Removing stubborn tire bead....................
    [REDACTED]

Removing stubborn tire bead....................

Well, I'm trying to remove a WTB Byway tire from a WTB KOM rim. The bead is locked onto the rim and nothing seems to unseat it. I tried all my hand strength and plastic levers. I even tried the method of standing with each foot on the outside of the tire and pulling up on the spokes. It won't budge - NOTHING! I'm using tubes, so there is no sealant.

I'm about to resort to a metal screwdriver or a vise. If I ever get a flat on the road or trail with this thing, I'm screwed!

Are there any secrets I'm missing?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've had to use a large C-Clamp before on a motorcycle tire, it worked there should on a bike tire too.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Maybe a little heat from a blow dryer ?

Or alternatively an ice water bath?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Too old to ride plastic

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I've used this very knife to cut tires off rims. It's razor sharp and does the job wonderfully. If that fails I'll get it w/ the 1911.

I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I've used this very knife to cut tires off rims. It's razor sharp and does the job wonderfully. If that fails I'll get it w/ the 1911.

Nice Commander.
    Too old to ride plastic

[REDACTED]

Yikes! So in other words, if I get a flat out on the road or trails, I'm farked? Who the f*** thought this tubeless s#!t was a good idea???
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

[REDACTED]
    I have the Park Tool tire seater which I tried, but to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Nice Commander.
    Thanks, I love it. Put the grips and a main spring housing on, and installed the trigger...which was much more work but way more rewarding then just popping a trigger in an AR. I love the way it shoots. I need a Government at some point, just can't make up my mind what I want to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Yikes! So in other words, if I get a flat out on the road or trails, I'm farked? Who the f*** thought this tubeless s#!t was a good idea???
    I did for a minute. It's the only way to go on a mtb. I'll never do it again on the road.

[REDACTED]
    I did for a minute. It's the only way to go on a mtb. I'll never do it again on the road.
    Even on a mtb, if you get a flat in the woods, you will be hoofing it back if you can't get the tire off the rim.

And even if you don't go tubeless (as I didn't), you still have to deal with the tubeless rim-tire combo as you can't buy anything else now. Not all are as bad as the WTB combo. Not sure if different tires or different rims would solve the problem. I would hate to not be able to use the wheels I built.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks, I love it. Put the grips and a main spring housing on, and installed the trigger...which was much more work but way more rewarding then just popping a trigger in an AR. I love the way it shoots. I need a Government at some point, just can't make up my mind what I want to get.
    They're a bit pricey but the Les Baer govt has always caught my eye.
    Too old to ride plastic

They're a bit pricey but the Les Baer govt has always caught my eye.
    Those are very nice. I'm thinking maybe a Springfield Loaded 1911, just not sure which one. Or maybe another Colt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    At home, possibly use an air compressor with either the ball inflation needle or the rubber tipped cone attachment between the rim and tire bead depending on which one you can get in there?

Similar process also works fairly well to install/remove stubborn push on MTB handlebar grips.

[REDACTED]
    Well I found someone with stronger hands and they were able to push the bead off the hook. I also changed the tape from Velox (yeah, yeah, I know this is the "wrong" tape) and replaced it with Stan's. My thinking was maybe the thicker Velox tape was part of the problem. Aired up the tire to seat it, then out of curiosity, deflated it and tried to unseat the tire again, but to no avail.

I decided to wing it and do a ride with a few friends. I figure I'm safe in numbers - one of us should be able to unseat this freaken thing if I get a flat. I would never ride these wheels alone though.

I'm going to try Panaracer's Gravel Kings and see if those are any better. Oh wait, I would have to get those tires off the rims in order to change those.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Those are very nice. I'm thinking maybe a Springfield Loaded 1911, just not sure which one. Or maybe another Colt.
    Is Wheels and Tires the right forum for weapon discussion?

Nice Commander.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogus View Post
    Funny guy, you really got me w/ that one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Funny guy, you really got me w/ that one.
    Don't take a joke to a gun fight!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Try pumping them to like 130 PSI when not in use.

I'm having trouble picturing what exactly this is: "The bead is locked onto the rim and nothing seems to unseat it."

I've never used tubless so it might be a different 'thing' but I've definitely had success losing up 'normal' tires that are hard to get on/off by over inflating them for a few days when I'm not riding them.

I've gotten into the habit of putting tires on a spare wheel and inflating the fck out of them when I get them so I know they will be easy(er) to use when I need to use them for real.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Try pumping them to like 130 PSI when not in use.
    Ha! Well considering these are 47mm tires, 130 PSI would probably get them off the rims, but I should wear my ear protection!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I'm having trouble picturing what exactly this is: "The bead is locked onto the rim and nothing seems to unseat it."

I've never used tubless so it might be a different 'thing' but I've definitely had success losing up 'normal' tires that are hard to get on/off by over inflating them for a few days when I'm not riding them.

I've gotten into the habit of putting tires on a spare wheel and inflating the fck out of them when I get them so I know they will be easy(er) to use when I need to use them for real.
    I'm not running anything tubeless, but if you have bought any recent mountain bike wheels or tires, they are most likely tubeless compatible, which means they seat really tight. Trust me, the bead is locked on the rim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogus View Post
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Rogus again."
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett