Seeping Tubeless Sidewalls--Normal?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Seeping Tubeless Sidewalls--Normal?

Hi all,

I just changed my first set of tubeless tires (Conti 5000 TL x 28) because I wore out the first set (the rear anyway--a Conti 5000 TL x 25). One of them would not hold air and I could find no evidence of leaks, so I put it under water and found that the sidewalls, both sides and all the way around the tire, were slowly seeping air. The video won't attach, but you can follow the link to see how bubbles are forming on the sidewall, then floating away. I'm thinking, defective. But since I'm new to tubeless, thought I'd see if this was at all common.

https://youtu.be/WW6uC_j3_3Y

Bradley

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I don't know squat about tubeless really but the fact it's only happening to one of them is a pretty big clue that it's not normal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I don't know squat about tubless really but the fact it's only happening to one of them is a pretty big clue you shouldn't have to deal with that.
    Shouldn't have to, but . . . LOL

Certainly not the sort of thing I expect from Conti.
    Bradley

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Are you sure your 5000's are the TL's and not tubed version?

I've been tubeless about 5 yrs. Including Conti 5000's. And I have a bunch of friends tubeless as well. Never seen this happen. But it's not unheard of. There was just a discussion here about a month ago.

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/wh...ss-373619.html

BTW, your video link doesn't work either.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Definitely tubeless, at least according to all of the packaging and labeling.

Thanks for the note about the link. Not sure why they work on my machine and not for others. I'll attach a still image I'm using for warrant purposes.

IMG-1317.jpg

https://youtu.be/WW6uC_j3_3Y
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bradley

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bleckb View Post
    Definitely tubeless, at least according to all of the packaging and labeling.

Thanks for the note about the link. Not sure why they work on my machine and not for others. I'll attach a still image I'm using for warrant purposes.
    Picture doesn't really show anything.

Video unavailable
    This video is private.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Made the video public. What you can see on the picture is several lines of bubbles on the sidewall. In the video, these grow and break free and float away, and keep on doing so until there isn't enough pressure in the tire.
    Bradley

MDM
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    I've had bubbles in small areas of the casing on different brands of tubeless ready tires. Sealant is necessary to seal the casing in these tires. Turn the tire so the sealant is puddled over the areas of the bubbles and it should seal. Verify by reimersing the pressurized tire in water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MDM View Post
    I've had bubbles in small areas of the casing on different brands of tubeless ready tires. Sealant is necessary to seal the casing in these tires. Turn the tire so the sealant is puddled over the areas of the bubbles and it should seal. Verify by reimersing the pressurized tire in water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    GP 5000's have an airtight lining. If they are leaking through the casing, something is definitely wrong.

My GP5000`s will hold air for 24hrs without any sealant.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    A) itís normal for a non tubeless tire, which Is what thatís acting like regardless of whatís on the hotpatch.

B) you got sealant in there? You should be seeing weeping sealant, which hopefully will seal the pinholes, but Iíve had non-tubeless conti mtb tires refuse to ever completely seal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Got sealant harryman. I don't know if you looked at the video, but the seeping is happening through the whole 360 degrees of the casing and on both sides. I think I'd need about double the 2oz of sealant used and a laborious task of laying the tire on it's side, waiting for sealant to work, moving to the next bit, and on and on. Since my previous Conti 5000 TLs didn't have this problem, I contacted the seller (bought via Amazon Marketplace) and they offered a refund and will be warrantying them through Continental.
    Bradley

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I did see the video, it looked like my tires if you subbed in sealant for your bubbles. Glad you got your warranty, I think thatís the best solution.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Somewhat ironically, I think, the tire/wheel is now holding air, but there is a bunch of water sloshing around inside it from the testing for leaks.
    Bradley

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bleckb View Post
    Somewhat ironically, I think, the tire/wheel is now holding air, but there is a bunch of water sloshing around inside it from the testing for leaks.
    Probably inside the rim. Air seepage through the sidewalls of tubeless tires is not something to worry about, sometimes is happens sometimes not even with the same tire brand / model - use sealant and it stops.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I expect some of your nipples to corrode from all that water ingression. Shouldn't have dunked the rim underwater like that