Sapim Cx Super spokes
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017

Sapim Cx Super spokes

I'm planning to build a new wheels sets, and I'm interested in your opinion about the new Sapim spokes, the Cx Super.

Assuming 3 hypothetical wheels sets, all with the same rims (carbon rim 38-45mm depth) and the same hubs, but one sets with Sapim Cx Ray, one with Sapim Sprint and the last one with the new Sapim Cx Superx, what difference will be between the wheels in terms of lateral stiffness, comfort ecc ecc ?
    Thanks to all for the advice.

Attached Images Attached Images

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I'd go with CX-Ray, unless you're over say...225lbs and/or a guy that kills wheels. In that case I'd go CX-Super, the extra material in the middle of the spokes will help build stronger wheels. Possibly a little stiffer in lateral flexibility as well.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I'd go with CX-Ray, unless you're over say...225lbs and/or a guy that kills wheels. In that case I'd go CX-Super, the extra material in the middle of the spokes will help build stronger wheels. Possibly a little stiffer in lateral flexibility as well.
    ^^^^

This level of wrench expertise is one of the few things that keeps me coming back to RBR forums.

As always, thanks cx, ya crabby bastich.

Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    ^^^^

This level of wrench expertise is one of the few things that keeps me coming back to RBR forums.

As always, thanks cx, ya crabby bastich.

Lucky for you you're one of my favorites

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Thank you very much.
    hem, yes I'm heavy, 180lbs, and my Dura Ace C24 rear wheel it's gone after 20.000km.

I'm plannig to build a new wheelset, with Yuniper hubs and Fastop Bike carbon rims, maybe 38mm depth front rim and 43mm depth the rear rim.

I'm uncertain about the spokes, Super Cx are very expensive but probably it's the best choice.
    0 Links

Last edited by Rone69; 1 Week Ago at 03:00 AM.

180lbs is not heavy, it's average in the US. If you can't justify spending the $$$ on the CX Super then get a good quality butted round spoke. DT Swiss Comp is a great choice, I'm sure the Sapim spokes will work fine as well.

changingleaf
    The Sprint has the most material in the middle.

There is also a CX-sprint available.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rone69 View Post
    Thank you very much.
    hem, yes I'm heavy, 180lbs, and my Dura Ace C24 rear wheel it's gone after 20.000km.

I'm plannig to build a new wheelset, with Yuniper hubs and Fastop Bike carbon rims, maybe 38mm depth front rim and 43mm depth the rear rim.

I'm uncertain about the spokes, Super Cx are very expensive but probably it's the best choice.
    0 Links
    Can I ask what was the reason for the demise of these wheels?

As CX said, 180 is not heavy. 20,000 km is about 12,500 miles which isn't bad for a low-spoke wheelset which IIRC, those wheels have a 16/20 spoke count.

If you really want a stronger, stiffer wheel, go with more spokes. I think 24/28 should be minimum and personally, I like 24/32.

If you are concerned with spokes breaking, keep in mind that spokes almost always break at either the nipple or the j-bend. So getting spokes with a thicker center will not prevent spoke breakage. Though thicker spokes will make wheel building easier because they twist less.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    In the first post, I've mentioned 3 kind of Sapim spokes: CxRay, Cx Sprint an Super Cx.

[REDACTED]
    In the first post, I've mentioned 3 kind of Sapim spokes: CxRay, Cx Sprint an Super Cx.
    Personally, of these 3, I would go with the CX Sprints.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

Assuming 3 hypothetical wheels sets, all with the same rims (carbon rim 38-45mm depth) and the same hubs, but one sets with Sapim Cx Ray, one with Sapim Sprint and the last one with the new Sapim Cx Superx, what difference will be between the wheels in terms of lateral stiffness, comfort ecc ecc ?
    Not at all would be my guess. I definitely don't notice any difference between different spokes on otherwise identical wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I built some wheels with Sapin Xray I think, some broke. I used DT swiss on the rebuild and never had a problem after that. 175lbs.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Not at all would be my guess. I definitely don't notice any difference between different spokes on otherwise identical wheels.
    In you opinion, the difference will be only the wheels weight and more or less money in the pocket ??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Personally, of these 3, I would go with the CX Sprints.
    Please can you explane the reason of your choice?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I built some wheels with Sapin Xray I think, some broke. I used DT swiss on the rebuild and never had a problem after that. 175lbs.
    Wich model of Dtswiss spokes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    In you opinion, the difference will be only the wheels weight and more or less money in the pocket ??
    The only difference a rider can perceive, yes, that has been my my experience with several different spokes on otherwise identical wheels.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Yup...although consult your wheel builder and rim OEM--some spokes start getting too strong for usage in some carbon rims.

With carbon rims....they are very stiff and very stiff/straight without being laced....you're not going to feel a difference between spokes.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I weigh around 200 lbs and have several sets of wheels with cxray spokes 24F/28R. They all have White Industries T11 hubs. I've been riding them for years and never even had to true them.

[REDACTED]
    Please can you explane the reason of your choice?
    I don't feel the others are worth the extra cost, not to mention spokes that are very thin are a PITA to build with.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Tanks to all for the advices.

changingleaf
    You showed the specs for the round Sprint in your first post, which is not the same as the bladed CX-sprint.

Any bladed spokes make truing a wheel easier if you have the bladed spoke holder. The bladed spoke holder is different for the Sprint and the Ray spokes.

All of these spokes will last a very long time on a properly built wheel. The thinner spokes will be slightly more prone to damage and breakage from debris on the trail. I think the choice comes down to how much do you want to save weight and how much do you want to spend.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    You showed the specs for the round Sprint in your first post, which is not the same as the bladed CX-sprint.

Any bladed spokes make truing a wheel easier if you have the bladed spoke holder. The bladed spoke holder is different for the Sprint and the Ray spokes.

All of these spokes will last a very long time on a properly built wheel. The thinner spokes will be slightly more prone to damage and breakage from debris on the trail. I think the choice comes down to how much do you want to save weight and how much do you want to spend.
    Yes, it is true that bladed spokes help with building as twist is easily seen and corrected.

In the end, IMHO, I don't think the minuscule weight savings is worth the extra cost of ultra skinny spokes in general.