Rim Strips
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rim Strips

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Rim Strips

Just wondering if anyone prefers either Velox tape or the Zipp or Conti plastic rim strips

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Just wondering if anyone prefers either Velox tape or the Zipp or Conti plastic rim strips

I use Velox strips, but some here prefer others. I run tubed clinchers. I don't think you can use these for tubeless setup.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I use the conti plastic strips. They're easy to put on and take off, and they seem to last forever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    No, no and no.

Stans yellow tape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    No, no, no and no again

Scotch Film Strapping Tape 8898 Ivory, 24 mm x 55 m

71QsgAx8QsL._SL1500_.jpg

why 2 identical threads?
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

tka
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    No, no, no and no again

Scotch Film Strapping Tape 8898 Ivory, 24 mm x 55 m

71QsgAx8QsL._SL1500_.jpg

why 2 identical threads?

Nope. Too wide.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Nope. Too wide.
    Thanks for letting me know. Now I'll have to go back and redo all those rims I taped using this.

There you would be wrong. It fills the rim bed perfectly. This has come up in the past, and this is the tape that at least one commercial wheelbuilder uses.

Try some research. Like this: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/whe...-a-354076.html
    Last edited by bikerjulio; 01-19-2017 at 10:36 AM.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening

One.

grizzly moderator
    Another vote for Stan's tape. I use two layers on everything I build which is mostly for tubed tires.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Thanks for letting me know. Now I'll have to go back and redo all those rims I taped using this.

There you would be wrong. It fills the rim bed perfectly. This has come up in the past, and this is the tape that at least one commercial wheelbuilder uses.

Try some research. Like this: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/whe...-a-354076.html

Hey, if it works for you, great! I am thinking it would make tire mounting more difficult. 19mm worked for me on both my builds - HED C2s and DT R460s. 16mm is too skinny.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013

From what I can gleam reading various forums, Stan's is really rebranded Tesa 4289, Pacenti tape is rebranded Scotch 8898 (which usually comes in a blue color), and American Classic is rebranded Kapton tape.

For tubed clincher setups it probably doesn't matter what you use. However for crazy tight tubeless rim/tire combos, Kapton is king as it's thinner which makes mounting tires easier (and it's lighter and less stretchy to boot).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Moral of the story is lots of stuff works. We've settled on two widths of Tesa (nominal 1" for 20mm internal, nominal .75" for narrower - although the narrower works fine for wider rims too) and it works like a champ. I know that Industry Nine uses straight up Tesa as well. It stays put really well. If you get a good technique with your thumb, you can get the tape REALLY stuck down into the channel and the whole install is quite quick. You have to be extremely aware of thumbnail length though, otherwise you split the tape. A friend told me he had that happen - certainly such a thing has never happened to me!

Kapton is really good for tight fits, as cooskull says. It's not only wicked thin, it's wicked slippery so the tire climbs out onto the shelf readily. The things you have to watch out for with that are that if you pull it too tight on install, it frequently explodes when you pierce the hole for the valve stem (same friend told me about that) and it is a PAIN IN THE STONES to remove if you should have to. I just retaped a set of my wheels today (changed hub color - yes, I'm a pretty princess when it comes to that stuff) and the hardest part of the whole deal was getting the stupid Kapton off. Our personal wheels get whatever off cuts, rejects and cast offs are hanging around, which is why they had Kapton in the first place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    I've used Velox with tubed clinchers for years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Nope. Too wide.
    Not for a HED + rim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
    Kapton is really good for tight fits, as cooskull says. It's not only wicked thin, it's wicked slippery so the tire climbs out onto the shelf readily. The things you have to watch out for with that are that if you pull it too tight on install, it frequently explodes when you pierce the hole for the valve stem (same friend told me about that) and it is a PAIN IN THE STONES to remove if you should have to. I just retaped a set of my wheels today (changed hub color - yes, I'm a pretty princess when it comes to that stuff) and the hardest part of the whole deal was getting the stupid Kapton off. Our personal wheels get whatever off cuts, rejects and cast offs are hanging around, which is why they had Kapton in the first place.
    I can personally vouch that Kapton tape will split by the valve stem hole if it is stretched too tight. I have had two occasions (front and rear wheels) where I found this only after it was time to replace the tire. Fortunately the tape never failed catastrophically- either due to luck or the tape's superior adhesion properties, I don't know.

However, my experience with Kapton tape was quite different from yours as far as residue. Even after riding in temperature extremes from 30 to 100 degrees with it installed, it's removal has been super easy and absolutely residue free. I can only guess that there are cheaper versions of the tape out there that use inferior adhesives?

Filament strapping tape on the other hand is certifiably the ultimate nightmare to have to take off (only tried that experiment once to find that out the hard way).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tka View Post
    That's exactly what I use, works perfectly!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I prefer Velox but that Kapton tape might be worth a shot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikephelps View Post
    1990 called. They want their tape back.

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cooskull View Post
    I can personally vouch that Kapton tape will split by the valve stem hole if it is stretched too tight. I have had two occasions (front and rear wheels) where I found this only after it was time to replace the tire. Fortunately the tape never failed catastrophically- either due to luck or the tape's superior adhesion properties, I don't know.

However, my experience with Kapton tape was quite different from yours as far as residue. Even after riding in temperature extremes from 30 to 100 degrees with it installed, it's removal has been super easy and absolutely residue free. I can only guess that there are cheaper versions of the tape out there that use inferior adhesives?

Filament strapping tape on the other hand is certifiably the ultimate nightmare to have to take off (only tried that experiment once to find that out the hard way).
    The tape I suggested, Scotch Film Strapping Tape 8898, does not spontaneously split, nor does it leave a residue. it's also pretty thin and slippery. So I'm not seeing why it isn't #1 here.

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    The tape I suggested, Scotch Film Strapping Tape 8898, does not spontaneously split, nor does it leave a residue. it's also pretty thin and slippery. So I'm not seeing why it isn't #1 here.
    For the record, the split was a few millimeters wide. This could pose a potential danger for tubeless setups, but is a non-issue for tubed setups.

But yes in most cases it six of one, a half-dozen of the other as to picking what works. Some people go "ghetto" and use duct tape or Gorilla tape and that suits them just fine (at least until they have to take the tape off for some reason).

My personal recommendation is that if someone goes the tape route, do get the original equivalent of the Stan's/Pacenti/AC. Paying 6x the price for a relabeled product just doesn't make any sense.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue CheeseHead View Post
    Not for a HED + rim.
    But for an HED C2?

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    But for an HED C2?
    First you question me. Which was a mistake. You did no research either before or since.

I guess you didn't bother to read my link. Too much work?

We buy it by the mile, have been using it for around 8 months. The 1" width is perfect for 18 to 20mm bead seat widths. By the time it drops down into and conforms to the channel, it's not too wide.

One.

Banned Sock Puppet
    First you question me. Which was a mistake. You did no research either before or since.

I guess you didn't bother to read my link. Too much work?
    Point taken. No need to get snarky.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikephelps View Post
    Not that this minutia matters for tubed clinchers but, seriously dude, try something else.

Give clipless pedals a try while you're at it

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Point taken. No need to get snarky.
    Good thing you didn't question anyone's choice of chain lube. That could get violent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast