painting stainles spokes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009

painting stainles spokes

So I have seen a few wheels lately with white spokes, and I think it looks way cool.

I already ordered my spokes though, so I am considering painting them my self. They are DT Swiss double butted stainless. Is there a certain paint that will stick to stainless better? Self etching maybe?

I think I have it figured out how I would paint them, just not sure with what paint. I figured, I could mask off the threads, and drill holes in a 2x4.

I am not worried about the added weight, and these wheels are not going to see much use or abuse, if that makes a difference.

What are your opinions?

9er
    RoadBikeReview Member
    White spokes are cool. My rear wheel, where they cross gets noisy at times. Weird.
    Good luck and prep the heck out of those things.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've never done something like spokes, as with any paint project, it's always proper prep (etching metal primer, etc) & the details that matter. I'd use a durable paint (epoxy maybe, or marine topside paint), many light coats if spraying, etc.
    It might be worth seeing if a local powder coater would do them in a batch with something else that is white.

RoadBikeReview Member
    painting spokes sounds like a huge PITA.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    i'd worry about flex in the spokes causing paint to flake. you'd need the right primer. road debris will probably chip the paint eventually too.

i would think powdercoating would be more durable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Whatever method you choose, it's gonna end up looking like crap as a DIY project.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    painting spokes sounds like a huge PITA.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by natedg200202 View Post
    Whatever method you choose, it's gonna end up looking like crap as a DIY project.
    And this.

Sorry to be negative, but I can't see this turning out too well. I recently tried to build a wheel using white Sapim CX-Ray spokes and it was frustrating as hell. On some of the spokes, the paint chipped at the bend from the pressure exerted by the hub. On other spokes the paint cracked along the length of the spoke due to the linear deflection (elongation) during tensioning. And on most of them, the paint chipped near the nipple as a result of my trying to hold the bladed section of the spoke as I turned the nipple. And I tried a lot of methods to avoid this but none worked. It was a mess.

I suppose you could paint the spokes after the wheel is already built, but that presents it's own set of challenges.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    And what's your basis for this?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    #

I agree.it will look crap, and if by some miracle it doesn't.It wont be long before it does.
    Litespeed Icon
    Ultegra SL
    Dura Ace Crank
    Mavic Ksyrium Elite 2013 WTS 2013
    Mavic CXP33 Ultegra
    Mavic Open Pro Dura Ace

Bianchi Sempre
    Ultegra
    SLK Carbon Crank
    Deda bars and stem
    Mavic Ksyrium Elite WTS 2013

Re-Cyclist
    Sounds like a cool look but impractical. You would need to bead blast and primer first and then use a paint that can be baked to cure hard. Perhaps an epoxy type of coating That still won't guarantee no chipping. A professional industrial painter/plater can do it right for about $250 to 300.

You have to REALLY want it.
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Plus for the rear wheel you will lose paint where the spokes cross, especially as you tension them.

Then again, you could build the wheel then spray-paint it then...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have to agree that it would look cool but also agree that it won't last very long and will look even worse once they start chipping. Once that happens water will get in behind the finish and accelerate the process.
    I have another idea to suggest.
    Go to an electrical outlet type store that sells to electricians and see if you can find length of white shrink-wrap that is small in diameter.
    Then sleeve each spoke and heat to shrink tight. Heck; why not go with a rainbow of colours?
    Better than using straws ;-).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjohn64 View Post
    I have to agree that it would look cool but also agree that it won't last very long and will look even worse once they start chipping. Once that happens water will get in behind the finish and accelerate the process.
    I have another idea to suggest.
    Go to an electrical outlet type store that sells to electricians and see if you can find length of white shrink-wrap that is small in diameter.
    Then sleeve each spoke and heat to shrink tight. Heck; why not go with a rainbow of colours?
    Better than using straws ;-).
    that's not a bad idea, actually.

the pro-version of this would be to take it to someone that does vinyl wraps.

but it really would just be easier to buy white spokes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Build the wheel, buy a can of white spray paint, spin and spray!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    If you want to do it right, use this first:

BulldogŪ

followed by this:

Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Rubber Dip Coating

will give a chip free finish with minimum cost and hassle.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Plasti Dip. Much more durable than paint. Easy to apply.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Plasti Dip. Much more durable than paint. Easy to apply.

fail...that stuff is seriously thick and is not easy to apply in a precise manner.

using it on spokes will make them look like crap...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Life experience and common sense.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Life experience and common sense.
    Well some people are better at DIY projects than others. There's no reason you can't paint spokes yourself just as well as from the factory. Painting isn't rocket science. But proper preparation is key.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    fail...that stuff is seriously thick and is not easy to apply in a precise manner.
    If it's seriously thick, you're doing it wrong. It can be thinned with thinners if necessary. It should be applied at 6 - 8 mills per dip (.006"-.008") Recommended coating thickness is 12 -15 mils (.012"-.015"). That's not very thick.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If it's seriously thick, you're doing it wrong. It can be thinned with thinners if necessary. It should be applied at 6 - 8 mills per dip (.006"-.008") Recommended coating thickness is 12 -15 mils (.012"-.015"). That's not very thick.
    I've used the stuff before and it's exactly as I described it in a previous post.

it's probably the last substance on Earth I would apply to a bicycle wheel spoke.

ymmv.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Well some people are better at DIY projects than others. There's no reason you can't paint spokes yourself just as well as from the factory. Painting isn't rocket science. But proper preparation is key.
    with the required materials and equipment to apply them as well as some level of expertise, it really would just be easier to buy white spokes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    I've used the stuff before and it's exactly as I described it in a previous post.

it's probably the last substance on Earth I would apply to a bicycle wheel spoke.

ymmv.
    Use the rattle can version.

RoadBikeReview Member
    as a DIY project, this is way more work than it's worth....
    Last edited by Oxtox; 05-18-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Uber Clyde
    Even if you were to get the spokes to look good, I don't see the paint holding up well.
    Especially through the lacing process.
    It seems like they would get scratched up lacing them through the hub and bending them around eachother.
    I would just drop the extra $$ on new white spokes if you really want them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast