Soul S3.0SL wheelset
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

Soul S3.0SL wheelset

Does anyone out there have any real experience with the Soul S3.0SL wheelset? I have been able to dig up some info on Soul but not alot of recent info (as in the last year or so). These wheels seem to be a good bang for the buck and I would love to have some real input on Soul and especially the S3.0SL wheelset. Thanks for your help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I was considering purchasing a soul wheelset last month. I emailed them and thru their responses, response time, and then later the lack of responses, I got a bad gut feeling about them. I decided to purchase wheels from elsewhere, simply based on my impression from their emails. Take it for what its worth.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    some of their wheels were reviewed on roadcc.com and they were quite impressed for the price. I also contacted them but they mailed back straight away and said their new range is launching in May and that they have no stock, but would contact me with specs and prices as soon as they were relaesed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    I have a set of the 3.0SL and have put over 2500 trouble free miles on mine. Sean is great to deal with and usually responds quick to emails. At the price and weight they are hard to beat--for me anyway. I just ordered a set of carbon wheels from him and can't wait for them to come in.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Another proud owner of 3.0SL's with 700+ miles logged and no issues. I'd have no issues in buying more from Soul in the future. Just keep in mind that he runs the business and is extremely busy (answering sales, customer issue, vendor, etc. emails himself, prototyping and most importantly riding) so the reply may take a bit longer. My dealings with Sean pre AND post sales has always been more than acceptable - I sometimes forget he's on the other side of the planet. Great product, price and customer service - highly recommend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I bought a couple sets from Sean and had a couple issues.

These were 2.0's.

The first set is still going strong and now on my backup ride. The rear hub had an early issue, but Sean was fast enough and sent me new springs for the pawls and I repacked them with tri-flow. The set has been flawless since, with many thousands of miles.

The second set was a supposedly upgraded 2.0 version, but it never seemed true to me. The rear rim developed "t" splits around several spoke insertion points, discovered just after any warranty claim could have been made.

Sean is a good guy and maybe would have made good on the rim, but I opted to buy a new set from Dave Thomas out at SpeedDream instead.

Well worth the couple hundred extra in the long run, I already feel confident to say.
    “When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking.” ― Arthur Conan Doyle

Patent Technology Body Building Supplements

https://BodyBuildingSupplements.com

Celebrating 27 Years. REAL RESULTS START HERE.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks guys for replying. I have now ordered the Soul S3.0SL wheelset from Sean. I must say I'm impressed at how fast he responds to my emails, especially considering he is 12 hours ahead of me. I am pretty new at buying wheels so I'm really excited to get this wheelset.

A couple of ?s for mikekam and tinman143--how well do these wheels roll, are they stiff, and how close to the advertised 1400 gram weight did your wheels weigh? Thanks for your help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    I've had the 3.0SL for over 5000km.

THey are as perfect as they were on day 1. The hubs are fantastic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I recently bought a pair of Easton Ea90 aero wheels and am not really happy. They have a very mild aero profile and don't like crosswinds very much. Plus I don’t really like how they look on my bike. I bought them from PB and I am told their return policy is amazing so I plan on taking them back. The Eastons are only 32mm in the rear and 28 up front. Am I correct in assuming that really isn't aero enough to make a difference? I think I read somewhere that you have to be close or over 50mm to really have any benefit.

I was looking into trying another wheelset and was considering SOUL. Their website seems odd the way you navigate it, and the dates imply it hasn't been updated recently.

How do you actually pay for the wheels? I don't want to send credit card info or anything like that.

How are the actual weights?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcmkx2000 View Post
    I recently bought a pair of Easton Ea90 aero wheels and am not really happy. They have a very mild aero profile and don't like crosswinds very much. Plus I don’t really like how they look on my bike. I bought them from PB and I am told their return policy is amazing so I plan on taking them back. The Eastons are only 32mm in the rear and 28 up front. Am I correct in assuming that really isn't aero enough to make a difference? I think I read somewhere that you have to be close or over 50mm to really have any benefit.

I was looking into trying another wheelset and was considering SOUL. Their website seems odd the way you navigate it, and the dates imply it hasn't been updated recently.

How do you actually pay for the wheels? I don't want to send credit card info or anything like that.

How are the actual weights?
    Dcmkx2000, I had almost exactly the same problem as you. I stopped at a PB shop about 5 weeks ago and picked up a set of 2011 Easton EA90SLX's for $400. I didn't know much about the SLX's so I had a friend do some quick research on the wheels b4 I bought them. At $400 it seemed to be to good to say no too. Once I got home I did tons of research etc. on these wheels and quickly discovered alot of negative reviews (love em or hate em) on this wheelset. I mounted them and rode them for about 100 miles. They rolled extremely well (R4 hubs), but I wanted to take them back b4 I threw a spoke even though I only weigh 130-135lbs.
    I did alot of research on the Soul wheels and found little info, but the info I found was by far mostly positive. I emailed Sean at Soul and have since ordered the S3.0SL wheelset. I should be recieving them this week or beginning of next week.
    Sean has been very prompt on replying to my emails. (btw, all communication with Sean is through email) For placing an order, tell Sean what you want, and when he asks for it, send him your paypal account email. He will bill your paypal account for whatever you purchased from him. The process was very easy and quick. So far I have had a very positive experience with Sean.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the info caadmatt. I have been emailing sean about decal options as my bike is black with lime green accents, so i dont really want any red on my wheels. He said he could do soul in all white in three places but only on one side. I dont understand why only on one side, but dont want to keep bothering him with emails.

PLEASE post some pics of your wheels when the show up if you can. I am really interested in the decals. I hope you enjoy your wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Soul seem's to use Kinlin rims and taiwanese hubs. You could just buy all the parts from bikehubstore and have a lbs build them for you. Then you don't have to deal with overseas shipping.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003

He said he could do soul in all white in three places but only on one side. I dont understand why only on one side, but dont want to keep bothering him with emails.
    A new website is being developed for all the new products, unfortunately the products are not ready so new website has not been completed. The current website has not been updated because the products have not changed for 3 years, that is how much we believe in our current product lineup. I did the current website myself so yes it's far from perfect. Hopefully the new one will be better.

We don't take creditcard information or charge when wheels are not ready to ship. We charge via paypal.

What I meant in regards to the decals was that EACH side of the rim will get 3 SOUL decals in white.

The second set was a supposedly upgraded 2.0 version, but it never seemed true to me. The rear rim developed "t" splits around several spoke insertion points, discovered just after any warranty claim could have been made.
    Hi A, warranty claim periods are there as a safe guard. If there were issues with the rim, we do all in our power to resolve it even if it was outside the warranty period. If you still have the rear rim, send me some pictures of the issues and we will get it sorted.

The greatest con being published now is that our wheels use KINLIN rims, and "TAIWANESE" hubs.... First part of the statement is just a lie, second part is partially true. We have not used any rims made by Kinlin for close to 4 years now. Our rims are produced by another manufacturer, and our new rims are going to be from our own molds just like our hubs. Most people will try to convince you otherwise as they try to justify that all wheels are just the same, so select the cheapest option. This is also a gross misrepresentation as there are other associated factors to consider when purchasing wheels.

Yes our hubs are made in Taiwan, hence are 'taiwanese'. However they are our own designs and molds. They are so good some manufacturers have decided to copy them, so you will start seeing them on other brands shortly. This is not a rant but a reality of the business. We already have a new version being worked on for next year, but a year or two after that you will start seeing them on other wheels as well, and so the cycle continues.

My e-mail replying skills are not the best in the world. I try to answer emails first thing in the morning which means about 5-6am, before I try to head out for a ride. Sometimes the replies appear rushed and maybe abrupt. But trying to get through a lot of e-mails in half an hour is sometimes very difficult. I apologise if I have come across rude, which has never been my intention.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I recieved my Soul S3.0SL wheels today, and to say the least, I'm very pleased! They came well protected in a solid, thick cardboard box with stuffing. The wheels were in perfect shape with no scratches etc.. I weighed the wheels on an ounce letter scale. The rear wheel was 27.5 oz (782g) and the front was 22 oz (625g) which would equate to 1407g. Very impressive, only 7 grams off the advertized 1400g. These weights were rims only--no scewers or rimtape/rim plugs. I also weighed the scewers and got around 93grams. Again, not bad for an advertised weight of 90grams. I'm tickled because I'm dropping a total weight of 612g off my old Shimano RS10s (tires n tubes etc included). I will try to post the wheels on the bike. The pics I took will not upload for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

the fist
    I will be curious to see the new product.

I still wouldnt mind a set of white 2.0 with red hubs nipples spokes
    FlexiSexual

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Nice looking wheels. I'm torn between XPert and the SL. Tell me how smooth the hub is!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Are the stickers glossy or a matte finish? Let us know how they feel climbing, and how stiff they are. Thanx for posting the pics.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Dcmkx2000---the stickers are pretty glossy and actually look quite professional. I have not been able to test ride the bike yet to get any "feeling" etc for the wheelset. I only weigh 130-133lbs so I'm not expecting to feel any flex. I'm hoping to get a ride in tomorrow sometime.

Wonton007---the hubs spin extremely smoothly. For me the SL was a no brainer because of my weight and because I live in northeast Ohio where we have plenty of beautiful hills to climb.

I can gladly post more pics if anyone wants some closeups etc..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Man that looks slick. I'd have to go Campy but it's probably just as smooth. Food for thought I guess.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I have my Soul S4.0 for nearly 2 years now (since June 2010) and have had zero problem after more than 6000km.

Rolls very smoothly.

I have read that some heavy people over 90kg experienced too much wheel flexing due to the thin spokes (to reduce wheel weight) when climbing.

However, I'm only 63kg and it is not a major issue for me.

I would say that Soul wheels are generally good value for money ......much cheaper than comparable very branded good wheels.

For e.g. a US$450 Soul wheelset is comparable to a US$700 very branded wheelset.

(My post count is <10 to post any picture). Add http in front :

://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/98/69580349.jpg/

://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6046/69580349.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011

got mine

I ordered and paid Sean on 21/4/12 and received these today 26/4/12. They look and feel great, nice finishing, the decals are great and as you can see from the pics I even got some free water bottles thrown in with alongside my skewers, I'm not going to lie, when I picked the package up I couldn't understand what the hell the customs guy was asking me about "juice" for, then he opened it and we found 12 x 500ml bottles of water inside! At least the wheels didn't weigh all that. Anyhow will report on how they ride asap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thankx for all the great pics guys....I am really thinking I might have to order a set. If I get the 3.0 SL, and I weight 165-170 lbs, do you think I am going to be too heavy since they are so light?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Thankx for all the great pics guys....I am really thinking I might have to order a set. If I get the 3.0 SL, and I weight 165-170 lbs, do you think I am going to be too heavy since they are so light?
    They put weight limit for the Soul S3.0 SL as 210 lbs and they do not seem to make any weight limit distinction between the Xpert ((with S-series hubs and 3.2mm bladed spokes) and SL (with SOUL PRODIGY hubs and 2.3mm bladed spokes).

As my post count is <10, I can't post link. Do a google search for Soul Bikes.

Personally, I believe that the Xpert, with wider spokes, is probably stiffer than the SL but at a weight penalty of 140 grams per wheelset (1540g vs 1400g).

Stiffness is as important as weight.

The Prodigy hub of the SL is better than the S-series hub of the Xpert.

You may want to email Sean (of Soul bikes) about whether the S3.0 SL will have no flexing issues for your weight or explore the possibility or wisdom of a custom S3.0 with Prodigy hub + 3.2mm bladed spokes (may be only for the back wheel).

Or if you are concern about wheelset weight, the possibility and wisdom of customizing a Soul S2.0SL (1330g) with Prodigy hub + 3.2mm bladed spokes (add another 100g at most compared to the 2.3mm thin spokes).
    Last edited by SwimRideJog; 04-26-2012 at 08:13 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    i've put about 1200 miles on my S3.0SL's. I'm ~200 lbs. haven't had to true them yet, they roll smooth, but at my weight, they aren't as stiff as a 36 spoke big boy wheelset. still, i like the wheelset and they're my everyday wheel on my most ridden bike so i think that speaks for itself.

at 165 lbs, i don't think you should have any issues, but i would also concur that the expert should be stiffer than the SL.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    After more than 6000km with my Soul S4.0 (with thin 2.3mm spokes) since June 2010, I think it is still seemingly true (or may be not so untrue that I have an issue with it) and I still have not changed the bearings (despite change recommended after 5000km) because I think if there is no problem, don't try to fix it. haha

Personally, I think it's partly because I'm only 63kg (5 ft 9) and not a powerful rider.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast