Real world wish list wheels - what would you recommend?
    Well-read hooligan

Real world wish list wheels - what would you recommend?

I am about to get my new frame (Land Shark!) and want some great new wheels to go with them. My current ride (Colnago MXL) has chorus hubs, Mavic reflex CD rims, double butted spokes (14/15), tufo elite road tires. All campy drivetrain. Wheels feel good, predictable, reliable. I weigh 175#, am a strong club rider (read: raced in college, but not since), and put approx 200-225 miles a week year round on decent roads.

the question is: what would you buy? Manufactured or hand built? Why? Want to budget under $800 unless there is a persuasive reason to go over (gotta survive the cost benefit analysis). Yeah, I am one of the guys who can tell the difference between clinchers and tubies so if you don't have experience with them pls wait until I am shopping for a set of clincers later this summer I'll ask ya (no offense intended). Keeping current wheelset as well, so should I buy anything new at all? Lemme know!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Perhaps the most discussed question

The only way you'll get significant performance improvement over your current wheels is to go high end, deep section, tubular tire, CF rims w/low spoke count. You may be able to find something at $800, though unless you are doing a lot of time trialing or crit racing, it seems a lot of money (to me) to spend to gain 3-4 minutes over 100 miles of solo riding. Some really like Zipp and Hed in this category, while others complain of quality problems. You might get the best cost/benefit from finding something used. Glad to hear that you can tell the difference btw clinchers and tubulars - Erik Zabel claims he can't. It sounds like (not completely clear) you have already decided on tubulars.

Jul 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilGilligan
    I am about to get my new frame (Land Shark!) and want some great new wheels to go with them. My current ride (Colnago MXL) has chorus hubs, Mavic reflex CD rims, double butted spokes (14/15), tufo elite road tires. All campy drivetrain. Wheels feel good, predictable, reliable. I weigh 175#, am a strong club rider (read: raced in college, but not since), and put approx 200-225 miles a week year round on decent roads.

the question is: what would you buy? Manufactured or hand built? Why? Want to budget under $800 unless there is a persuasive reason to go over (gotta survive the cost benefit analysis). Yeah, I am one of the guys who can tell the difference between clinchers and tubies so if you don't have experience with them pls wait until I am shopping for a set of clincers later this summer I'll ask ya (no offense intended). Keeping current wheelset as well, so should I buy anything new at all? Lemme know!
    I'll give you the best reason to get new wheels. Spares. You didn't mention whether you had a full second set of wheels. With the mileage you put in, it's a smart investment. Handbuilders can give you guarantees that match or beat anything the mass manufacturers offer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilGilligan

No, you should not buy anything new. Your set is very good.