New wheels

Thread: New wheels

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005

New wheels

I'm looking for new wheels that are light, but very strong. I'm a Clyde & my weight varies from 200-215#. I'm a very experienced rider, former cat 2, & do nothing but club riding now. Usually I ride 3-4,000 miles per year, & If it matters, I'm 76 years old. One thing I will absolutely insist on is a quiet rear hub. A couple of the guys I ride with have hubs that sound like a chainsaw.
    As Always, price is a consideration. I'm looking for something in the sub $550 range.
    Thanks in advance.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Ultegra hubs, 32 spoke H+Son Archetype rims

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    As Keith Bontrager said about bike components: strong, light and cheap — pick 2 out of the three.

Hand built wheels from a reputable builder is your best bet. With your budget and body weight, the wheels are not going to be light like sub 1500 grams unless you go for tubulars.

Something like a Shimano hubset (maybe DT Swiss) with an alloy rim (HED, Boyd) with 28h front and 32h rear.

Good builders like Eric Ergott and Pete Vecchio sometimes post here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Bikes
    "It's supposed to be hard...The hard is what makes it great."

changingleaf
    The Shimano hubs and DT Swiss hubs are the quietest pawl hubs. Onyx makes completely silent hubs, but they are pretty expensive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile View Post
    I'm looking for new wheels that are light, but very strong. I'm a Clyde & my weight varies from 200-215#. I'm a very experienced rider, former cat 2, & do nothing but club riding now. Usually I ride 3-4,000 miles per year, & If it matters, I'm 76 years old. One thing I will absolutely insist on is a quiet rear hub. A couple of the guys I ride with have hubs that sound like a chainsaw.
    As Always, price is a consideration. I'm looking for something in the sub $550 range.
    Thanks in advance.
    At your weight, light wheels are simply not going to be that durable. It's a tradeoff you will need to make. And it's relatively pointless because even an extra 200 grams of wheel weight is 0.2% change in total "system" weight (bike plus rider). That's 0.02 mph when climbing a 6% grade and 0.002 mph on the flats at 20 mph.

For a quiet freehub, heavier lube is nearly always the answer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    In your price range, Shimano hubs are going to be the quietest quality hubs you'll find. I agree with the other comments about wheel vs. rider weight.

I build my own wheels but, if I were in your situation, I would look at some of the offerings by Bike Wheel Warehouse here: Everyday Fitness The offer a number of wheels with Dura Ace and Ultegra hubs and good rim choices. Many are within your budget too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steelbikerider View Post
    Ultegra hubs, 32 spoke H+Son Archetype rims
    I have built up 1.5 sets with H+Son Archetypes, 24F, 28R and 32 rear (because of powertap hub) I am of similar weight, though not cat2. I feel I and rough on my wheels and these have not given me any problems, racing and training. built with Bitex hubs. I think these are great rims.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My weight fluctuates between 230 and 235lbs. During the past five years, I've gone through three rear wheels. The first was a cheap aluminum alloy wheel that came with the bike from the factory. The next two were middle-grade alloy. They too bit the dust.

Trek replaced the first two and when the third broke I upgraded to a better stronger carbon wheel.

I'm only a couple of months into the new wheels. They certainly ride smoother.

[REDACTED]
    If you want a quiet hub, you want Shimano (unless you want to spend big $$$ for Onyx or Stealth). DT Swiss hubs are not quiet. I've been behind riders with those and they sound like cicadas!

As Veloduffer quoted - Light, strong, cheap.....pick 2. And it's true. However, there are also compromises. You don't want to give up strong, but you can compromise between light and cheap.

I built up a pair of wheels a couple of years ago of:

DT Swiss R460 rims
    Shimano Dura-Ace 9000 hubs
    DT Swiss Aero Comp spokes - 24F/32R
    DT Swiss brass nipples

Cost of parts was in the $600-700 range. Those rims are a steal! Total weight comes in at around 1650g.

I recommend 32 spokes for a rear wheel at your weight and rider strength, no exceptions. You can do 24 spokes with a front wheel with rims brakes. If disc brakes, I would do 32 front and rear.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

What the what???
    Take a look at prowheelbuilder.com

I've had my last 4 sets of wheels built by them. Lots of options for rims, hubs, spokes and nipples and you can create different virtual builds to find the options that are right for your budget.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.