Relationship btw. spoke tension and rim circumference
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018

Relationship btw. spoke tension and rim circumference

I recently decided to resurrect an old rear wheel that I had stored away.
    I trued it up and lubed the bearings. Then I tried to put a brand new Continental tire (700C) on the wheel. It wouldn't fit, acted like the wheel was too big, no matter what I did. So I thought, maybe I need to increase the spoke tension. I also ordered a spoke tensiometer. Can it be that having the spokes at proper tension is necessary before you can get a tire on a rim? I wouldn't have expected this, but is it the case? I know people say getting Continental tires on rims can be rather difficult anyway. Everything I'm working with here is 700C, I know that. Anybody have experience with this? Could increasing the spoke tension help with getting this tire to fit over the rim? I've only ever built one wheel and it was a front wheel. In that case I needed to borrow a spoke tensioning tool from my LBS. Thanks...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    The answer is no.

My experience has been that older rims did not have the tolerances to result in easy mounting with newer tires.

For example; I rebuilt a front wheel in haste with an old Mavic MA-40 clincher rim. Compared to the 3 other wheels I have with more modern rims, the MA-40 is definitely more difficult to install/remove tires.

It's easier to build a time machine and go back in time to buy some older tires to match the rim. ;-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018

Thank you, Peter P. ...

Indeed, the rim I am trying to use is a Mavic MA-40. Thing is, I've gotten it to accept many tires in the past. Mostly these were SERFAS SECA brand wire bead road tires that I buy at REI. Do you think I should ask my LBS to mount the Continental tire for me, or is the task impossible? Can't go back in time, obviously. Or, is there a tool I don't know about that I could use for this job? Just wondering...

Banned Sock Puppet
    Nope.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Thanks - totally awesome...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallsey View Post
    Indeed, the rim I am trying to use is a Mavic MA-40. Thing is, I've gotten it to accept many tires in the past. Mostly these were SERFAS SECA brand wire bead road tires that I buy at REI. Do you think I should ask my LBS to mount the Continental tire for me, or is the task impossible? Can't go back in time, obviously. Or, is there a tool I don't know about that I could use for this job? Just wondering...
    On my MA-40's, I'm running Kevlar beaded tires which typically are harder to mount than wire beaded tires. Sounds like our problem is unique to MA-40's.

Don't have the LBS mount the tires. You'll eventually have to remove the tires to repair flats and so on, so you might as well get used to it.

Besides the Kool Stop Tire Jack, VAR makes a tire tool I've used with great success. Hard to find, but ask your shop to order it.

Crank Bros. has a version. I used an older version with a different design, which worked reasonably well.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Newsflash to newbie: Continental tires ALWAYS go on tight. No matter the size, width, or tread type, they always feel like they are about 2mm too small. Cheap tires like Serfas always go on easily. I assume that you are actually using tire irons to mount the tire?

Spoke tension will do absolutely NOTHING for rim diameter. If you just go out there and add tension to all your spokes, you'll end up ruining the rim by over-tensioning the spokes until they start breaking the rim.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    On my MA-40's, I'm running Kevlar beaded tires which typically are harder to mount than wire beaded tires. Sounds like our problem is unique to MA-40's.

Don't have the LBS mount the tires. You'll eventually have to remove the tires to repair flats and so on, so you might as well get used to it.

Besides the Kool Stop Tire Jack, VAR makes a tire tool I've used with great success. Hard to find, but ask your shop to order it.

Crank Bros. has a version. I used an older version with a different design, which worked reasonably well.
    I've also got the VAR lever, and while it works, it isn't as robust as the Kool Stop. It's compact size makes it carriable while on the bike tho.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Thanks - I wasn't going to over-tighten things, but that's a good warning.
    After I heard about the Crank Bros. tool, I watched it used on a youtube video. I hope I can get one of these tools to work. The Park Tool TL-10, no longer available, is something I'd also like to try. But so far, I can't even get the first bead of the tire onto the rim, never mind the second. The Mavic MA-40 lacks the deep center groove that's present on some rims, and that just makes things harder. Anyway, I'll wait for a tool assist. Ordered a Kool Stop Tire Jack to start with.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Why don't you get some good tires that fit?
    It would be easier.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Newsflash to newbie: Continental tires ALWAYS go on tight. No matter the size, width, or tread type, they always feel like they are about 2mm too small.
    I've been using Conti GP XXXX tires on Velocity rims for a couple decades with zero fit issues. I can always remove the tires bare handed (no need for tire levers) and can install them the same way. YMMV