Rim Tape Width

Thread: Rim Tape Width

RoadBikeReview Member

Rim Tape Width

I have a set of ALForce 33 wheels coming and was wondering what rim tape width to go with. NOT tubeless tape, but normal clincher tape. I was thinking 17mm. Not sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I built a set of wheels using the AL33 a couple of years ago.....great wheels. I bought everything from Bike Hub Store and used this rim tape, in 21mm: https://www.bikehubstore.com/product-p/velotape.htm Its been fine for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If the rims are tubeless ready you may be better off using tubeless tape. The tolerances are probably tighter to get a good seal and conventional tape will most likely make mounting tires tougher, 'specially considering the added mass of the tubes.

I know that I had to rip Velox out of a tubeless ready rim and replace it with tubeless tape to take the chore out of mounting tires. I choose tubes, but don't think that mandates using cloth tape.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    If the rims are tubeless ready you may be better off using tubeless tape.

I think it's just better period regardless of rims being tubeless ready or not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    The like I posted for the OP was for a "tubeless tape".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdhbrad View Post
    The like I posted for the OP was for a "tubeless tape".
    LOL . . It was like 3am.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Should have said "link"......all I know is what I showed you works just fine on an AL33. I don't use cloth tape anyone on any rims. If you get caught in a rain, they can soak up water from the water running up the spokes and past the nipples. Not a problem with the tape I showed you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

changingleaf
    2 layers of thin tubeless tape is the way to go on those rims regardless of use, tubes or tubeless.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    2 layers of thin tubeless tape is the way to go on those rims regardless of use, tubes or tubeless.
    Who makes what you'd consider "thin" tubeless tape? I ask as I'm not familiar with tubeless tape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    The brand I linked you too is pretty darned thin and BHS supplies products to many wheelbuilders through its other subsidiary.

Curious....if you are having a set of wheels built on the AL33...….why don't you just have the Builder supply their preferred rim tape? That's what I did when I ordered all my parts from BHS and the tape I suggested was what Brandon, the owner, of BHS recommended I use.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Who makes what you'd consider "thin" tubeless tape? I ask as I'm not familiar with tubeless tape.
    I'm not trying to answer for him, but tubeless tape is pretty much like a heavy packing tape in thickness. Two layers would still be thinner than something like Velox. I just started using it on my last two wheels and don't think I'd ever go back to Velox.

I'm not suggesting packing tape, just used it at an example.
    Too old to ride plastic

changingleaf
    All tubeless tape is thin relative to rim strips or velox.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    If the rims are tubeless ready you may be better off using tubeless tape. The tolerances are probably tighter to get a good seal and conventional tape will most likely make mounting tires tougher, 'specially considering the added mass of the tubes.

I know that I had to rip Velox out of a tubeless ready rim and replace it with tubeless tape to take the chore out of mounting tires. I choose tubes, but don't think that mandates using cloth tape.
    ^^^Absolutely this.^^^

Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    Why would you need 2 layers if you're using tubes? I use 1 layer for running tubes and never any problems.
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

changingleaf
    1 layer of most tubeless tapes is probably fine with tube.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    ^^^Absolutely this.^^^
    Why would you need 2 layers if you're using tubes? I use 1 layer for running tubes and never any problems.
    One layer can be too thin and pressure can cut off tape on the spoke hole....happened to me once with 1 layer of dtswiss tape on dtswiss R460 rim running tubeless setup.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Ante Smokrovic

2009 De Rosa Neo Pro - Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, Sella, Gardena, Campalongo, Falzarego, Valparola, San Pellegrino, Valles, Staulanza, Vršič, Mangart, Furcia...

2003 De Rosa Team - Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo, Bonette, Agnel, Izoard, Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, San Pellegrino, Staulanza, Manghen, Vršič, Učka, Mangart, Biokovo, Eisentalhöhe, Schonfeld, Schiestelscharte, Flattnitz...

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by smokva View Post
    One layer can be too thin and pressure can cut off tape on the spoke hole....happened to me once with 1 layer of dtswiss tape on dtswiss R460 rim running tubeless setup.

I said one layer is enough WHEN USING TUBES. i have never had the pressure from a tube punch through a single layer of Stan's tape into a spoke hole. Don't know about DT Swiss tape as I've never used theirs.
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    I said one layer is enough WHEN USING TUBES. i have never had the pressure from a tube punch through a single layer of Stan's tape into a spoke hole. Don't know about DT Swiss tape as I've never used theirs.
    What's the difference? Tubes or no tubes, same pressure being applied to the rim strip. I had a Rox rim strip blow through once. 2 layers of Stan's is prudent, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    yeah I'm pretty sure he know that. Either way what he said is the answer. But who cares really. If two layers is too expensive or adds to much weight for you then have at it but I don't really see any reason not to be cautious and go around twice.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    yeah I'm pretty sure he know that. Either way what he said is the answer. But who cares really. If two layers is too expensive or adds to much weight for you then have at it but I don't really see any reason not to be cautious and go around twice.
    No Jay, I'm not cheap nor am I a weight weenie. The only reason I go around only once is the same reason I don't use Velox anymore - I want to maximize the amount of space between rim and tire in order to make mounting and dismounting tires less of a pain. If I'm going to use 2 strips of Stan's, I may as well just use Velox and be done with it as it's easier to install in the first place.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    What's the difference? Tubes or no tubes, same pressure being applied to the rim strip. I had a Rox rim strip blow through once. 2 layers of Stan's is prudent, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I'm willing to bet that most are pumping tubed tires to higher pressures than those running tubeless. And if I'm correct, there's a better chance of a tubed tire blowing thru the tape than the tubeless.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    We use 2 wraps of Stan's-equivalent tape whether for tubes or tubeless in all road/gravel wheels. In most cases we have no idea if the customer plans to use tubes or not, and we wouldn't modify it in any case. For mtb, we use one.

2 wraps of tubeless tape is still WAY thinner than Velox - I'd guess 2 wraps is about 1/5th of 1/4th the thickness of Velox. Mounting difficulty is not increased with 2 wraps.

In my own wheels or observing wheels that come back for crash replacement or other work, the tape at the spoke holes is always indented. Is two wraps the difference between problem and not? Don't know, don't care - we use two.

I AM cheap, and if I felt that the extra material and time of 2 wraps was a waste I would absolutely not do it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    As others have already said... pressure is pressure, doesn't matter tube or tubeless. I don't believe sealant can do some chemical reaction to weaken the tape.
    Anyway, one layer is too thin for race bike tyre pressure of 7-9 bar.

Ante Smokrovic

2009 De Rosa Neo Pro - Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, Sella, Gardena, Campalongo, Falzarego, Valparola, San Pellegrino, Valles, Staulanza, Vršič, Mangart, Furcia...

2003 De Rosa Team - Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo, Bonette, Agnel, Izoard, Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, San Pellegrino, Staulanza, Manghen, Vršič, Učka, Mangart, Biokovo, Eisentalhöhe, Schonfeld, Schiestelscharte, Flattnitz...

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by smokva View Post
    As others have already said... pressure is pressure, doesn't matter tube or tubeless. I don't believe sealant can do some chemical reaction to weaken the tape.
    Anyway, one layer is too thin for race bike tyre pressure of 7-9 bar.

7-9 bars is 100-130 PSI. Unless you are over 100kg, that is way too much pressure.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    7-9 bars is 100-130 PSI. Unless you are over 100kg, that is way too much pressure.
    I'm 100kg when light, 120 kg currently
    I would never leave house with 25 mm tires on wide rims below 8 bars (115 PSI)...everything else is snakebite prooved. When I was riding 23 mm tires on narrow rims I had to go to 9,5 bars.

Ante Smokrovic