Soul S3.0SL wheelset - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RoadBikeReview Member

Soul s3.0 sl pics

First ride impressions....made the bike handle very lively, didn't seem too firm or harsh, they spin up nicely, and I like the way they look on my bike (I am going to get all black tires soon). Compared to the Eastons, I think the Easton's may have accelerated better, but I have been off the bike for about 17 days so time will tell. With the six pawls in the hub, engagement in almost instantaneous compared to all other wheels I have ridden, that is sweet. When pedaling or sprinting out of the saddle sometimes I hear a slight rattling and rubbing noise. I think it might be the tread on the outer part of the tire and maybe the valve stem moving around. Using the worlds most scientific test, when I spin the front wheels with my hand it seems to roll forever, especially compared to my Eastons. Got the plugs to instead of rim tape, and I pulled the tabs out a little before I installed them, worked great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    That looks sweet. I am still really enjoying mine, I have put 500kms on them in the last 2 weeks and they have been excellent, I had a nasty pinch flat when someone ahead didn't call the obstacle and just swerved at the last second, inserted new tube and off I went no troubles at all. Very impressed all around, not just for the money, but as a first quality purchase.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Anyone notice wheel hop, bounce, or like the wheel and tire leave the ground when you hit a small hole or bump sometimes with these wheels?

This happened yesterday, and the wheels don't give me that planted feeling like my other two sets did.

I know maunder its the tires, or could it be because the wheels are so light?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Just broke a drive side spoke today. Seem to have broken around the J bend or close to it.

Managed to limp home the 50km on a pretty wobbly rim. Anyone know exactly what kind of spoke is used in the build so I can buy some spares and repair my wheel?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Contact Sean, depending how long ago you bought them he should send yo some spares. That sux you broke a spoke. I sent my Eastons BC I was afraid of breaking spokes. Hope that don't happen to me for awhile. How many miles on the wheels, and how much do you weigh?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Almost 6000kms on them.

I'm 160lbs. They've been flawless to this point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    anyone hear news about the "updated" 23mm wide version of the soul 3.0SL's? Last i heard they were coming out near the end of May - just curious. Their website doesn't have anything new last time i checked.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by defboob View Post
    anyone hear news about the "updated" 23mm wide version of the soul 3.0SL's? Last i heard they were coming out near the end of May - just curious. Their website doesn't have anything new last time i checked.
    I spoke with Sean and he said they're coming out at the end June due to some production delays. I'm sort of torn between these and the new Boyd Vitesse 28mm x 23mm tires! I'll just have to think a bit more about this...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Anyone ever have a clicking when climbing out of the saddle and it end up being the bladed spokes on the rear clicking where they cross?

s3.0 xperts

RoadBikeReview Member
    Anyone heard of Sean's new wheels coming out any time soon?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcmkx2000 View Post
    Anyone heard of Sean's new wheels coming out any time soon?
    I've been waiting for this as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    They said by the end of June was the last time I heard anything. It is now mid August and still nothing...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Still waiting here as well
    cheers
    Pagey
    2015 Cervelo S3 w/DI-2 / Customers carbon wheelset

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I thought I would post an update. I have had a couple of issues now that I've put maybe 2000kms on these wheels. I now have had 4 broken spokes on the rear wheel and one on the front. The last was yesterday on a flat section of dedicated cycle path where I was just riding along at 35kmh in a group, no acceleration, sat in saddle, in-explicable really. The other were all similar really. My LBS is looking at the wheel overnight, they say there may be a problem in the spoke tension or the hub. I'm nowhere near the weight limit for the wheels, lots of other companies use the Sapim spokes and the wheels run great as I've previously stated in this thread. I've written to Sean and I'm hoping to hear something back in the next couple of days, particularly if there have been similar issues elsewhere. Will update if I get an answer

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I got an email back from Sean, fast as ever, suggesting I ship the wheel back to him for a rebuild. Since this is what my LBS advised anyhow I'm going to let them take it apart and start from scratch and hopefully that will solve any issues, if not or they find something heinous then back to Sean it goes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Hi, I have done a review last year about those wheel.
    I have now more than 8000 km on them, without major problem.
    Few irritating issues at start:
    - Extra long delay for shipping - did not respect is time frame.
    - no lubricant in the freewheel on arrival.
    - broken axle (miss a piece of alum on the axle) , got a quick replacement.
    - weight about 80 g more (from what I remember 1480g instead of 1400g)
    OK I might just be an exception.
    On the road,
    1 broken spoke on de NDS of the rear wheel at about 2500 km.
    Frequent relubrification of the bearing at the rear - the freehub bearing pick up water easily in rain.
    Bearing change at 7000 km (not very expensive).

if i ignore the first few issue, I would says that those wheel are fine for the price.
    I cant say that they are faster than my model B Planet X, 1600g wheel at 150$ bought 2 years ago (Test 3 time on the same road).

Fairwheel bike blog have 2-3 nice articles on hubs. My personnal conclusion is that the the rear hub bearing (4 x 6802) could be bigger and they would be more durable. Front wheel is fine. Again, bearing change are not expensive and you wont get catastrophic failure, just an axle harder to turn.

Again, not a bad wheel for the price, and I am quite confident that Sean is still working hard to improve them (i look that the 2013 rim is more toroid that before on is new site).

If you shop for wheel, check also wheels on Velobuild site.

My next wheelset will be probably custom build. THere a trend on good hub to go with bigger axle (12 -17 front , 15 -17 mm rear ) and bigger bearing (more load capacity and more durable).
    Bikehubstore have some very affordable hub. I am also looking also at White Industrie hub. Farsport have some interesting carbon and carbon alu rim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SL06 View Post
    Hi, I have done a review last year about those wheel.
    I have now more than 8000 km on them, without major problem.
    Few irritating issues at start:
    - Extra long delay for shipping - did not respect is time frame.
    - no lubricant in the freewheel on arrival.
    - broken axle (miss a piece of alum on the axle) , got a quick replacement.
    - weight about 80 g more (from what I remember 1480g instead of 1400g)
    OK I might just be an exception.
    On the road,
    1 broken spoke on de NDS of the rear wheel at about 2500 km.
    Frequent relubrification of the bearing at the rear, the freehub bearing pick up water easily in rain.
    Bearing change at 7000 km (not very expensive).

if i ignore the first few issue, I would says that those wheel are fine for the price.
    I cant say that they are faster than my model B Planet X, 1600g wheel at 150$ bought 2 years ago (Test 3 time on the same road).

Fairwheel bike blog have 2-3 nice articles on hubs. My personnal conclusion is that the the rear hub bearing (4 x 6802) could be bigger and they would be more durable. Front wheel is fine. Again, bearing change are not expensive and you wont get catastrophic failure, just an axle harder to turn.

Again, not a bad wheel for the price, and I am quite confident that Sean is still working hard to improve them (i look that the 2013 rim is more toroid that before on is new site).

If you shop for wheel, check also wheels on Velobuild site.

My next wheelset will be probably custom build. THere a trend on good hub to go with bigger axle (12 -17 front , 15 -17 mm rear ) and bigger bearing (more load capacity and more durable).
    Bikehubstore have some very affordable hub. I am also looking also at White Industrie hub. Farsport have some interesting carbon and carbon alu rim.

HI, I just notice on is web site that he use Stainless bearing now, so the complain I had about the bearing rusting is now solved. Also, notice the different rim (23 mm toroid) compare to the previous version. Its a bit heavier but in theory, more aerodynamic ie closer to the Zipp profile.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Unhappy Yup.. just broke one as well

Quote Originally Posted by simonaway427 View Post
    Just broke a drive side spoke today. Seem to have broken around the J bend or close to it.

Managed to limp home the 50km on a pretty wobbly rim. Anyone know exactly what kind of spoke is used in the build so I can buy some spares and repair my wheel?

Trying to get ahold of sean, as i just broke a spoke on my s3.0's that are supposed to be the wider stronger sort.. hopefully he'll get back to me with the spoke info i need my bike!!!!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member

Still loving these wheels.....

IMG_20200825_083538.jpg

I'm still riding these wheels and they've been great. I am thinking about upgrading to some Light Bicycle Carbon clinchers though. I recently had to remove the freehub to clean/re-lube it after gettings caught in the rain. The freehub from the Soul wheels looked super similar to some Bitex RAR9 hubs that Light Bicycle offers. Anyone know if the v3 Prodigy hubs from the Soul wheels are actually Bitex hubs?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123