Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

One more reason to stay away from Mavic??

3K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  thisisthebeave 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I'm thinking '2 sides to every story' here. Especially the part where he says "and my front wheel hit another pot hole. He never says his rear wheel hit one...it would be very hard for the rear to impact a pot hole at that speed and not have the front hit the same hole. Did that happen and the first impact damage the front wheel and the second pot hole finish it off? My feelings about Mavic product in general are well known but this may have happened w/ any carbon wheel, hard to say.

#3 ·
I'm thinking '2 sides to every story' here.
I thought there were 3. :D

Especially the part where he says "and my front wheel hit another pot hole. He never says his rear wheel hit one...it would be very hard for the rear to impact a pot hole at that speed and not have the front hit the same hole. Did that happen and the first impact damage the front wheel and the second pot hole finish it off? My feelings about Mavic product in general are well known but this may have happened w/ any carbon wheel, hard to say.
That's what I was thinking, but I just couldn't resist another jab at Mavic. :D I've never been sold on carbon rims. There are just so many good quality lightweight alloy rims at a fraction of the price, it's just not worth it IMHO.

And I may have opened up another can of worms here, but just to be ahead of the possible replies, no, just no to Chinese no-name carbon rims.

#6 ·
For road use you can have a rim that's much more aero and the same weight. Add stiffer, and I'll add stronger to a degree. From a wheel builders view point they are more accurate...more 'round'. Aluminum rims are much more easily damaged in shipping and handling so you start off w/ rims that are slightly less 'round'.

#7 ·
I hadn't thought of the aero thing, but you're right about that. But since I don't race, I'm not terribly concerned about aero.

And I guess if you build lots of wheels, having one damaged in shipping and being warped happens. I have 5 wheelsets I've build and never come across a rim not round and true out of the box. But I don't build ridiculously light wheels either.

#12 ·
Wayyyyyy before 1995. They made the first aluminum rims in the 30's. The SSC was the go-to tubular rim for pro and amateur racers throughout the 70's and into the 80's. Millions of wheels were built w/ Mavic rims for decades. The double eyelet Open Pro is probably the most used rim of all time. 32 spoke, 3x, Shimano hubs...295/293 rear, 295 front. I built a TON of those.

#10 ·
In the video, it doesn't look like much, but consider he WAS barreling down at 45mph.

#13 ·
Disc Brakes rock!

#14 ·
I'm sure CXWrench can give us some examples where disc brakes overheated and failed on long downhills.

#32 ·
I've always thought Mavic made junky products after a pair of shoes I had from them started to fall apart after 3 months of riding.

I'm 230lbs and ride a 1400g wheelset on easy singletrack on my gravel bike and have hit gopher holes so hard my hands instantly went numb and didn't even knock them out of true. Mavic wheels shouldn't explode from a pothole. Granted I'm on 45mm (front) and 40mm (rear) tires to cushion the blows...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.