Rim damage from a nail puncture.
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015

Rim damage from a nail puncture.

I was just sent a message from my son, regarding an incident on his first ride in the state of Texas. He ran over a nail, and not only did it puncture the tire/tube, it became lodged in the rim. So lodged, that he could not extract it with his hands. I do not have access to the wheel, as he is in Texas and I am in Illinois.

The bike is a Trek Emonda SL5disc. The wheel, as far as I can tell, is a Bontrager Paradigm alloy.

Any ideas on what type of damage to expect from something like this. Just looking for collective experience here. Can this wheel be salvaged, or is it toast?

Jim D

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    It's not unheard of. It does happen. Most likely it's toast. Maybe... if it's a small nail and only into the spoke bed, it might be salvageable. If it's through the side of the rim, definitely toast.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    post a pic.

but things don't sound good! However, if it's any consolation, replacing aluminum rim or wheel is cheaper than replacing carbon. Maybe be cheaper to just buy another aluminum rim (with same spoke count) and lace it back into the hub.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    I do not have pics to post, but from what I can tell so far, I am not sure it is sticking right through the rim, as pictured above. When I get more information from my son, I will update..............

RoadBikeReview Member
    I hit a deck screw that pierced the tire, tube, and floor of a DA C24 rim. required pliers to remove it.

simply made a boot from some stiff cardboard to cover the hole in the rim and have put 15K miles on it with no issues.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    . . simply made a boot from some stiff cardboard to cover the hole in the rim and have put 15K miles on it with no issues.
    Well done Mr. Macgyver! To the OP, Id shop a new rim.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    It's a hole, no big deal. There are at least 40-48 other holes in the rim. While they're supposed to be there by design, a couple more aren't going to hurt anything if it's an alloy rim.
    The very first pair of tubeless wheels I built for myself years ago got a roofing nail through the inner and outer walls of the rim about 3 weeks in. I repaired the tubeless tape and rode them till I got sick of them about 2 years later. OP said 'tire & tube' so fix the rim tape and ride 'em. There is absolutely NO reason to replace the wheel.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    cxwrench,

This is good to hear. I hope to have an update soon. Wish I was in control of this incident. My son and the wheel are in Texas, I am in Illinois..........

Jim D

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    UPDATE: My son just texted me. A bit of gorilla tape inside the rim, a new tube, and away we go! No new rim. Thanks cxwrench and others for the feedback.

Jim D

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I was going to give a similar reply as cxwrench based on the experience a friend had with a set of wheels I built for him using Kinlin 31T rims. First ride he took, he buried a roofing nail into the inner wall of the rim. Luckily, he could remove it on the road, used a Gu pack to cover the hole till he got home. Once home, he covered the hole with some of the rim tape I had bought and used. That was 3 years and many thousands of miles ago. Still going strong.

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I also had a a Kinlin 31 rim that I a screw went through. It went completely through the rim bed and put a dent in the inside of the rim. I just taped it up and rode it that way for 3 years without any problems.