Spoke Length

Thread: Spoke Length

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013

Spoke Length

Need to replace a few spokes in a Giant SLR1 wheel. Spoke length is 287mm. Seems like normally stocked spokes are either 286 or 288. What would be the best length to get?

changingleaf
    Take a look at the rest of the nipples and see if the spokes are threaded all the way to the top of the nipple or above. If so, then get the 286. If the spokes are 1mm below the top of the nipples then get the 288.

[REDACTED]
    Can I ask why you are replacing a few spokes?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch16 View Post
    Need to replace a few spokes in a Giant SLR1 wheel. Spoke length is 287mm. Seems like normally stocked spokes are either 286 or 288. What would be the best length to get?
    Make sure you measure the width. I did some work on my buddies SLR rear wheel that was a 2:1 lacing, 21 spoke wheel. It had Sapim CX Sprint on right side Pulling and CX Rays on right side NON pulling

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Friend of mines wheel. He had some spokes that kept getting loose and a few seized nipples. Will probably end up replacing all spokes and nipples. Specs. in Giants literature say 287 drive side and 291 non drive side. I will wait to actually measure once I take it apart. Will take note where existing spokes end in nipple befor taking apart.

[REDACTED]
    Friend of mines wheel. He had some spokes that kept getting loose and a few seized nipples. Will probably end up replacing all spokes and nipples.
    Good idea at this point. Only a matter of time before problems surface with other nipples. May as well re-lace the wheel.

Specs. in Giants literature say 287 drive side and 291 non drive side. I will wait to actually measure once I take it apart. Will take note where existing spokes end in nipple before taking apart.
    ALWAYS do you own measurements. NEVER trust what is in manufacturer specs. I and others have found errors in manufacturer specs. You want to find this out BEFORE you lace the wheel, not AFTER.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein