Max Air Pressure rim vs. tire (Fortezzas)

Mar 2006

Max Air Pressure rim vs. tire (Fortezzas)

I have Shimano R550 wheels and bought some Vredestein Fortezza Tricomps. Sidewall says max pressure is 175 psi. Wow. I was thinking the max on these was 145 PSI. Being 200 lbs +, not sure what pressure I should run at? Also, any worries in the rims being able to handle the increased air pressure? Tire instructions say to check in with rim manufacturer to confirm. I typically run tires at 115 - 120 psi. Was thinking 130-140 psi with these.

Thanks

Banned forever.....or not
    No reason to put more than 120/125 in the rear, and 110/115 in the front.
    If you were to use them on a track, you might go to 130.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree with grumpy

Too much tire pressure and the road will beat you up. A smooth wooden track is one thing but a road with seams, sand and potholes will cause pain. Your tires conform less to the road under greater pressure and will 'bounce' you. Diffrent tires and diffrent rider weights will make a bit of a diffrence but in general i'd stick pretty close to those numbers grumpy gave ya. I'll often even ride less when i'm lazy and don't want to pump em up.

Mar 2004
    I have heard/read that some Vreds stated 175 PSI max, but I've not seen these guys. All of my Tri-Comps are the 145 PSI variety. I have routinely pumped to 145 before every ride without any problems. My wheels are Velomax Ascent 1's. I did get a couple pinch flats when I tried to use pressures of 110-120 PSI.

Mar 2006

Still trying to find out

What max tire pressure Shimano R550 wheels/rims are rated for? Nothing on Shimano's website and no email contact listed.

Anyone know?

As far as the Fortezzas go, does anyone else have pinch flat issues at normal pressures 115-120? Perhaps they NEED to be run at higher pressures? Still haven't mounted them yet, getting every penny from my current tires.

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member

No need to pump it high

I run them at 105psi front & 100psi rear. So far after approx. 1000 miles, no flat yet. In fact, I do not get many flat, may be once a year. I do pay attention to where I am going and avoid potential hazard as much as possible. BTW, I'm 155lb.