Michelin Pro4 Verdict After 4 Months - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I have been riding 23mm Michelin ProRace service course tires since the ProRace 2. Overall the ride has been excellent and I have had exactly one flat on the road in those years. They donít cut easily, are good in the wet and have decent service life (1500-1700 miles for the rear tire). They have always been my favorite bike tire.

Except I wonít be buying any more of them.

Starting with the Pro3s I began to get cracks, not road cuts, all around the tire. On most of the Pro3s they were small cracks, annoying but I put up with them for the ride quality. But the last couple of pair I put on were cracking within the first two weeks and quickly got worse. They work well but look awful. The latest Pro3 on the front wheel quickly developed a narrow split in the exact middle of the tread that is now almost completely around the entire tire. It sometimes catches tiny bits of gravel that I have to stop and brush off. These are the red sidewall tires, which I have been using on that particular bike since 2008 when I bought the first set of Pro3s that my shop got in.

On my other bike I have been running black Pro4s. They are cracking also, although not as badly. On my wifeís oldest bike, which she rides only occasionally, are a pair of made-in-France Pro2s. Not one single crack anywhere on those tires even though they are several years old. The Pro2s that I used in the past on my bikes were also made in France and never cracked. My Pro3s and 4s are made in Thailand and every one develops cracks shortly after putting them in service. Michelin seems to have some quality issue at their manufacturing facility in Thailand.

Sad, since the ProRace has been my favorite tire for years. But when my current stash is gone they wonít be replaced.

Last edited by Scar; 10-11-2014 at 01:29 PM.

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by metalheart View Post
    I bought the Pro 4 Service Course in 25mm in January. I have only ridden about 2k so far and I have had 4 different flats. Previously I have used Conti 4000s and in 7k miles last year I had one flat from a pile of glass I ran through. the ride of the Pro 4's are nice, but they are not the tire for me. I may try the Schwable One or just return to the Contis.

I too have had very poor luck and keep flatting with these damn things, I'm so over there. Never had a problem like this with PR2. PR3 was close. But these PR4's are a flat nightmare.

I'm done with them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    I have been riding 23mm Michelin ProRace service course tires since the ProRace 2. Overall the ride has been excellent and I have had exactly one flat on the road in those years. They donít cut easily, are good in the wet and have decent service life (1500-1700 miles for the rear tire). They have always been my favorite bike tire.

Except I wonít be buying any more of them.

Starting with the Pro3s I began to get cracks, not road cuts, all around the tire. On most of the Pro3s they were small cracks, annoying but I put up with them for the ride quality. But the last couple of pair I put on were cracking within the first two weeks and quickly got worse. They work well but look awful. The latest Pro3 on the front wheel quickly developed a narrow split in the exact middle of the tread that is now almost completely around the entire tire. It sometimes catches tiny bits of gravel that I have to stop and brush off. These are the red sidewall tires, which I have been using on that particular bike since 2008 when I bought the first set of Pro3s that my shop got in.

On my other bike I have been running black Pro4s. They are cracking also, although not as badly. On my wifeís oldest bike, which she rides only occasionally, are a pair of made-in-France Pro2s. Not one single crack anywhere on those tires even though they are several years old. The Pro2s that I used in the past on my bikes were also made in France and never cracked. My Pro3s and 4s are made in Thailand and every one develops cracks shortly after putting them in service. Michelin seems to have some quality issue at their manufacturing facility in Thailand.

Sad, since the ProRace has been my favorite tire for years. But when my current stash is gone they wonít be replaced.

I know exactly what you are talking about! Last couple Michelin Pro tires started to show those cracks all over sidewalls. Rode the rear until really squared off and didnít seem to affect ride or performance but very disturbing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    I know exactly what you are talking about! Last couple Michelin Pro tires started to show those cracks all over sidewalls. Rode the rear until really squared off and didnít seem to affect ride or performance but very disturbing.
    You do realize that the post you responded to is 5 years old dont you?

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    In that case, I'll bet that they are even more cracked now....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    Never even looked at the date of that post! Saw the thread, read some replies and his post was exactly what I noticed about Pro 4 tires that I used to run. 5 year old post so Michelin Pro 9 out now? 😎

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12