Panaracer GK SK 40mm question-problem
    mosinglespeeder
    Jun 2009

Panaracer GK SK 40mm question-problem

Hey guys, i have a question, not to be a newbie here but I feel like it after wrestling these new Panaracer GK 40mm tires.* Here is my issue, I mounted them w/tubes first just to see how they would roll out before going tubeless and noticed immediately a big stinking lump/bump/thump spinning her in the stand.* No biggie I thought, put the other in and same darn thing, now up front and back.* They had both been in the shed w/the bike over winter and i thought no biggie again, its stiff, it'll roll out, and deflated them down, massaged them out and really didn't find any problems or where they didn't hook up or anything wrong..so being optimistic, no biggie, will just ride out easy and it'll smooth out.

only one problem, it didn't.**it was rough, lumpy and bumpy...like seriously and i had to back off and soft pedal home and couldn't go more than 20mph without a serious hop...so...no good.

So i started thinking, and couldn't think of anything.* Changed tubes to be sure they weren't disproportionately displacing pressure or anything...nothing

no change

so after dickin around with these things, I see the bulges and lumps are in vertical seams on the tires, but am unsure of what to do.* Do you guys think a warm day in sun will help work it out or should i get another pair and send these in to replace??**

Any ideas???
    thanks a mil ahead of time, i need help
    dano

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    What are all of these *** for? Were the ** tires folded during the *** winter? If so let them warm up and see what happens. **$&%@@
    #promechaniclife

mosinglespeeder
    Jun 2009
    yes cxwrench...what the @@??

I didn't put that in there, must have been some rank virus...

sorry, but will try that, thanks
    they were cold all winter in shed, I think stiff and will see if it mounts up better and seats in, I think it's not seating in the bead

thx on that, sorry for the ^^^ extras

RoadBikeReview Member
    should be able to see it if they are seated on the bead. If they aren't, try breaking them down again and put a generous slathering of dishsoap on the tire bead.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

Banned Sock Puppet
    Check the bead seams carefully. If they are not straight around the rim, it's a mounting error where tires aren't properly seated. Could be potentially hazardous.
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

mosinglespeeder
    Jun 2009
    well that was it, the bead wasn't seated in. I think it was a combo of tubeless beefy SK side walls and being folded over the winter, and cold temps in the shed, after I worked with it over night, pumped up to 60psi and put in the window w/70 degree sun, she popped on and is perfect.

thanks for the help guys!
    dano

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mosinglespeeder View Post
    well that was it, the bead wasn't seated in. I think it was a combo of tubeless beefy SK side walls and being folded over the winter, and cold temps in the shed, after I worked with it over night, pumped up to 60psi and put in the window w/70 degree sun, she popped on and is perfect.

thanks for the help guys!
    The absolute very first thing to do with a lumpy tire is simply look at it to see what is going on. I would hazard a guess that 95% of the time it is due to the tire not being properly seated on the rim, which is painfully obvious when you slowly rotate the wheel while looking at where the tire meets the rim.