RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003

Road tubeless on carbon rim brake wheels? Anyone have experience you can share?

I'm getting a set of Light Bicycle carbon wheels that are tubeless. They will be rim brake and for road use. I use tubeless on my other bikes but not road and not rim brake carbon.
    In my area, East Bay SF Bay Area, there are mountains and unfortunately glass, little wires, etc that cause flats. I'm hoping tubeless would help with the flats but I've read the sealant can "cook" if overheated.
    So I'm looking for anyone who can provide some feedback. I'm decided on the wheels but can give or take tubeless. Anyone have experience with this setup?

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been running Boyd 44 carbon rims (rim brake) for a couple of years (and road tubeless since Hutchinson was the only TL tire maker) and have never heard of that before, in fact I'd suspect a carbon rim would de-laminate before cooking sealant. I suppose sealant can dry up quicker in road wheels than mtn bike wheels because of corresponding tire surfaces but that would happen regardless of brake type.

If possible, I 'ass'ume it'd be easier to cook sealant with aluminum rims than carbon imho.

Enjoy your ride.
    Last edited by upstateSC-rider; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:43 AM. Reason: sp
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

changingleaf
    Tubeless will help you reduce flats on the road. I have never heard of sealant cooking in a tire, only drying out quicker in some conditions that others. Tubeless is safer descending as well because when you get a puncture the air leaks out slowly giving you time to to stop. The same size puncture in a tube will deflate very rapidly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    I personally just can't go full tubeless on the road. When I'm far from home, I need as much assurance as I can get that I'll get home. If the sealant has dried-up or the puncture is too big to seal, I'm SOL with just a tubeless setup. I started doing the combo of using a tube AND sealant on my road bike. That way, if the sealant doesn't work and I still get a flat, I can replace the tube and still get home. My 2 cents.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    I personally just can't go full tubeless on the road. When I'm far from home, I need as much assurance as I can get that I'll get home. If the sealant has dried-up or the puncture is too big to seal, I'm SOL with just a tubeless setup. I started doing the combo of using a tube AND sealant on my road bike. That way, if the sealant doesn't work and I still get a flat, I can replace the tube and still get home. My 2 cents.
    Nothing unique about tubless in that respect other that being a big mess.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Nothing unique about tubless in that respect other that being a big mess.
    A slight advantage would be that I don't need a sudden burst of air to seat the tire beads when first installing the tire... I can just use a normal bike pump instead of an air compressor.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I personally just can't go full tubeless on the road. When I'm far from home, I need as much assurance as I can get that I'll get home. If the sealant has dried-up or the puncture is too big to seal, I'm SOL with just a tubeless setup.
    No you're not. Just put a tube in it.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    Thanks. Many of my buddies ride rim brake carbon on big hilly rides like Leviís Gran Fondo. Iím not afraid of doing it with modern wheels but Iíll likely check how I brake.
    Good to know on the tubeless. Iíll probably give it a go.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    Good points. Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    A slight advantage would be that I don't need a sudden burst of air to seat the tire beads when first installing the tire... I can just use a normal bike pump instead of an air compressor.
    you missed my point.
    Flat on the road using tubes = Put in another tube
    Flat on road using tubeless = Put in a tube

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Road tubeless on carbon rim brake wheels? Anyone have experience you can share?

A lot of people are using plugs in tubeless tires instead of a spare tube. I've got a couple of plug kits, but never used them. I carry a tube also. Road tubeless is relatively new to me, but I've been tubeless on mountain bikes for years. Always managed to ride home with a slow leak instead of fixing it in the field; mainly goat head thorns, which sealant works well on as long as it isn't dried out.
    Last edited by mfdemicco; 1 Week Ago at 12:51 PM.