease is better.

Quote Originally Posted by .je View Post
    I have a tube of Lubriplate 1200-2 (NLGI #2, Lithium 12 Hydroxy grease), for heavy-duty construction equipment.
    Is this grease suitable for Shimano loose-ball wheel bearings? I'm guessing it's not, and that regular white lithium grease is better.

You're guessing correctly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by .je View Post
    Probably a very stiff grease that would just get pushed out of the way by the pawls and not offer much lubrication. Alternatively it might keep the pawls from engaging. Neither outcome would be considered "optimum."

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Probably a very stiff grease that would just get pushed out of the way by the pawls and not offer much lubrication. Alternatively it might keep the pawls from engaging. Neither outcome would be considered "optimum."
    IMO, if you are going to the trouble of taking the hubs apart, cleaning them and repacking them, just get the correct grease and be done with it:

https://www.performancebike.com/shim...yABEgKcdvD_BwE
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

changingleaf
    The newer 48 tooth ratchet on the White Industries hubs is much loader than the 24 tooth ratchet that the hubs used to come with. Use lighter grease. Any grease you use may quite the pawls for only a short amount of time. Once the grease spreads out the hub will sound the same as before.