New Tires, Need Opinions
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011

New Tires, Need Opinions

Hi Guys,

I have used up the Specialized All Condition tires that came stock on my Allez Double road bike and am looking for new tires. To me although the Specialized tires have gotten bad reviews they served me well but my expectations are not very high for a low end tire and basically that is all I need. As I have gotten older comfort has become very important to me and I can't spending $100 each for some thin high zoot tire that rides like I have a rail up my rear. Although not perfect my All Condition tires were comfortable, had a nice ride, and lasted well.

I want a wider tire, 25mm for the comfort and although my All Conditions are marked as 23mm they are actually measured as 26mm (so much for truth in labeling . . .) and I want a 25mm tire again which confines me to the low end. I have ridden the Continental Ultra Sport and liked them and I am thinking about getting a set to replace my All Conditions but I wonder how they will ride compared to the All Conditions?

Does anyone have any opinions or experiences they would like to share? Thanks.

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    Life's too short not to ride the best tires (for me anyway) but "best" doesn't mean "most expensive" if shopping is done wisely. I use Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX 320TPI in 25mm width and get excellent use out of them and they are sooo comfy if inflated properly (about 85-90psi for my 170lbs). Others have great luck with another top tire - Conti 4000s. I get my Vittorias in bulk when a good sale comes on at a UK mailorder place - the last ones I got were at Ribble for.....$28 per tire! PBK also has good sales at times.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Life's too short not to ride the best tires (for me anyway) but "best" doesn't mean "most expensive" if shopping is done wisely. I use Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX 320TPI in 25mm width and get excellent use out of them and they are sooo comfy if inflated properly (about 85-90psi for my 170lbs). Others have great luck with another top tire - Conti 4000s. I get my Vittorias in bulk when a good sale comes on at a UK mailorder place - the last ones I got were at Ribble for.....$28 per tire! PBK also has good sales at times.
    +1 to everything Mike T wrote.

In addition to the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX (my favorite) I have had good performance/experience with Michelin Pro 4's 25mm width. I don't keep track of mileage so I can't really comment about wear but they are in the same neighborhood as the Open Corsa's. Like Mike T I found them for $29/tire some time ago at PBK.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    i woud go with the schwalbe Lugano they very fast and comfort tires...