New wheels & tires. Tires r peeling of peeling off
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007

New wheels & tires. Tires r peeling of peeling off

I just bought some EA90 SLX's and some Continental 4000S ' s off the Bay.

I mounted them Thursday night. 2 minutes later, while the bike was sitting in the hallway, the REAR tire dislodged itself and the tube exploded. I figured it was an installation error on my part.

Their first ride was this morning, and after 24 miles with 1 block to go to the finish, I felt a rubbing on my brakes and within 100 yards the FRONT tire had come off the rim. Luckily I wasn't going 25 mph, because it jammed into my brake.

I walked the rest of the way to the shop and as I'm showing some of the guys what happened, the tube exploded, deafening everyone.

SO.........Bad tires? Bad wheels? Bad installation on TWO wheels? It seems kinda odd to have that happen on two wheels.

I'm waiting for noon to get here, so I can take it to the shop. Its got me worried about what could happen to me down the road - literally and figuratively.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007

It was operator error

The mechanic said that by me using a tire tool to get the tire on I probably pulled the tube in between the tire and the rim, which kept it from seating properly.

I knew better then to use the tool, but its so friggin hard to get those things on. He showed me how to do it correctly so we'll see.

72 degrees in sunny Houston and its off to the trails!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by brentster
    The mechanic said that by me using a tire tool to get the tire on I probably pulled the tube in between the tire and the rim, which kept it from seating properly.
    9 times out of 10, or maybe 99 times out of 100, this kind of blowout is due to installation problems. It's not so much using a tire lever during installation, as it is making sure that the tube is not caught under the tire bead before you inflate the tire. You can have this problem doing it by hand as well, so you always need to work your way around the tire to make sure that the tube is fully inside the tire. Putting a little air in the tube before you tuck it into the tire is helpful, but the final hand check is really important to prevent this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Yup... could be that the rim tape is getting in the way of the bead also.