mixin up china wheels: alloy carbon front wheel and full carbon rear
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

mixin up china wheels: alloy carbon front wheel and full carbon rear

has anyone thought of/ done this?

I have quit a few climbs where I live and I'm not comfortable with getting full carbon wheels bc of braking concerns when I bomb downhill. I've seen these alloy/ carbon aero wheels but they're heavy! about 2,000g a set for 42mm. The full carbon ones weigh in at 1,300g a set for 50mm. Does it make sense to use the alloy for the front wheel (since that has the most braking power) and full carbon for the rear wheel? I figure doing something like that would give me carbon/ aero wheels at a weight of 1650g ~ish (the weights are approximations bc i was too lazy to find out individual weight for each wheel).

Feel free to let me know if I'm wasting my time with this idea. BTW my current wheels are the ones that came with my caad8, Shimano WH-R550. They're 1850g or so.

https://farsports.cn/ViewProduct.aspx?id=688

https://farsports.cn/ViewProduct.aspx?id=685

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I should note that I'd probably use these aero wheels on a regular basis so I don't intend to go babying them and only use them during races/ time trials. i want that front wheel's reliable braking for more long term peace of mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aero is less important on the rear as its dirty air, why not get some RS80s, around 1540g, alloy brake surface, can be had for $450ish and you don't have to worry about quality.
    2012 Cervelo S5 Team
    2012 Felt Z6 (sold)