Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Srode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,080

    Narrow Tires with Wide Rims

    Would you have concerns running a 25mm clincher tire with a rim that has 23mm internal width? I have plenty of room for much larger tires on the frame, but not so sure about this tire and rim width working well together. Any performance anomalies to expect?
    Gravel Rocks

    Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,938
    According to DT Swiss, a 20mm internal width rim is as wide as you should go with a 25mm tire:

    https://dycteyr72g97f.cloudfront.net...WEB_ZZ_001.pdf
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Srode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,080
    Thanks, kind of what I thought - might be able to use a 32mm on the lower end, but not a typical road tire.
    Gravel Rocks

    Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,212
    If you're looking for a road tire in 32mm take a look at the Compass offerings, I've found them to be fast and good riding.
    Too old to ride plastic

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Srode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,080
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    If you're looking for a road tire in 32mm take a look at the Compass offerings, I've found them to be fast and good riding.
    Thanks, are you riding the standard or extra light? Looks like the tubeless options start at 35mm which might be a better option with the Extra Light versions.
    Gravel Rocks

    Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Thanks, are you riding the standard or extra light? Looks like the tubeless options start at 35mm which might be a better option with the Extra Light versions.
    I've been riding the standards, I'm afraid to try the ultralights as I'm sure that I wouldn't go back to the standards. Price conscience and all that.

    I'm running 42's and my wife has the 32's and we're both happy with them.
    Too old to ride plastic

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Srode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,080
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I've been riding the standards, I'm afraid to try the ultralights as I'm sure that I wouldn't go back to the standards. Price conscience and all that.

    I'm running 42's and my wife has the 32's and we're both happy with them.
    I've been shopping online - the Panaracer gravel king is half the price almost of the comparable Compass tires in standard casing - do you get your Compass tires direct from them? I can't find anyone else that sells them really.
    Gravel Rocks

    Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    I've been shopping online - the Panaracer gravel king is half the price almost of the comparable Compass tires in standard casing - do you get your Compass tires direct from them? I can't find anyone else that sells them really.
    I've bought them both ways, but mostly thru a shop. A shop owning friend of mine set up an account with Compass and I threw my business his way.

    I've never tried the Panaracer's so can't comment on how they ride. They have a protective belt so may be a bit stiffer than the Compass, with no belt, but that's just speculation on my part. I've heard no rap against the Gravel Kings, and if flat protection with a file thread is what is wanted, they may be just the ticket.
    But saying that I will also say that I have put about 16,200 miles on Compass 650bx42mm BSP tires and have only had one flat. I don't know how many tires that has been, but I did ride one for 8000miles, replacing it when I saw cord. That was 4000 miles on the front with the rest on the rear. It was actually about 20 miles short of the full 8000, and I pushed it as far as I dared, just to see what I could expect out of the tires thru their life. This was not the tire that I got the flat on.
    Too old to ride plastic

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    20,846
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    I've been shopping online - the Panaracer gravel king is half the price almost of the comparable Compass tires in standard casing - do you get your Compass tires direct from them? I can't find anyone else that sells them really.
    Recognize that the Compass tires were designed with easy rolling high compliance casings as the goal. Unlikely that the Panaracer rolls as well, but whether it is worth the extra cost is something only you can decide.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Srode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Recognize that the Compass tires were designed with easy rolling high compliance casings as the goal. Unlikely that the Panaracer rolls as well, but whether it is worth the extra cost is something only you can decide.
    Well, I'm going to try the Compass out in the 35mm tires and see how they roll. It would be fun to be able to keep up with the weekend roadie group ride using my gravel bike with somewhat fat tires. The Compass 38s get pretty heavy. So now it's a question of their light or standard in the 35's
    Gravel Rocks

    Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    267
    I run the 32mm gravelkings and I'd say they're ok.

    Additionally, fwiw, I have HED Jet6 black which have an internal width of 21mm and run 25s on them. HED recommends 23-58mm tires.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    692
    28mm GP4000SII are reported to be very wide on wider rims, maybe almost 32mm, perhaps even more on your wide rims.



    I have HED Ardennes+ wheels. they are 20.5 mm internal width, and are tubeless ready. The beads on my tubed, standard tires, GP4000SII, snap into place with a pop when first inflated after changing tires.

    I ran 23mm GP4000SII for a few years, and it worked great. They measured 26.5 mm on the 25mm outside width rims. Handling was fine.

    But 25mm GP4000SII are only 20 grams heavier, and they measure 29mm on these rims. So I've been using 25mm this year. I can drop the pressures to a 29/30mm equivalent, about 65-70 psi front, 80-85 psi rear. A very smooth ride, and it corners just as well.


    I'm a little more confident with tubeless rims for these narrow tires. When I got a flat, the beads stayed locked into the rim. I have no worries about beads pulling loose while riding.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Srode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,080
    I ended up getting a set of Compass Bon Jon 35mm tires with the extralite casing - I have to say I am impressed with the ride quality and how easy they roll. Inflated to 50psi they measure 37mm wired on the 23mm internal width rims.

    Comparing a couple of rides in similar conditions and speeds and average power output on the same route they do seem to be about the same as GP4000S II in rolling resistance. Pricey tires, about the same as the list price on the GP4000S II's but I'm very happy with them so far with a few hundred miles of use so far.
    Gravel Rocks

    Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,735
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    I ended up getting a set of Compass Bon Jon 35mm tires with the extralite casing - I have to say I am impressed with the ride quality and how easy they roll. Inflated to 50psi they measure 37mm wired on the 23mm internal width rims.

    Comparing a couple of rides in similar conditions and speeds and average power output on the same route they do seem to be about the same as GP4000S II in rolling resistance. Pricey tires, about the same as the list price on the GP4000S II's but I'm very happy with them so far with a few hundred miles of use so far.
    Any sense how tough the side walls are? I'm thinking they'd be great for rides that are a mix of asphalt and decent gravel roads but a little concerned about sharp rocks cutting sidewalls.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Srode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Any sense how tough the side walls are? I'm thinking they'd be great for rides that are a mix of asphalt and decent gravel roads but a little concerned about sharp rocks cutting sidewalls.
    Really depends on the type of Gravel I think - for packed gravel like on the Katy Trail, or rounded creek type gravel I think the extra lite version would be fine. For what you are describing I would use the regular version, not extra lite. Their regular sidewalls have done great in rolling resistance tests, pretty close to GP4000SII tires, the extra-lites haven't been tested yet. At some point I plan to do the Katy Trail nonstop from KC to St Louis and this extra lite version is the tire that will probably be on the bike for the ride because it's packed gravel.

    Thin sidewalls make me worry for sure, but I've run WTB Nano TCS on DK200 3 times now with no problems (knock on wood), and they have thin sidewalls too - enough so that they require sealant to keep air in them or they go flat in 24 hours often. For comparison, the Compass tires extra lite version went from 60psi to flat in about 3 hours without sealant. I'm running tubes in them for now since winter is coming up and I don't want to deal with dried up sealant when they sit idle in a month or so.
    Gravel Rocks

    Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Similar Threads

  1. 23 or 25mm tubulars tires on narrow rims
    By ChunkyMC in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2016, 07:40 PM
  2. rims....how wide is too wide?
    By toddre in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-19-2014, 09:27 AM
  3. What is a wide rim? 22-23mm wide? What rims?
    By aclinjury in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-07-2012, 03:59 PM
  4. Tires, how wide is too wide
    By Scott D in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-06-2011, 06:51 PM
  5. need help, chainstay narrow, ti frame, narrow tired
    By cavierider in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-19-2008, 08:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.