Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

So I guess this wheel is done

1K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Dr_John 
#1 ·
I just discovered this on my Shimano WH-R600 wheel set's rear rim. They have exactly 10,000 miles on them. I've had them for two years, I'm guessing they're out of warranty.

#3 ·
A rebuild will be cheaper than a new wheel.

#6 ·
Dr_John said:
Thanks. And of course I just re-did the hubs. This might seem like a stupid question - I understand why I don't want to use it on the road, but I don't see that there'd be any real danger using it on a trainer?
You could use it on the trainer as long as it is relatively true. A crack like that could be caused by stress and the crack itself has probably relieved the stress. It won't get better though. Better to have it fail while clamped in a trainer. What kind of trainer? I have an Elite that still puts alot of weight on the rear wheel.

I would try the shimano route to see if you can get a new rim/wheel.

#12 ·
It won't hurt to ask

Dr. John,

It wouldn't hurt to ask the folks you bought it from if it is still under warranty. If you purchased it from the LBS they might well take care of it for you.

Heck, I purchased a 2004 Trek 5900 and the LBS has replaced the Bonti Race X Lites for me now twice. The first one broke the hub and they sent me two new wheels. This second set had several areas on the rear rim beginning to crack and they're replacing it.

It never hurts to ask.
Greg

#16 ·
Thanks for all the responses.

For the majority of the type of riding I'm doing, they've been great. I've never busted a spoke, or had to have them trued. I re-packed the hubs not because they needed to be, but I had accidentally loosened the cones, so I figured I'd go ahead and do it (I've never done it before). They still spin and feel great. They certainly haven't been abused, and I'm a pretty light rider (140-145 lbs).

It's still true. I have no idea how long it's been like that, but I would suspect not long. My intent is to use it now on my trainer (CycleOps 2 fluid).

These were the original wheels that came on my 2006 Roubaix Expert, so it's easy enough to run it by the dealer I bought the bike from. The warranty on the bike from Specialized and Ultegra-level stuff from Shimano is one year, so I'm not expecting much. As hockinsk mentions, this was a known problem with either the similar 105-level wheels or the previous year's version of this level wheel (don't remember which), but I thought I had heard that the issue had been resolved on this set. Maybe Shimano will come through. :)

Again, thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.