Noob needs road wheels

Jun 2004

Noob needs road wheels

After digging through the threads here and talking with two LBS, I gotta admit, I'm a bit confused. Here's my story.

I currently ride a pair of Rolf Vectors that came with my bike. The wheels seemed like a good idea at the time, but they seem to flex too much under my 205# load. In fact, the front wheel flexes so much that it hits the brake. Pretty frustrating to stomp on the pedal only to find the brakes on. One LBS let me try another wheel with 2x construction. Stiffer, no problems. OK, time to spring for some new wheels. Been thinking about getting Mavic OP, Ultegra hub 28h/32h, 2x/3x lacing, DT spokes, brass nipples, velox tape, hand built.

My understanding is that Ultegra hubs are not sealed bearing. What kind of maintenance will I need to do with them? Are there other hubs I should consider that would reduce the maintenance? While I'd like to keep the price down, I'd consider something more expensive with higher quality and less maintenance.

Are there other wheels I should consider? Lots of wheelsets have radial lacing, and that seems like a bad choice for me.

I'd welcome your suggestions. The local LBS's seem more interested in unloading old wheelsets than taking a hard look at my needs.

Jul 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill-99
    After digging through the threads here and talking with two LBS, I gotta admit, I'm a bit confused. Here's my story.

I currently ride a pair of Rolf Vectors that came with my bike. The wheels seemed like a good idea at the time, but they seem to flex too much under my 205# load. In fact, the front wheel flexes so much that it hits the brake. Pretty frustrating to stomp on the pedal only to find the brakes on. One LBS let me try another wheel with 2x construction. Stiffer, no problems. OK, time to spring for some new wheels. Been thinking about getting Mavic
    My understanding is that Ultegra hubs are not sealed bearing. What kind of maintenance will I need to do with them? Are there other hubs I should consider that would reduce the maintenance? While I'd like to keep the price down, I'd consider something more expensive with higher quality and less maintenance.

Are there other wheels I should consider? Lots of wheelsets have radial lacing, and that seems like a bad choice for me.

I'd welcome your suggestions. The local LBS's seem more interested in unloading old wheelsets than taking a hard look at my needs.
    Maintenance depends in large part on how much you ride and where you ride. If you're a serious racer riding in Seattle, you'll have to clean and regrease the bearrings more often than if you are a weekend warrior who rides in Tucson.
    I was a racer in Tucson putting in 7-9k miles/year and I only regreased the hubs once a year. They didn't even really need it. The grease was still good, but as long as I had them disassembled, I went ahead and did it.
    On average, you'd only have to regrease the bearings once a year. It's cheap and simple. All you need is mineral spirits, a small brush, a pair of cone wrenches (13mm I think) and a tube of grease.
    Ultegra hubs do have rubber seals on them to keep dirt and water out. Handbuilt Ultegras and Open Pros are indisputably the smart choice. Replacement parts cost pennies, and barring a crash, handbuilt wheels rarely need repair.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001

Front wheel

At 205lbs, I would suggest going 32H upfront as well. Weight difference is not that much compared to 28H, and you get a much stiffer setup.

flinty-eyed moderator

Quote Originally Posted by edmundtan
    At 205lbs, I would suggest going 32H upfront as well. Weight difference is not that much compared to 28H, and you get a much stiffer setup.
    I agree. You should be looking at a set of handbuilt wheels, 32 holes front and rear built 3X. Use a good quality butted spoke. Open Pros are nice, but a semi-aero rim like a Velocity Aerohead might be stronger.

Give this guy a call, as he has a very good reputation in this forum:

http://www.oddsandendos.com/

Look at something like this:

http://oddsandendos.safeshopper.com/2/100.htm?731

Enjoy- new wheels are fun!

Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Jun 2004
    32h front and rear with 3x lacing sounds like it should easily hold up to my weight. The Aerohead rims are an interesting idea. I'll check them out. Thanks for the advice and links!

-Bill

Jun 2004
    Thanks for the suggestion. 32h it is!