Spare tubes when running tubeless road tires? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    FWIW, in 40 years of driving (and only 1 car that required inner tubes), I have never seen a tubeless tire that didn't need bead sealant to mount. I once actually mounted a tire onto a rim dry, and that thing leaked like a MF for the next week, when i had it dismounted, and had some bead sealant put on.
    Which is different from tubeless bicycle tire sealant. It performs a different job.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    .I just got a set of GP5000TL. Man those things seated like butter. I had used my compressor, but pretty sure I could've done it with a floor pump.
    I bought GP5000 before I knew about sealant or air compressors/tubeless pumps. They seated on my wheels with no problem using the pump in the usual manner. Negligible air loss overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

changingleaf
    It's always a good idea to bring a tube even though I usually don't. In about 12 years of riding tubeless road tires I've had two cuts in the tire (sidewall) that didn't seal or at least didn't hold enough air to get home, so I had to install a tube.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    It's always a good idea to bring a tube even though I usually don't. In about 12 years of riding tubeless road tires I've had two cuts in the tire (sidewall) that didn't seal or at least didn't hold enough air to get home, so I had to install a tube.
    IMHO, not carrying a tube is one of those things like not keeping an eye on the gas gauge in your car. The resultant situation is TOTALLY PREVENTABLE.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Spare tubes when running tubeless road tires?

I pulled a thorn out of my gravel tire in the garage. Sealant squirted out. Wouldn't seal. Tire pressure was about 50 psi. Garage temperature was about 45-50 degrees F. Using Orange Seal Endurance. Put some fresh sealant in and it sealed. Why wouldn't it seal? Temperature too low? There was plenty of sealant in the tire, as there was a sizable puddle of it on the floor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    I pulled a thorn out of my gravel tire in the garage. Sealant squirted out. Wouldn't seal. Tire pressure was about 50 psi. Garage temperature was about 45-50 degrees F. Using Orange Seal Endurance. Put some fresh sealant in and it sealed. Why wouldn't it seal? Temperature too low? There was plenty of sealant in the tire, as there was a sizable puddle of it on the floor.
    I've had good luck turning the wheel so the puncture is on the bottom while sloshing it around a little, others do the same while tapping the wheel on ground also.
    Either way, why tempt fate by not carrying a tube?
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I've never seen anything like that. I've seen a few roadside repairs and tires always came off just fine.
    Any of my wheels tires changes are done easily by hand. I can usually get them off without levers.
    You've never seen Reynolds rims have you

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    You've never seen Reynolds rims have you
    Nope. But I've seen many others that come off fine.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    I've had good luck turning the wheel so the puncture is on the bottom while sloshing it around a little, others do the same while tapping the wheel on ground also.
    Either way, why tempt fate by not carrying a tube?
    Yeah, did that. Still didn't seal. The sealant must not work as well at lower temperatures, although I would think 50 degrees isn't that low. I always carry a tube. Also, I recommended never pulling out a thorn when out in the road, in case the sealant doesn't work.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, did that. Still didn't seal. The sealant must not work as well at lower temperatures, although I would think 50 degrees isn't that low. I always carry a tube. Also, I recommended never pulling out a thorn when out in the road, in case the sealant doesn't work.
    I've been using Orange Seal Endurance for years. I use it year round down into the 20°'s. Never had a hole not seal (never had it spray either).

I agree, I wouldn't pull a thorn.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    The fact that it worked when you put new sealant in suggests that the existing sealant had separated, and so the thin liquid was what was coming out of the tire. If anything, sealant should work better in cold weather because it will get thicker with dropping temperature. Had the bike been sitting for a while, such that the tire wasn't spinning and therefore the sealant wasn't being sloshed and mixed?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    The fact that it worked when you put new sealant in suggests that the existing sealant had separated, and so the thin liquid was what was coming out of the tire. If anything, sealant should work better in cold weather because it will get thicker with dropping temperature. Had the bike been sitting for a while, such that the tire wasn't spinning and therefore the sealant wasn't being sloshed and mixed?
    Yeah it was sitting. Just before a ride. Also, I'm not shaking the bottle enough before putting sealant in the tire. Thus, it's thinner than it should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Also, I'm not shaking the bottle enough before putting sealant in the tire. Thus, it's thinner than it should be.
    Yikes

Sealant is a mixture of rubber particles suspended in liquid. If all your putting in your tire is the liquid it ain't gonna work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Yikes

Sealant is a mixture of rubber particles suspended in liquid. If all your putting in your tire is the liquid it ain't gonna work.
    I gave the bottle a few shakes. The problem is if you shake the bottle too much, OS foams up and then how do you know how much you've poured out in a cup to inject or pour in the tire? I guess I'm going to have to figure out how much it weighs per fl. oz. and weigh it beforehand.

Rubber particles? You sure? I know there's some glitter in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by mfdemicco; 3 Hours Ago at 01:48 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12