Real thru axle vs QR convertor
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2019

Real thru axle vs QR convertor

I'm planning on building some wheels and am looking at the options. My frame is made for QR and is currently running 9/10mm thru axles which I think feel better than the original QR (could be psychological purchase justification...) The problem is 9/10mm thru hubs are rare, and the most common Shimano ones the freehub is prone to cracking. The other option is Hope but I can only find them with an alloy freehub which I'll chew up...

Looking at 12mm to QR convertor axles they are going to be machined so surely they will be solid with a 5mm hole through the middle and nearly as stiff as a real axle, especially with the skewer filling the hole? But if they are why wouldn't at least some hub manufacturers just use a solid middle on their QR hubs? Maybe they do and I missed it?!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Hope has a steel freehub option.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Like you, I've used adapters on a couple of bikes to run through axles in QR frames and forks. From here FWIW https://www.ebay.com/str/mtbtools?_t...p2047675.l2563

Unless the rear end of your bikes is spindly, or you're a monster sprinter, I don't think it's all that necessary on the back even with discs. On a disc fork, sure you can really notice the difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch562 View Post
    Hope has a steel freehub option.
    That they do, I found a place that will sell me a steel/10mm/135mm but it won't ship for a couple of weeks. The only other option is to buy an alloy/10mm/135mm and a steel freehub but that's expensive (nowhere has the 10mm adaptor and the hub)

Quote Originally Posted by harryman View Post
    Like you, I've used adapters on a couple of bikes to run through axles in QR frames and forks. From here FWIW https://www.ebay.com/str/mtbtools?_t...p2047675.l2563

Unless the rear end of your bikes is spindly, or you're a monster sprinter, I don't think it's all that necessary on the back even with discs. On a disc fork, sure you can really notice the difference.
    Actually I haven't used any adaptors but did see those - tempting apart from the import tax/fees which will cost nearly as much as the adaptor.

I'm already not enjoying this wheelbuilding lark and I'm yet to start!