• 03-25-2011
    commfire
    Shallow rim carbon tubular training wheel? Do they exist?
    I am looking for a solid wheel to train on and ride everyday. Weight and aerodynamics not a priority however durability is.
    Is there an open pro version of a carbon tubular that can be laced up solid for under $1000
    Why carbon? To be honest, looks, and I hate switching brake pads twice a week.
  • 03-25-2011
    rx-79g
    I doubt it. Why not just buy a cheap set of Chinese carbon aero rims? The heavier ones should be plenty durable.
  • 03-25-2011
    spade2you
    Why are you replacing brake pads twice a week?
  • 03-25-2011
    commfire
    Well a good week I will get out the door for a wednesday night TT and then usually find a crit on the weekend. I have a set of carbon race wheels and a set of alum clinchers for the rest of the week.
  • 03-25-2011
    ewitz
    Can usually find some used Bontrager Race XXX Lite cheap. Well under $1000
  • 03-25-2011
    mimason
    Bonty XXX or Shimano DA 7850 C24. I have the C24s and they are excellent. Very stiff, great riding.

edit 7850 not 7801
  • 03-25-2011
    commfire
    The 7801 is a great suggestion thanks....16/20 sounds like a low spoke count. Any issues?
  • 03-25-2011
    DonDenver
    Don't worry about counting spokes with the C24's. Train or race them with any weight. Wife is on them (7800's)...I'm on them (7900's), can't go wrong IMO.
  • 03-25-2011
    Zen Cyclery
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DonDenver
    Train or race them with any weight. Wife is on them (7800's)....

It's probably in your best interest not to let your wife see this post.
  • 03-26-2011
    mimason
    Quote:

Originally Posted by commfire
    The 7801 is a great suggestion thanks....16/20 sounds like a low spoke count. Any issues?

Too soon for me to comment personally since I have not had them long but they have a 3 yr warranty and have recevied very good reviews overall. The ony downside to these that I can say is proprietary parts but I am impressed Shimano can make such a stiff wheelset with this spoke count.
  • 03-26-2011
    T0mi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by commfire
    I am looking for a solid wheel to train on and ride everyday. Weight and aerodynamics not a priority however durability is.
    Is there an open pro version of a carbon tubular that can be laced up solid for under $1000
    Why carbon? To be honest, looks, and I hate switching brake pads twice a week.

I would simply suggest second hand aero wheels. There are plenty of them available on the market and most of them don't have any problem or only cosmetic issues. Some people seem to buy all the latest gears and get rid of them after only 1 or 2 seasons.

In France, you can find a pair of used corima aero wheels or even 4 spokes (that should be fun for training) for less than 350€/500$, it's probably the same in the us with the zipp, hed or other domestic manufacturers.

Or you can use cheap chinese aero rims, you can even ask them any specific spoke count and they are available in 22 or 38mm profile.
  • 03-26-2011
    ewitz
    Here is a pair for sale for $799 with Conti Sprinter tires
    http://mikesbikeparts.weebly.com/parts-for-sale.html
  • 03-26-2011
    asad137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spade2you
    Why are you replacing brake pads twice a week?

He's not replacing them, he's switching between carbon-specific pads and aluminum-specific pads twice a week.

Asad
  • 03-26-2011
    zoikz
    In my experience the deeper dish wheels 40-50mm are way, way tougher then the shallow dish.
    Try Williams or Carroll Composites.
  • 03-26-2011
    mimason
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ewitz
    Here is a pair for sale for $799 with Conti Sprinter tires
    http://mikesbikeparts.weebly.com/parts-for-sale.html

I don't think those are really 7801 but rather 7800s. Looking at the hub you can see the difference. These are likely over 3 yrs old and for 800 I'd pass. My brand new 7801s, discontinued in the 7900 line up were 999 new from a licensed dealer.

edit:those are 7801 but i actually meant 7850s.