Mavic Cosmic Carbones or DT Swiss?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004

Mavic Cosmic Carbones or DT Swiss?

Hi fellas,

Santa has offered to bring me a new set of wheels. I had been thinking Cosmic Carbones but was playing around today on the Excel Sports site and saw that I can build a pair of DT Swiss with 240S hubs and RR 1.2 rims that would be about $1,000 less than the Mavics. Or to put it another way, I could get the custom wheels and a Power Tap for about the price of the Mavics.

A little about me: I'm a cat.3/masters racer. I'm best at climbing though I'm a little big to be a true climber (6'0" 150-155#)...most of my "A" races are heavy on climbing. Not a sprinter and definitely more spinner than masher.

I've got a decent pair of climbing wheels (Ksyriums) so I was looking for something a little more aero this year and trying to branch out into some races with flatter to rolling courses. I have been wanting some kind of power meter but really don't want to spring for the $$$ for wheels and a PT.

Pro's and con's:

- The nod goes to the Mavics for aero as their rim is 40 mm vs. 30.7 for the DT Swiss. Still, even the DT's would be ~ 10 mm deeper than my Ksyriums so either one would be an improvement.

- Weight - based on the specs I looked at today, the nod goes to the Mavics again but not by a huge margin (100 - 150 g). Since the improvement to my current set-up I'm looking for is "more aero," I'm really not the worried about weight anyway.

- Cost of repair and maintenance - I'm think DT would be the better bet here. I know Mavic has their crash replacement insurance and a relatively reasonable non-warranty rebuild. Still to rebuild a $700 or $800 wheel, I think I could start over with a new DT Swiss rim and spokes and come out cheaper.

- Durability - Any feedback on which is better here?

- Performance - How much would I be giving up in the way of aerodynamics if I go with the DT's?

- Anything else?

Right now, I'd have to think that the Mavics would offer slightly better performance, but I can't imagine it's $1,000 better for my purposes.

Appreciate the feedback!!

Rookie
    Aug 2007
    check out the cosmic carbone pro wheelset. the price seems hard to beat at $1100-1200. sure they're not as light as the lighest deep carbon wheelsets, but they're fast on rolling courses and cost HALF as much as the top of the line carbon tubulars out there. PLUS mavic makes some of the best hubs around- durability and reliability of cosmic wheels has never been questioned with mavic products in my experience.

Nov 2007
    The pro wheels you mention have been replaced by what in Mavic's new models?

http://www.mavic.com/road/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I had a wheel set built last spring with Dura Ace hubs, DT Swiss 1.2 rims, and Sapim CX spokes...pictures here http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=100992 A 1000+ miles later, and no problems. I have 2 other sets of wheels (DT Swiss 240s/Velocity Aeroheads and Ksyriums) but I found myself riding these more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Carbones are stiff and fast, period!

Rookie
    Aug 2007
    the pro wheels ave been discontinued this 2008, replaced by the carbone ultimate ($3000). the pro is such a great wheel because it's much lighter than the aluminum-rimmed carbon-faired sl and premium models still offered. my thinking is that mavic doesnt want to have a mid-range full carbon rimmed wheelset that would distract your attention and wallet away from their top of the line, but $3000 ultimates. competitive cyclist and many other places are selling the carbone pros for under $1200.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have had a pair of Cosmic Carbones Ultimates close to a year. These wheels are VERY stiff, great in corners, bomb-proof, and SUPERB for closing gaps and sprinting. They are a touch on the heavy side; would not want to use them for any long climbs. These wheels are best for flat terrain or mostly flat/some moderate hills.

Rookie
    Aug 2007

Question

Quote Originally Posted by fornaca68
    I have had a pair of Cosmic Carbones Ultimates close to a year. These wheels are VERY stiff, great in corners, bomb-proof, and SUPERB for closing gaps and sprinting. They are a touch on the heavy side; would not want to use them for any long climbs. These wheels are best for flat terrain or mostly flat/some moderate hills.
    Dude, the Ultimates are listed at 1185grams. if that's heavy to you then, i must be going nuts....