Mounting a really tight tire on a rim...............
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015

Mounting a really tight tire on a rim...............

This might be old news to this forum, but new to me. Recently purchased a Diamondback hardtail. The stock tires were so wide, and heavy, that I decided to go with a gravel tire with a file tread, as that is how I will be using this bike. I do have a fair bit of experience changing out bike tires, but mostly on road bikes. Removal of the OEM tires was a bit more difficult than I expected. The bead was really locked in, but it was done with hands and some tire levers.

On to the mounting, and things got very difficult. I could not get the tire mounted. A quick consult with You Tube revealed that I was battling with friction. Once I lubed up the tire bead, and rims with Dawn dishwashing soap, I was able to mount the tires using just my hands. I was truly amazed at this technique. Just passing this on. I found a small container to store some Dawn, and will keep it in my saddle bag.

Jim D

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Proper lubrication cannot be taken too lightly. There are actually a LOT of products in the moto industry to help getting tires mounted/beads seated. They can be used on bicycle wheels/tires.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    By way if you over inflate them for a few days (when not riding) they shouldn't be nearly as bad the second time if you get a flat on the road.

[REDACTED]
    Ahh yes, mounting tires will never be the same since the advent of tubeless compatible rims. I started a similar thread here:

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/wh...ad-367715.html

One of the mechanics at my shop claims the only way to dislodge the bead on some tires is to place the rim on the ground and step on the bead.

I'm not sure Jay's method would work on a tubeless compatible tire. And I have to wonder how much I could over inflate the tire before I risk deafness.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    For those stubborn tires, get yourself a Koolstop tire bead jack. I've never met a tire/rim that this didn't make it a piece of cake to get on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EZRSz1DlHg

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I'm not sure Jay's method would work on a tubeless compatible tire.
    It helps on tubeless as well.

And I have to wonder how much I could over inflate the tire before I risk deafness.
    Just inflate to the max recommended pressure, which is always way "over inflated" from actual riding pressure.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    For those stubborn tires, get yourself a Koolstop tire bead jack. I've never met a tire/rim that this didn't make it a piece of cake to get on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EZRSz1DlHg
    Get on, yes. Get off, no.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Get on, yes. Get off, no.
    Yes, per thread title "Mounting a really tight tire on a rim..............."

As far as getting off, I've never had an issue getting a tubeless tire off with normal levers. (not that I've tried every tire)
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by desaljs View Post
    On to the mounting, and things got very difficult. I could not get the tire mounted. A quick consult with You Tube revealed that I was battling with friction. Once I lubed up the tire bead, and rims with Dawn dishwashing soap, I was able to mount the tires using just my hands. I was truly amazed at this technique. Just passing this on. I found a small container to store some Dawn, and will keep it in my saddle bag.
    Another thing that works (without leaving soapy residue) is baby powder. People use it to make inner tubes more "slippery" so thy don't stick to the inside of the tire, and if you put it on the bead, the tire will pop into the rim groove more easily.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I've used my saliva in a pinch before.

Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    I thought we were talking bikes here?

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    As far as getting off, I've never had an issue getting a tubeless tire off with normal levers. (not that I've tried every tire)
    Try getting a WTB Byway tire off a WTB KOM rim sometime. The tire and rim are virtually inseparable.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I thought we were talking bikes here?
    I'm not saying that saliva is on the same level as Phil Wood waterproof grease or ProLink. Or Dawn or WD40.

But saliva is the next best thing, except for ProLink, which we all know you love nearly as much as I do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    that's what she said
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Russian Troll Farmer
    Proper lubrication cannot be taken too lightly. There are actually a LOT of products in the moto industry to help getting tires mounted/beads seated. They can be used on bicycle wheels/tires.
    Including "Monkey Snot"????
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Including "Monkey Snot"????
    And Llama snot. And JohnnySnot(TM)

[REDACTED]
    And Llama snot. And JohnnySnot(TM)
    You mean this:

https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/p...shifter-grease

I wonder if putting some of that on the shifter cable where the shifter wraps it would extend the time before it frays on my Shimano "I love to eat cables" shifter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by desaljs View Post
    This might be old news to this forum, but new to me. Recently purchased a Diamondback hardtail. The stock tires were so wide, and heavy, that I decided to go with a gravel tire with a file tread, as that is how I will be using this bike. I do have a fair bit of experience changing out bike tires, but mostly on road bikes. Removal of the OEM tires was a bit more difficult than I expected. The bead was really locked in, but it was done with hands and some tire levers.

Jim D
    Late to the party, but how about talc powder? Not quite as slippery as liquid, but does the job, IME.

Rub talc around the spare tube before folding it up and putting it in the sandwich bag, and it'll go on nicely replacing a flat on the road. It allows the tube to slide and seat properly when aired up; doesn't "catch" inside the tire flexing over the "flat spot" or bumps; therefore some claim it even lessens rolling resistance.

It doesn't weigh anything, take up space in your kit, and leaves no residue.