Need some opinions on this wheel build
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012

Need some opinions on this wheel build

I'm looking at getting a new wheelset to replace the stock on my z4 and have been looking around at most alloy wheelsets in the around 1500g range at $700 and under. So far I've had my eye on rol race sl, boyd vitesse, easton ea90 slx, ksyrium elites, shimano RS80. I am now considering the custom option as I'll likely get the same level of wheel but with a better hub than most of these. I built up a wheel on prowheelbuilder. Would this be a solid choice for a wheel that would compare to those listed above? Feel free to recommend anything and even change the build to make it better. If I end up going the custom route I'd get psimet to build it as he has a pretty good rep around most forums.

FRONT WHEEL SUMMARY
    Drillings
    Rim
    KINLIN XR300 FRONT 700C BLACK RIM $47.85
    700c/29er
    Hub
    WHITE INDUSTRIES T11 BLACK FRONT HUB
    QR 100mm
    Salsa Stainless Black Single + $22.00
    Spokes
    SAPIM CX RAY J BEND BLACK SPOKES $3.10
    Lacing Pattern
    Two Cross
    Nipples
    DT SWISS BLACK 14G 12MM BRASS NIPPLE $0.20
    Weight
    672.6 grams
    Price
    $265.85

REAR WHEEL SUMMARY
    Drillings
    Rim
    KINLIN XR300 REAR 700C BLACK RIM $47.85
    700c/29er
    Hub
    WHITE INDUSTRIES T11 BLACK REAR HUB $258.00
    QR 130mm
    *Ti Shimano/SRAM 8,9,10 or 11spd
    Salsa Stainless Black Single + $22.00
    Spokes
    SAPIM CX RAY J BEND BLACK SPOKES $3.10
    Lacing Pattern
    Two Cross
    Nipples
    DT SWISS BLACK 14G 12MM BRASS NIPPLE $0.20
    Weight
    849.72 grams
    Price
    $407.05

Total Price: $672.90
    Total Weight: 1,522.32 grams
    Last edited by Gharp23; 04-30-2013 at 08:47 AM.

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    You left out two pieces of info that are at least as important as anything you listed - your body weight and the terrain you ride (surface condition, hills or lack of).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    175lbs, road riding only, good road conditions mostly a few bumpy highway roads maybe, 75% flat, 25% hills , think texas. just an estimate.

grizzly moderator
    a few suggestions for you , listed in order of priority:

a. Consider doing 24f/28r in lieu of 20f/24r. The 300 rim is quite stiff, the 20 rays not quite so; you may not like the end result

b. If you chose the 300 for aero reasons maybe reconsider and look on the 270; neither of them will offer any magic on the aero department and the 270 is a more rounded rim for your weight. Your Z4 (Parlee Z4 I assume) I believe has too tight of a clearance for wide rims and 23 tires and no clearance for wide rims and 25 tires.

c. If you have a history of breaking spokes and your priority is more on durability maybe consider an upgrade on the hub in addition to maybe using beefier spokes on the rear DS. The T11 will built to a nice wheel, no doubt, but the Tnds is on the lower side than where it could be so it will be less resistive to applied high loads than others (however you will exceed your budget of $700 doing so).
    In addition, unless you really want the 11 speed compatability, you will do better (hub geometry wise as well as price) staying with the 10s hubs (if you roll Shimano). Discuss this with your wheelbuilder and see what he says..

d. Interview as many wheelbuilders as you can asking them to justify their suggestions with specifics offering more detail than "its a nice hub" or "its more aero"

Lastly, we do have several proffesional builders frequenting this forum. Maybe consider giving them a shot and include them in your list of prospects.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I had basically that wheel set built up for me a couple years ago. I went with the Kinlin 270 rims and 28 spokes (3 cross) in the back, 24 (radial) in the front. I probably should have done a 2 or 3 cross in the front. I weigh 200 lbs and these wheels have been flawless. The look beautiful too (I did all silver hubs/spokes/rims). It was a steel bike and the silver wheels really gave it a nice look. I paid around $670 to have it done by a nameless lurker on this website. I see they're using the Kinlin XC279 rims on the wheelset now. I'm guessing that these are the wider version -- and you probably want that (I would). The White Industries hubs are really nice. I think for the money, its a lot nicer wheel set than anything Shimano, Easton, Mavic, etc sells for that price point (or a few hundred bucks more). I've bought plenty of pre-built wheels in my life (starting with Mavic Heliums), and I don't think I ever will again.

If I were you. I'd opt for more spokes (28/24). It won't be much or a weight or aero penalty, but the wheel will be a lot stronger.

Online Wheel Builder
    I think the XR300 is a pretty "so so" rim. Its catchy in the crosswinds, and its ride quality isn't anything special. I think that the XC279 is superior in every way. It has a more versatile profile, and a bit better ride quality due to the 23mm width.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions. I probably should go with the 24/28 and the xr300 isn't a must really. I never considered the 300 not being a wider rim and that's what I'm looking for is the 23mm width. So I'll likely go with the xc279. I'm not stuck on that hub either so I'll look around some more.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharp23 View Post
    I'm not stuck on that hub either so I'll look around some more.
    You should be. It's a really simple, robust design. And they are friggin beautiful -- at least the silver ones I have are.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    If it were me, I would look at HED C2 laced to CK r45 with X-rays. 24/28

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    You're 175lbs (as I am). IMO you should go with a lighter rim than that 300 (a 27mm deep rim would be fine; it's what I'm using right now), 24/28 spokes and CX-Rays on all 4 sides will be fine too. Hub to choice (whatever turns you on or what you can afford.....consider DuraAce also, they would be my choice right now). Radial to 2x front (if the hub maker allows radial) and 3x rear.