Mystery (possible) flat
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014

Mystery (possible) flat

Was out riding earlier and using a bike with Victoria latex tubes and GP5000. Pre ride check and all looked good - inflated rear to 95 and front to 90. Went out for my rider and 3/4 way through felt like i was on rear suspension. Topped up the air since there was no evidence of a flat and went on - you used it tire went low again and I changed out the tube and limped home.
    Inspected the tube and cannot find a leak anywhere. Filled it up enough to give it some shape and had to jet out the door but as far as I can tell there is no leak based on a quick fill and listen.
    Anyone else experience this?

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by FasterStronger View Post
    Was out riding earlier and using a bike with Victoria latex tubes and GP5000. Pre ride check and all looked good - inflated rear to 95 and front to 90. Went out for my rider and 3/4 way through felt like i was on rear suspension. Topped up the air since there was no evidence of a flat and went on - you used it tire went low again and I changed out the tube and limped home.
    Inspected the tube and cannot find a leak anywhere. Filled it up enough to give it some shape and had to jet out the door but as far as I can tell there is no leak based on a quick fill and listen.
    Yes. With a leaking presta valve. BTW, for a slow leak just listening for a leak is pointless. You can only find the source of a slow leak by submerging it in water.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    No evidence of a flat? Your tire went soft! And why did you have to limp home with the spare tube? I've changed a tube 5 miles into a 110 mile ride and gone on with no issues.

You either have a pinhole leak or a leaky valve. As No Time noted, pump the tube up to "large sausage" size and hold it under water while slowly moving it. Your leak might take the form of a slowly forming bubble on the tube. Once you find the pinhole, match the tube to the tire and be ABSOLUTELY sure that there is nothing imbedded in the tire. This might require flexing the tire inside out to get the shard to show itself.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    A series of classic "I don't really know how to change a flat properly" mistakes. Follow the above advice. Always carry a pump, don't rely on CO2.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    A series of classic "I don't really know how to change a flat properly" mistakes. Follow the above advice. Always carry a pump, don't rely on CO2.
    +1 for always carrying a pump.

... and always a patch kit in addition to the spare tube you carry... plus a $5 bill (or equivalent) to fold up and use to shore up the inside of a slightly gashed tire or majorly punctured tire (to prevent a tube-hernia).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    What is this thing you call a 'pump'?~
    BANNED

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    What is this thing you call a 'pump'?~
    That's what she said.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I hope you are a better mech than reader. I used a pump and neither pump nor c02 was mentioned in my post.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post

... and always a patch kit in addition to the spare tube you carry... plus a $5 bill (or equivalent) to fold up and use to shore up the inside of a slightly gashed tire or majorly punctured tire (to prevent a tube-hernia).
    Why not a $1 bill? Will the $5 bill patch last 5 times as long?

I hope you are a better mech than reader. I used a pump and neither pump nor c02 was mentioned in my post.
    There goes the thread.

"With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

I didn't know what you used, just throwing that advice out there since you're not the only person reading this thread.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Why not a $1 bill? Will the $5 bill patch last 5 times as long?
    The $5 bill fix is one that has been passed down to us from our elders and ancestors. The Wisdom of the Ages be upon us. Question it at your own peril.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post

Cut a few squares of Tyvek (material of house wrap and "synthetic paper" express envelopes) and keep them in your seat pack with your spare tube. This works well as a temporary tire boot.

Then there is my brother-in-law's story where he used paper money to boot a tire, got to the end of the ride nearing a bonk, put the bike in his car, took out the money, and bought a Coke.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    So, are you ever going to explain to us why you "limped home" after changing your flat?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    So, are you ever going to explain to us why you "limped home" after changing your flat?
    Well, aside from low tire pressure, if I only have one tube and no patch kit, I can't get another flat. So best high tail it home. "Limp" may not be the precise term, but for me, the ride is over.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Cut a few squares of Tyvek (material of house wrap and "synthetic paper" express envelopes) and keep them in your seat pack with your spare tube. This works well as a temporary tire boot.

Then there is my brother-in-law's story where he used paper money to boot a tire, got to the end of the ride nearing a bonk, put the bike in his car, took out the money, and bought a Coke.
    That's why they call this $5 bill tire boot technique The Smart Money. If you hear that term, now you know where it comes from.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    You take yourself way too seriously. Explain what exactly? You are a real trip.
    You are welcome to substitute whatever words makes your heart happy. Life is short - don’t get too caught up on Internet forums - sorry to keep you waiting.

You take yourself way too seriously. Explain what exactly? You are a real trip.
    You are welcome to substitute whatever words makes your heart happy. Life is short - don’t get too caught up on Internet forums - sorry to keep you waiting.
    Funny thing is Kerry wasn't asking you a question so you didn't keep him waiting. Reading comprehension for the win.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Funny thing is Kerry wasn't asking you a question so you didn't keep him waiting. Reading comprehension for the win.
    I see I hit a nerve and you are just dying to use the reading comprehension thing now -
    Try to follow along CX:
    Originally Posted by Kerry IronsSo, are you ever going to explain to us why you "limped home" after changing your flat?

Looks like a question no? See the question mark? I don’t know if you actually are a mech in the real world. I would hope that you are more helpful to your clients than you are here playing a passive aggressive jackass who rarely offers anything of value - rather you just sit back and ***** about people posting in the wrong forum and offering snide remarks masked as answers. This place has died a low death over the last few years and attitudes like those displayed here are a good example why. You may know more about bikes than the average guy - I am certain you know more than me - but you are most definitely someone who is an unhappy person or you wouldn’t be looking to kick people in the nuts everyday on a bike forum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I see I hit a nerve and you are just dying to use the reading comprehension thing now -
    Try to follow along CX:
    Originally Posted by Kerry IronsSo, are you ever going to explain to us why you "limped home" after changing your flat?

Looks like a question no? See the question mark? I don’t know if you actually are a mech in the real world. I would hope that you are more helpful to your clients than you are here playing a passive aggressive jackass who rarely offers anything of value - rather you just sit back and ***** about people posting in the wrong forum and offering snide remarks masked as answers. This place has died a low death over the last few years and attitudes like those displayed here are a good example why. You may know more about bikes than the average guy - I am certain you know more than me - but you are most definitely someone who is an unhappy person or you wouldn’t be looking to kick people in the nuts everyday on a bike forum.
    Angry much?

So why did you "limp" home? Was the new tube not holding air, did you not have a patch kit and were worried about another flat or couldn't you pump up the tire sufficiently to continue the ride? Shux, it's easy enough to stop at a bike shop and pick up a patch kit or top off the tire and continue the ride. A prepared cyclist shouldn't need to cut short a ride and "limp home" because of a flat.
    Too old to ride plastic

[REDACTED]
    If your new tube was leaking air, you most likely did not find the offending object which punctured your original tube. I can't count how many times I've been on rides where a rider got a flat, changed the tube and either was sure it was a pinch flat so they didn't check the tire for sharp objects, or did a very superficial finger swipe on the inside of the tire because they were too lazy to remove the tire completely, turn it inside out and do a thorough check for sharp object. More than once, I have found the object they missed.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Try to follow along CX:

My bad, I knew it was a question but didn't think it was directed to you. I mis-read and somehow thought Fredrico was the one that limped home. Reading comprehension fail.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    So why did you "limp" home? Was the new tube not holding air, did you not have a patch kit and were worried about another flat or couldn't you pump up the tire sufficiently to continue the ride? A prepared cyclist shouldn't need to cut short a ride and "limp home" because of a flat.
    Bingo. And he still hasn't explained the "limped home" statement except perhaps to argue obliquely that we're over-interpreting his words.