Need tire for gravel and pavement
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2018

Need tire for gravel and pavement

Doing a gravel ride with pavement connectors. Have kenda kwickers 700/32. Is there a tire with better rolling resistance on pavement and good on gravel?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by coondogger View Post
    Doing a gravel ride with pavement connectors. Have kenda kwickers 700/32. Is there a tire with better rolling resistance on pavement and good on gravel?
    Compass tires are generally recognized as one of the best in wide tires. Not the cheapest, but high performance and low rolling resistance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Bontrager R3 TLR 32mm (tubleless)
    Compass Stampede Pass 32mm (these are not tubeless)
    Schwalbe G-One Speed 30mm (tubeless)

These are all great tires. The Bontrager is probably the most durable and long wearing. It's fairly new on the market and mounts up easily on my Hunt road disc wheels.

I had a couple of punctures on the Shwalbes, and none on the Compass. I just got my Bontragers a week or so ago.

They are all good mixed surface tires, but probably not well suited to mud or deep sand (get something with a slightly knobby tread for that).

For my preference, if I were running tubes, I'd go with the Compass (now called "http://ReneHersecycles.com").

If I want to go tubeless, or if the route had a high risk of punctures or tire cuts, I'd likely go with the Bontragers.

The Schwalbes are about $10 cheaper per tire, and are nearly on par with the Compass in terms of ride quality and rolling resistance (in my experience). I did have a couple of punctures on the Schwalbes, which is rare for me. It put a little doubt in my mind about the durability of them, but the sample size is small here.
    Last edited by Finx; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:23 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2018
    I picked up some Vittoria Torreno Zero G+ tires. they're 700-33 'tubeless ready' folders. A curse-fest to get on the bike, but they're made exactly for gravel/hardpack/pavement. I'll test them out this week before the big gravel ride. Lord hope I don't flat. They are truly miserable to stretch onto the bike.

[REDACTED]
    Think SMOOTH for speed.

Think WIDE for comfort.

Personally, I would choose a smooth tire around 36-38mm. There are a few good choices. Panaracer and Challenge make some good tires that fit this description and don't break the bank.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Russian Troll Farmer
    I've been riding Schwalbe "Big Apple" tires with good results on pavement, singletrack, and rail-trails. Mine are 50mm wide.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by coondogger View Post
    What constitutes "gravel" in your part of the world? Wet? Dry? hard packed? sandy? pea gravel? rails trails? fire roads?

There are tons of good tires for every occasion out there....but you need to know what that occasion is.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    What constitutes "gravel" in your part of the world? Wet? Dry? hard packed? sandy? pea gravel? rails trails? fire roads?

There are tons of good tires for every occasion out there....but you need to know what that occasion is.
    Exactly. Body weight and skill are also huge factors. Or should be.

When you get to the ride you'll probably see anything from 23mm race tires to Fat Bikes. People on the extremes might be clueless but most of them will be perfectly happy and that's because their weight and skill calls for different tires.

Definitely error on the side of big. The down side of tires too small can ruin the ride. Bigger than you need will just slow you down a little, maybe.

These are my go to gravel tires for typical New England gravel roads (which can be pretty bad depending on recent weather) mixed with asphalt: https://www.coloradocyclist.com/chal...almanzo-gravel

Up in Quebec, for example, where I also ride a lot the gravel roads are very well maintained and hard so just regular road race tires with decent sidewalls are fine. (vittoria Pave in my case).

In summary: Depends.