Soul S3.0SL wheelset - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I finally was able to get out and ride my newly shod bike. I was quite pleased with the overall ride. I am far from an expert when it comes to comparing wheelsets, but I would have to say the S3.0SL's are nice and stiff, at least compared to my Shimano RS10's. They seemed to climb quickly and descending was very confidence inspiring. It was unfortunate that I had a steady headwind most of my ride, so it was hard to get a full "true" feeling for the wheels performance. I must say, these hubs seem to spin forever.

Dcmkx2000---I have a hard time believing you would be to "heavy" for these wheels (SL version). I think you would be very happy with this wheelset.

rgg01-----I had to laugh about your comments about how heavy your box was. I also was shocked when I picked up my box for the first time at the post office. I was trying to figure out how this box weighed so much. Once I got home, I found 8-10 bottles of Singaporean tap water in my box I figure this helps keep the boxes from scooting around in the plane or container. I believe you will enjoy your new wheels. Let us know about your first ride and impression.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I finally was able to get out and ride my newly shod bike. I was quite pleased with the overall ride. I am far from an expert when it comes to comparing wheelsets, but I would have to say the S3.0SL's are nice and stiff, at least compared to my Shimano RS10's. They seemed to climb quickly and descending was very confidence inspiring. It was unfortunate that I had a steady headwind most of my ride, so it was hard to get a full "true" feeling for the wheels performance. I must say, these hubs seem to spin forever.

Dcmkx2000---I have a hard time believing you would be to "heavy" for these wheels (SL version). I think you would be very happy with this wheelset.

rgg01-----I had to laugh about your comments about how heavy your box was. I also was shocked when I picked up my box for the first time at the post office. I was trying to figure out how this box weighed so much. Once I got home, I found 8-10 bottles of Singaporean tap water in my box I figure this helps keep the boxes from scooting around in the plane or container. I believe you will enjoy your new wheels. Let us know about your first ride and impression.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    so I put the wheels onto the bike and the color scheme matches pretty well as you can see, they're not too bling but go well with the paint. How do they ride? Well I took them out last night for our club ride which is held at a auto racing circuit, it was very windy but the surface is clean and very smooth as you'd expect. Right off these wheels seem to roll very smoothly, they are virtually silent as well, compared to my Campagnolo Khamsin's which were like gattling guns, there is a steep downhill bend on this course where you freewheel and with the old wheels people would actually sit up and look back to see what was coming, the SOul wheels are quiet and I actually had to shout beep! to one guy who was drifting across the track as I was approaching at 50+kph. They feel plenty stiff and whilst it may be placebo effect or shiny equipment effect they feel fast as well, I was running intervals last night and was always climbing my interval in one bigger gear than ususal, but I have been working on this in the last few weeks so more likely to be the hard work than the wheels. I will have a quantative idea of this over the next week or so when I revert to my normal training route where measuring time over a fixed course I have ridden 100's of times should show if there is any difference. Bottom line I think I got a quality set of wheels for my $430 and I'm very pleased with the way they look and perform, overall with new skewers, wheels and tyres I've knocked about 1kg off the bike and they're everyday rideable as opposed to carbon which everyone seems to consider race day only, time will tell on durability but if I have any problems in this regard I will report back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    How much do you weigh?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Did you get the xpert or other one? I have Khamsin's run now and looking at Soul Wheels too!! Nice to know they are quiet. Any other feedback in terms of differences?

I wish the S was in blue so it would match my bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I weigh 83kg but I wasn't too worried about a weight limit as the roads i ride here are smooth and fairly flat, and I'm not a super duper competitive sprinter who puts huge stresses on equipment. I got the SL's maybe the white finish would work better than the regular one's with Blue?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rgg01 View Post
    I weigh 83kg but I wasn't too worried about a weight limit as the roads i ride here are smooth and fairly flat, and I'm not a super duper competitive sprinter who puts huge stresses on equipment. I got the SL's maybe the white finish would work better than the regular one's with Blue?
    I thought of white, but not sure white is an option on the S3.0. I thought white was an option for the S4.0, but I could be wrong though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Caadmatt.....just sent back my Eastons, put on my old wheels and they felt awful. Getting real close to buying the souls. How do they feel compared to the eastons you had for a short while?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcmkx2000 View Post
    Caadmatt.....just sent back my Eastons, put on my old wheels and they felt awful. Getting real close to buying the souls. How do they feel compared to the eastons you had for a short while?
    Dcmkx2000--honestly, i loved how the Eastons felt. They rolled like warm butter. If Eastons in general didn't have all the spoke issues, I would have definitely kept them. I only paid $400 for them so it would have been a no brainer to keep them. I had very limited experience with the Easton ea90slx wheelset (only 100 miles) and I have only had time for about 100 miles with my Soul s3.0sl wheelset. That being said, the Soul's are definitely stiffer and lighter. My wheelset was within 7 grams of Soul's posted weight of 1400g. The Easton's were probably 50ish grams overweight. On an asthetic note, I believe the Soul's look quite handsome on my noble steed in comparison to the Eastons. The s3.osl's roll very well and do not flex at all. I feel very confident on fast descending corners and have no fear of the spokes flying on fast descents like I had with the Eastons. That fear was constantly on my mind and it really robbed me of the joy of the ride I really have nothing negative to say about s3.0sl's. I highly recommend these wheels and believe you will really enjoy them if you choose to purchase them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    white is definately an option, it was in the email Sean sent me after I emailed my enquiry, it costs $30 extra. Now this is hardly scientific but on my training route which i've been riding for around a year, I have increased my average speed by 1mph, gotta love the placebo effect!

RoadBikeReview Member
    [IMG][/IMG]

Well my tires blew and ruined my back up wheels as I just sent the Eastons back. Now I have no wheels and will have to ride my mountain bike. I need to make a decision now. I am thinking about saving some money and going with the XPERT build for the great durability. They should weigh close to what my Eastons did, and that would be fine with me.

Anyone have the XPERTS on here...how do you like them?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Anyone have the XPERTS on here...how do you like them?
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/whe...de-234711.html

I've had a set of the Xperts since Dec 2010 and they are still straight and true as the day I mounted them. I did buy the 'wide' version that isn't shown on the website. I use it trail riding and it has been bullet proof so far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thtdrewguy, thanx for the info and link. As long as the experts would be comparable to the Eastons I would be happy. The Eastons supposedly weighed. Around 1560, so if the EXPERTs come in close to their. 1540 mark for $380 that would be a freaking bargain.

Do you guys think the SLs are worth the extra $120?

I was planning on getting one of the new Williams Cycling saddles, which I could almost cover with the savings. But if the would hold up with my now 162 lbs (weighed myself before dinner), I might go for it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I heard that Sean is coming out with new wheels or redesigns at the end of the month on another forum. Can anyone verify this? Sean?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    That was discussed earlier in this very thread, and confirmed by Sean in this very thread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Anyone order your wheels with Velocity Plugs, or use them? If so, ever have any problems?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Anyone order your wheels with Velocity Plugs, or use them? If so, ever have any problems?
    Are these the same brand of plugs that Sean can supply with the Soul rims? I'm curious about them myself and wondering if they're worth the added expense over rim strips.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Spongeboy View Post
    Are these the same brand of plugs that Sean can supply with the Soul rims? I'm curious about them myself and wondering if they're worth the added expense over rim strips.
    I ordered the plugs with my wheels. On the good side, they are extremely lite. On the bad side, the plugs rarely stayed in the hole. Most of the plugs fell out as soon as I rotated the wheel to put in the next plug. I fixed this by cutting a 2 inch piece of electrical tape and taping each plug to the rim. I bought the plugs because I decided to be a weight weiny. I wanted to eliminate as much weight as possible from the rim. Is it worth the $20? I'm not convinced it is, except for the knowledge that I added the most minimalistic weight to the rim

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Hi CM,

Just pry the feet apart a little before inserting and they will pop in and not come out. You only need to do this for one leg. The problem is that we have different rims with different holes so some wheel require us to do that with our plugs. Our new rims will not have these issues as we try to standardise all the hole sizes. Once you pump up the wheels, the plugs get fitted and stay.

Quote Originally Posted by caadmatt View Post
    I ordered the plugs with my wheels. On the good side, they are extremely lite. On the bad side, the plugs rarely stayed in the hole. Most of the plugs fell out as soon as I rotated the wheel to put in the next plug. I fixed this by cutting a 2 inch piece of electrical tape and taping each plug to the rim. I bought the plugs because I decided to be a weight weiny. I wanted to eliminate as much weight as possible from the rim. Is it worth the $20? I'm not convinced it is, except for the knowledge that I added the most minimalistic weight to the rim

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by buffedupboy View Post
    Hi CM,

Just pry the feet apart a little before inserting and they will pop in and not come out. You only need to do this for one leg. The problem is that we have different rims with different holes so some wheel require us to do that with our plugs. Our new rims will not have these issues as we try to standardise all the hole sizes. Once you pump up the wheels, the plugs get fitted and stay.
    How far away are those new rims?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by buffedupboy View Post
    Hi CM,

O boy. I must have had my brain turned off when I installed the plugs I'm not sure why I didn't think about spreading the feet. O well, they are working fine just the way they are.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, I am in for a set of 3.0 sl's. Sean answered all 8 of my emails, and I am pleased that he monitors and responds to threads all over the net about his wheels. I would have waited for his new stuff, but I ruined my rear wheel beyond repair last Sunday and couldn't wait as I have no backup set. He said he had my wheels ready to ship so hopefully I get them in about a week.

Caadmatt,
    I ordered the plugs also. Since you didn't use tape, did you put anything around the valve hole when you mounted your tubes and tires?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good to hear about the turn around time, sux for all those people on here that had to wait a couple of weeks.

Caadmatt,
    Did you install the wheels yourself? If a shop did it, what were thier impression of the build quality?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Well, I am in for a set of 3.0 sl's. Sean answered all 8 of my emails, and I am pleased that he monitors and responds to threads all over the net about his wheels. I would have waited for his new stuff, but I ruined my rear wheel beyond repair last Sunday and couldn't wait as I have no backup set. He said he had my wheels ready to ship so hopefully I get them in about a week.

Caadmatt,
    I ordered the plugs also. Since you didn't use tape, did you put anything around the valve hole when you mounted your tubes and tires?
    I did not put any tape etc. around the valve hole. So far it's been fine. I will have to see how it fairs in the long run. Again, with my lack of weight, I'm not worried about it. BTW, I got my wheels within 4 or 5 days after I placed the order. Sean is not joking when he says that he has them in stock.

RoadBikeReview Member

s3.0 sl's came today!!!!!!

HOLY CRAP these things are light!!!! When I ordered my Easton EA90 Aeros I knew they were lighter than my original set, but wasn't shocked at how much when I picked them up (I know my arms aren't carefully calibrated scales). When I picked up the rear wheel of my s3.0 sl's I was amazed! I am almost nervous because I don't understand how something so light is going to support an adult. Luckily I am only 160 lbs. On the box where it says "Customer Will be Pissed Fragile" it was bashed in and fixed with packaging tape. I was nervous to open them up. The protective plastic that inserts into the hubs were jarred off, but the wheels appear to be fine. I have the cassette mounted and I am going to install them tonight, and ride tomorrow. I will post a pic when they are installed on the bike. I am also excited that I have wheels that not many around me will have. I ride a Kestrel, and haven't seen one around me yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast